• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Working out the weight.

Muskox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Sucky Kentucky
I am splitting hairs on what to order. The new integral rail Defiance action is looking good, especially since Surgeon is doing limited non-full rifle sales.

I want a 338 Lapua and I want the weight below 17 pounds with a 34mm Nightforce, Hendsolt or Schmidt Bender on it.

I want as long a barrel as I can make work at the AMU contour.

And I want a Manners MCT-5A stock or a Terry Cross stock.

How would you make this work?

Mounts will be Spuhr.

AICS bottom metal system.

Last edited:
I think with the AMU barrel and the adjustable stock it will be tough to hit the 17lb mark. Most of the scopes you have listed are nearly three pounds.

I had a GA Precision with the following specs:

Templar action (standard tenon length)
Badger scope rail
Manners T3 (non-adjustable) with Badger M5 DBM
GAP #7 barrel (roughly a M40 profile), finished at around 25.75"
Badger FTE brake
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 scope w/ NF Ultralite rings

I wanna say that it weighed around 17.5-18lbs in this configuration. The weight grew to just under 20lbs when I switched the stock to a AICS 2.0 and swapped out the NXS for a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50. (Note: these weights come from my bathroom scale, so there could be at least +/- 0.5lbs of error)

The action is probably not going to be what makes or breaks the weight of the rifle - the barrel profile and length, stock selection, and optics choice will have more of an impact.

FWIW, my upcoming .338LM build will be based upon a Stiller Tac338, but this will not be a weight-conscious project (not when I'm starting with a barrel that weighs more than most hunting rifles).

Last edited:
Thanks,

How much does the Defiance intermediate port heavy tang bolt action weigh? Defiance doesn't have it on their website. And I am overseas doing contractor work. (not that kind of contractor work :( ).

Terry's stock is about 5.3 pounds.

A AMU barrel at 30 would be 7.4 pounds approx.

Spurh 34mm mount with bubble would be about 7 oz.

Ways to save weight:
-aluminum (non integral) rail
-ultralight rings
-lighter scope: March
-non-adjustable stock
-lighter barrel contour
-barrel fluting
-adl instead of dbm

You really just need to prioritize your desired specs, and decide which ones you are willing to compromise on. Also, are you wanting to include a bipod or sling in the 17lb?

From what you have listed, you will need a very short barrel to make weight. It may be helpful to make a spreadsheet of all the options you are considering with their weight to help you compare. Also, you can play around with this barrel eight calculator to determine what different barrel lengths and contours will weigh. Border Barrels barrel weight calculator

Is there a weight this gun "338" needs to be so that it does'ent kick the crap out of you?

You just have to eat your wheeties. The 338 at about 9 plus pounds with a good brake is workable. No brake and your into the 15 plus range before it belts you less.

Ways to save weight:
-aluminum (non integral) rail
-ultralight rings
-lighter scope: March
-non-adjustable stock
-lighter barrel contour
-barrel fluting
-adl instead of dbm

You really just need to prioritize your desired specs, and decide which ones you are willing to compromise on. Also, are you wanting to include a bipod or sling in the 17lb?

From what you have listed, you will need a very short barrel to make weight. It may be helpful to make a spreadsheet of all the options you are considering with their weight to help you compare. Also, you can play around with this barrel eight calculator to determine what different barrel lengths and contours will weigh. Border Barrels barrel weight calculator

I want it to be under 20, I think Idaho has a stupid law on the books about a rifle has to be under 17 pounds. If I ever hunt Idaho, i'll makes sure I use a different rifle.

As for light weight options, I am not interested in any of those. I don't want anything that will sacrifice what I am trying to do with it.