• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Work rifle help

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking for ideas for an easily portable rifle for me at my work.
    I want to be able to load for it also. I have varget and Staball match.
    I need something to carry around outdoors, on tractors, arc’s, side by sides. Etc
    Would like something with enough energy to kill at 300 yards.

Currently, I’m eyeing a shorty in 223, 6.5 Grendel.

Or on the more expensive end, a 20” Ruger SFAR 308 and cutting it to 16”

Rifle will be suppressed with a dead air nomad.

Any ideas are appreciated

We built this rifle for a customer not long ago. 16.5" carbon barrel in a folding Hnt26 chassis. Mack Bros Evo II in 22arc.

Pretty handy rifle. It weighed in something ridiculous like 8lbs with the optic. Any short action cartridge would work. The target was shot with Hornady 22arc eldm 88gr factory ammo.

Something like this would do well folded up in a tractor, truck, side by side, etc.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 5.29.30 PM.png
    IMG_2907.jpeg

OP referenced ruger SFAR as the “more expensive end” but full custom on hnt26 or tac ops😂
    I laughed too... lol, while I'd love to drop thousands upon thousands...

This is going to get beat up, and used to shoot critters, and if anyone ever got ballsy enough to climb the fence to the owners property, a 2 legged critter.

• Haha
    Reactions: Haney
    There is a POF 308 in the PX for a good price.

Says he couldnt get it to run reliably suppressed.

16” piston gun.

1-4 or 1-6 and would be slick

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Says he couldnt get it to run reliably suppressed.
    Then it wouldn’t be good for me lol.

I’m really wanting a short Grendel or 6arc but the lack of speed with temp stable powders is a turn off.

Looking like a 12.5-14.5 223 with varget and 69-75gr will probably be the answer

If you're going to reload, you could get your barrel set back a bit and an ackley reamer touched in. Pick up a couple grains worth of speed.

The poors must still be at work, since thats what we need to do to live.. Ill wait for some of them to get home, eat some beanie weenies and throw me some budget suggestions :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    How about a Ruger Ranch Rifle? Tikka T3X?

Hell the deal a few years ago was the Mauser M18 for $450 in any caliber you wanted.

Is your employer going to buy you this rifle, can, and pay you to reload? If not fuck all that noise.

Reactions: 458win and Gustav7

Hell the deal a few years ago was the Mauser M18 for $450 in any caliber you wanted.

Is your employer going to buy you this rifle, can, and pay you to reload? If not fuck all that noise.
    My old man is a farmer and wanted a tractor gun for coyotes that could double as a deer gun. He bought a Ruger Ranch in .350 legend for $425ish at a local place. I was very surprised at its accuracy with some decent deer loads.

Reactions: 308pirate
    I will echo the Ruger Ranch Rifle from above. It is a true working rifle.
    Your purpose sounds like what I do with a 300Blk version. Truck, Tractor, UTV, on foot and sometimes a horse.
    When it falls in the mud you can take a hose to it and wash it off. Dust, take the air hose to it.
    The magazine is my only complaint, new version solves this.
    Or get a AI with a Tangent, LOL.

Reactions: SolidCopper

He is not paying for it, but he is taking care of me financially, pretty well. I wont say his name, but he's a very well known person in a certain sport event.

I am also allowed to use his private hunting land, skeet range, and 1000 yard rifle range, that is all on the property Ill be working... so this is just for me mainly, so I dont have any issues with yotes or any other critters.

Ill look into the 223 ruger ranch, probably cheaper than I can build a "cheap" AR.

I need something to carry around outdoors, on tractors, arc’s, side by sides. Etc

Cz Alpha 600 is a woodsman dream rifle in 7.62x39 anything in within 150 yards should be easy pickings

CZ 600 Trail is a compact rifle.
    I did tested it with S&B Match ammo, and the best group it did shoot with 77gr HPBT ammo.
    I had a suppressor on, and it did go under 1 MOA, even the factory says, that it is a 2 MOA gun.
    TRAIL.jpg

I did tested the S&B match ammo, from the lightest to heaviest.
    69gr did not worked well, light and heavy it did liked.
    Twist on 223rem is 1/7""

Budget option. Pick up one of the trued 700s in the for sale section , have it cut down throw in a krg or side chick

Both these are SAC 700s 6.5 with the barreled action being around $1000

If I were you and were on a budget and only doing 300 yards I’d be highly tempted to do a AR with a great barrel and a enhanced upper like SgtofArms or Seekins

518AC570-9A17-4CC3-B0B7-067A5E46A56A.jpeg
    6766711D-88E9-4821-AB9B-9FA00D00A7E6.jpeg

Get the 308 Ruger SFAR Plameto State has them for $999, free shipping and 4 easy payments.
    Building your own, would get you exactly what you want.
    But if you don't want to, the Ruger is available at a decent price.
    They did have issues with the SFAR on early ones, so I don't know if those have been completely worked out by Ruger.
    Check into that before purchasing
    I built my own 6 lb 308 Win with 16" barrel.
    It's lighter than many AR 15s.
    A joy to carry and its accurate, with power to get most any job done.
    308 match, to surplus FMJ, for penetration, ammo available everywhere, or components for reloading, with plenty of energy past the needed 300 yds.

I’ve heard some models have aluminum receivers. And accuracy is less than satisfactory
    You heard correctly about the aluminum receivers BUT NOT ABOUT THE ACCURACY
    I have the 600 alpha in 7.62 x39
    It’s a 1 or less than 1 moa at 80 yards which is where it should be for the caliber and ammo I am shooting (PPU 123gr Round Nose Soft Point). I really believe
    It’s the best woodsman rifle ever (sorry mdl 70 carbine)the whole package was put together for the new age hunter
    The receiver has the scope bases Millled in the receiver so any Type of Weaver/Picitinny ring will work fantastic. I can’t say enough good about it and I’m a die in walnut and blue Winchester featherweight 70 threw and threw!!!

Reactions: Bandit31 and BurtG
    Here's another update:

In the last week, ive gotten a little stupid and made the following purchases:

POF Edge piston 556
    Seekins NX15
    Leupold mk4 hd 1-4.5 for the seekins
    mossberg 940 jm pro

What will end up being the hunting/work rifle is the deal I jumped on a few days ago, KYGUNCO had browning x bolt max long range in 6.5CM 22" marked down to $540 shipped with an addition 8% off for a rebate..... I know the x bolts dont get a lot of love here, but for $490 after rebate, I couldnt pass it up.

Having it cut down to 18" when it comes in and throwing a Tract Toric 2.5-15 scope on it.

Here's another update:

In the last week, ive gotten a little stupid and made the following purchases:

POF Edge piston 556
    Seekins NX15
    Leupold mk4 hd 1-4.5 for the seekins
    mossberg 940 jm pro

What will end up being the hunting/work rifle is the deal I jumped on a few days ago, KYGUNCO had browning x bolt max long range in 6.5CM 22" marked down to $540 shipped with an addition 8% off for a rebate..... I know the x bolts dont get a lot of love here, but for $490 after rebate, I couldnt pass it up.

Having it cut down to 18" when it comes in and throwing a Tract Toric 2.5-15 scope on it.
    Your rifle, have it your way...and it will meet your criteria, at your price. It doesn't have to be the choice of others.
    Excellent... choice for you.

Ruger American or ranch version. Run 50 or 55 gr vmax and fuck the rest of the nonsense. Keep it simple.

Build a 10.5" or 12.5" 6mm ARC... You'll still be fine out to 300 and it do everything any other AR15 platform cartridge can, but with better ballistics. I'm a huge 6.5 Grendel and .300 BLK fan, but honestly, had the 6mm ARC and heavy-for-caliber 6mm bullets come out before the 6.5 Grendel, there would be no need for the Grendel, other than maybe slightly better on hogs due to the 0.5mm larger diameter, and slightly heavier bullets.

Another option that might get some laughs... But I handled one of these Friday afternoon at my LGS, and without question (accuracy aside, because I haven't shot one) as far as the budget 16.5" .300 BLK bolt guns go, the new CVA Cascade FEELS better and tighter and smoother than the Ruger American Ranch and Ranch Gen2... The action was smoother, less bolt slop, the action felt stronger (thicker) and had more weight to it on the backend, and the stock felt better. Trigger was impressive for a factory budget rifle, too. Better than the Rutgers. The .300 BLK 16.5" version has a 1:8 twist, and 70º bolt throw. So, it has nice features. I'm considering getting one and then selling my Ruger Ranch (Gen1), but we'll see... I might end up just building a custom SBR .300 BLK once Aero drops their Solus .223/.300 BLK bolt face option.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BurtG
    Tac Ops tango 51, and no need to load.
    OP, this. Buy once, cry once. Yet to shoot mine yet but it's a piece of art for sure. Still need to weigh it with the scope attached.

Last edited:
    Another option that might get some laughs... But I handled one of these Friday afternoon at my LGS, and without question (accuracy aside, because I haven't shot one) as far as the budget 16.5" .300 BLK bolt guns go, the new CVA Cascade FEELS better and tighter and smoother than the Ruger American Ranch and Ranch Gen2... The action was smoother, less bolt slop, the action felt stronger (thicker) and had more weight to it on the backend, and the stock felt better. Trigger was impressive for a factory budget rifle, too. Better than the Rutgers. The .300 BLK 16.5" version has a 1:8 twist, and 70º bolt throw. So, it has nice features. I'm considering getting one and then selling my Ruger Ranch (Gen1), but we'll see... I might end up just building a custom SBR .300 BLK once Aero drops their Solus .223/.300 BLK bolt face option.

Shot one of the CVA Cascades in 300 blk, shot very good. If I was looking for a budget bolty, I wouldn't feel bad about having one.