• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working up loads for my Tac-ops

ekaphoto

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2006
Northern California
Got some trigger time today with my Tac-ops infidel. For those of you who missed it the Test target Mike shot was .015 center to center at 100 yards. I shot a .020 group with this rifle myself. This was with Federal gold medal match. I also tried some black hills match. While it did well again it is NOT GMM.

Today I tried some reloads. The two powders I tired were IMR 4064 and Verget. Long story short I can not come close to the GMM with my handloads. Don't get me wrong. All groups shot very well, just not as good as the GMM. Mt best group was 45 gr Varget Here is the photo right after I shot it. BTW this is a five shot group.

771739873_7qJQY-M.jpg

The funny thing about my rifle. The cold bore shot is, well the same as the others so far. While I have not shot this enough to say it will be the same every time so far that is what it does ie cold bore is right in there with the rest.

I am running a premier scope through its paces for someone else. Its a tough job but somebody has to do it. :roll: Anyway more photo's for your enjoyment.

771744021_gPn7o-M.jpg

771744364_YHEiJ-M.jpg

771739772_rsJET-M.jpg

771739780_fxA8m-M.jpg

Re: Working up loads for my Tac-ops

Why dont you chrono the FGM load then load your rounds to match the same speed and see if that match the FGM accuracy.

if it shoots like that what is there to work-up? I guess the question is what are you looking for? The only thing to do next is take it out further. If I had a load that shot into one bug hole I would start moviing it out further to see what happens. IMHO of course.

John,

Nice groups with the Black Hills, but as you know the Tac Ops .308 chambers are cut for FGMM 168 ammo. And those chambers are cut perfectly. Having fired both BH and FGMM through your Infidel you know that the BH and FGMM feel different as you chamber and close the bolt on them.

My brother and I are going to start reloading again, and when we measured the cases of some un-fired and fired (through <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">my X-Ray 51</span></span> ) FGMM 168s' <span style="font-style: italic">the brass dimensions were the very same</span>. Not "really close" but <span style="font-style: italic">the very same</span>. This tells me that the cartridges fit the chamber so perfectly that the brass cannot expand in any direction.

Have you tried reloading the brass from the FGMM ammo you've shot? I've never used Federal brass for reloading because I've always heard that Federal brass is too soft. However, maybe it would work in a Tac Ops chamber since the brass hasn't changed dimensions after firing?

The wall thickness and other metrics of the BH brass are going to be different from the FGMM brass, but maybe you could try resizing the BH brass to FGMM dimensions and see what happens. I'm going to do that for some BH brass I fired through my A3 G. Maybe get ahold of some F210Ms' and see what I can cook up.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it shoots like that what is there to work-up? I guess the question is what are you looking for? The only thing to do next is take it out further. If I had a load that shot into one bug hole I would start moviing it out further to see what happens. IMHO of course. </div></div>

Thanks. The thing is my rifle shoots even better with Federal gold metal match. With FGMM the rifle is capable of groups starting with .0xx. It has done this more than once. Like you said however I really should be happy with a load like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John,

Nice groups with the Black Hills, but as you know the Tac Ops .308 chambers are cut for FGGM 168 ammo. And those chambers are cut perfectly. Having fired both BH and FGGM through your Infidel you know that the BH and FGGM feel different as you chamber and close the bolt on them.

My brother and I are going to start reloading again, and when we measured the cases of some un-fired and fired (through <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">my X-Ray 51</span></span> ) FGGM 168s' <span style="font-style: italic">the brass dimensions were the very same</span>. Not "really close" but <span style="font-style: italic">the very same</span>. This tells me that the cartridges fit the chamber so perfectly that the brass cannot expand in any direction.

Have you tried reloading the brass from the FGGM ammo you've shot? I've never used Federal brass for reloading because I've always heard that Federal brass is too soft. However, maybe it would work in a Tac Ops chamber since the brass hasn't changed dimensions after firing?

The wall thickness and other metrics of the BH brass are going to be different from the FGGM brass, but maybe you could try resizing the BH brass to FGGM dimensions and see what happens. I'm going to do that for some BH brass I fired through my A3 G. Maybe get ahold of some F210Ms' and see what I can cook up.

Keith </div></div>

I did notice the differance when chambering the FGMM vs my hand loads. I was using Lapua brass. It has never been fired. I like your idea of using federal brass. BTW that group was one of my handloads. The BH groupd well, but not quite as well as this load. The single holes were bigger. Unfortunatly the wind pick up and there are howling winds so I going out again today is not an option.