• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working on a new 1300 yard range in South East Michigan, need help with 2A fight! AND WIN A CADEX CDX-40 in .375CT Package!

Oakland Tactical

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
We want to be able to host trainings and competitions in south east Michigan, we are in federal court and have sued the township that is restricting us on 2A charges. Our case is ready to be disputed in court and we need some extra funding to litigate it. We need your help and you will have a 1 in 500 chance to win a $14,000.00 Rifle package!
https://rafflecreator.com/pages/385...nge-rifle-and-help-us-build-a-1300-yard-range

Best of luck with the litigation and the range. I grew up in that little one traffic light burg (well, it used to be) and have taken my share of deer from woods and fields on that very road. It's too bad time finds me about 800 miles away.

Great Area, we find it ironic that we have such a red county, shooters and sportsman, but the township is anti gun range.

All those kids from middle school who volunteered for hall monitor eventually graduated but miss bossing other people around. Just because. They're just better than everyone else, you know. At least they know that.

Us too. We keep getting kicked in the balls. Stripe has deactivated our raffle (fund processor) once again after going over this with them. The political activism is running rampant in this country. We have to do the raffle manually now.
Keep pushing folks!

Us too. We keep getting kicked in the balls. Stripe has deactivated our raffle (fund processor) once again after going over this with them. The political activism is running rampant in this country. We have to do the raffle manually now.
Do you have tickets at the store? I'll stop by tomorrow afternoon if you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrock8000
Need more info on how to manually do the raffle. My brother is in SE MI and would like to participate.

Could a ticket be purchased over the phone for out of state participation?

Pretty sure I’ll also be purchasing a ticket next weekend when I’m around. I wish there was more that we could do to help.

Pretty sure I’ll also be purchasing a ticket next weekend when I’m around. I wish there was more that we could do to help.
Tell everyone you know that is into LR shooting, 3gun or any type of firearm competition. We need them all to call the township and state their support for the range. We need the transition from winning the case to building a range smooth. If they know people want it they will be less likely to appeal the case and delay it further.

Tell everyone you know that is into LR shooting, 3gun or any type of firearm competition. We need them all to call the township and state their support for the range. We need the transition from winning the case to building a range smooth. If they know people want it they will be less likely to appeal the case and delay it further.

They request input via e-mail: office@howelltownshipmi.org

Also, the next township meeting is on Monday 10 Aug at 6:30pm (Eastern). It will be a Zoom meeting.

Its a great range, and might have to stop by the shop and pick up a ticket or two on my next day off. Mike is a great guy.

"The township's planning consultant..."

People who become planners are a special kind of evil. They view all of mankind like a potter views a lump of clay, theirs to mold however they wish by virtue of their belief that they are superior to everyone else.

Reactions: 308pirate
1596986859076.png

Reactions: Adrock8000
I wish I was closer. My in-laws and wife from Milford but we make a few trips up there annually to visit them. I've been looking out for a range nearby. Hopefully by the next time I go something will be in the works, I'd love to help any way I could.

We want to be able to host trainings and competitions in south east Michigan, we are in federal court and have sued the township that is restricting us on 2A charges. Our case is ready to be disputed in court and we need some extra funding to litigate it. We need your help and you will have a 1 in 500 chance to win a $14,000.00 Rifle package!
https://rafflecreator.com/pages/385...nge-rifle-and-help-us-build-a-1300-yard-range
Im
Who we need to call? I’ll post this on amcon Michigan as well

Who we need to call? I’ll post this on amcon Michigan as well
There is no one really to call at this point, it is in the hands of the 6th Circuit now. If the 6th Circuit decides that we have a Second Amendment right to training and practice, as they did in Heller and Ezell, with historically common firearm (Rifles and Shotguns) citing ranges in municipalities that practice exclusionary zoning will be possible.

Indoor ranges already receive this constitutional protection. It has never been applied to NEW outdoor ranges which are always turned down unless they are in the middle of nowhere. This will set precedent and range operators (at least in the 6th Circuit) will be able to build a lot more ranges in areas closer to where population centers are and zoning boards will stop it.

This will be HUGE for the long range shooting and action shooting community. Hopefully it will spread nationwide.

I’m spreading the word! We need a nice range where you can actually train! Are you taking donations???

Reactions: lash
I'm semi-local in Plymouth, anything you could use help with? This would be an incredible win and future resource in this area of the state.

It's been a while since we've heard anything. What's the current progress or result?

Look likes it's on appeal to the 6th Circuit, case has been submitted awaiting decision.

21-1244 Oakland Tactical Supply, LLC, et al. v. Howell Township, MI adec

Last edited:
@Oakland Tactical Any updates you can share on this?
A lot has happened since then. The Sixth Circuit, following the Bruen decision, sent it back to the District Court in August of 2022 to determine whether there was a right to operate a 1000 yard shooting range, protected by the Second Amendment, under the standards announced by the Supreme Court in Bruen.

February of 2023, the district court's answer was "No" because shooting at 1000 yards is not connected to self defense, and Second Amendment rights are for individuals, not gun ranges.

On appeal to the Sixth Circuit again, the oral argument was last month. The judges seem skeptical that shooting at 1000 yards is protected at all, since that is militia useful and not self defense useful.

A lot to read there, but worth reading.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Howland and lash
Also, here is a recent Courthouse News article on the case.

"Even assuming that the Second Amendment offers ancillary or corollary protection for some forms of training," he said in his opinion, "there is no way to read into the amendment's 'plain text' a right to use and construct a 1,000-yard shooting range."

Attorney Pete Patterson of the Washington firm Cooper and Kirk argued Thursday on behalf Oakland Tactical and five of its customers, and was asked at the outset by U.S. Circuit Judge Raymond Kethledge to spell out his clients' claims.

"We are not asserting a right to build a range," Patterson told the panel, "we're asserting a right to train."

For what it is worth, they brought out the big gun attorneys of second amendment litigation.

Ibid.

[Federal Circuit Court of Appeals Judge] Kethledge mentioned one of his clerks served in the Marines and trained at 300 yards with his rifle, while the Army generally trains at 100 yards, and asked why 1,000-yard training is necessary for the average gun owner.