• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working out the kinks of a 1st build

baddeerhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2011
Omaha, NE
Over the past few weeks I have been researching and talking to some people about what I need for a quality 1st build. Of course it's on a budget and this website along with another friend have been very helpful in determining what I want out of my 1st LR rifle build. What I haven't been able to figure out is what are some accessories that someone who's getting into LR shooting going to need? By that I mean other than what is put on or into the rifle itself. For example; should I order the MidwayUSA Pro Series Competition shooting mat? (It's %50 off!!)
Do I buy a Chronograph? A nice Torue wrench? Reloading station? I have access to a reloader via a couple different friends but it would be a great addition to this hobby.

My intentions in the beginning of this hobby will be purly target shooting this upcoming summer, and in the range of 500-600 yards on a private farm. (I don't expect to run out and shoot 1000 yards)

Thanks guys, I'm glad I found this web site and I'm happy to officially be apart of the hide.

Re: Working out the kinks of a 1st build

While reloading is a key to getting the great groups you see, you first need to buy stuff like a bipod, rear bag, earing protection, eye protection, and tons of other little tid bits that you will accumalate over years of shooting. Since you say you have access to reloading equipment at your friends, i would focus on some of the stuff i mentioned plus im sure people will fill in the blanks i left out. good luck

Re: Working out the kinks of a 1st build

a chrono and re load set-up isnt needed right away. you can buy some really good factory ammo like blackhills or hornady until you get accustomed to LR shooting. a shooting mat is nice, but not totally necessary. i'd focus on building a solid rifle platform and getting lots of trigger time. after a while youll start to realize the extras you need and the ones you may not. i never use a mat, but grass, gravel and the like dont bother me. if anything, get a decent spotting scope and log book. then shoot the barrel of your new toy! either way, you have come to the right place to learn. ive been shooting for years and i still learn a lot on here.