• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working up loads???

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
I'm new to reloading. I was wanting to know, when you guys are loading for a new recipe, how many rounds do you load at a time? I mean, are you loading 10 and then shooting 2 five shot groups or are you only loading 3 or 4 or 20?

Re: Working up loads???

I can only speak for myself, but I usually load 20 total. If I'm tweaking the load I will load 10 with one variable and 10 with another. I shoot 4 five shot groups and after seeing how they preform I will decide where I want to go from there.

I been working up a load and I learned I was doing it wrong. I'm going by the reloading sticky at the top. I'm getting better results with less ammo. I have shot 11 rounds with different charges and found 4 that grouped 2 1/2" at 600 yds. I'm going to take those 4 shots and load charges around them to find my charge to use.

Kevin

you should give us examples , it will help.

so i'll give you one , lets say i got my powder X, bullet X , cartridge X

i read ( mostly on the hide
smile.gif
)that my ideal charge weight for X , is 42.5 grains.

if im a total fucking virgin i suggest
2 rounds at 39 grains ( to understand how pressure increases)
2 rds @ 40gn
2 rds @ 41 gn

those are for learning purposes only. So pay attention to recoil and muzzle blast, as they are about to increase.
5 rds @ 41.5
5 rds @ 41.9
5 rds @ 42.3
5 rds @ 42.7
5 rds @ 43.1

mmmm k , .4 gn increments up to the accepted max. ( or about 2-3 grains over most people's ideal charge weights, in this case , up to around 44.5-45 gn) until you see primer craters , flatness , extractor marks on the case head, or the recoil begins to feel excessive.

determine your COAL , seat about .015 behind the lands, and do this charge weight test on paper.

then do a seating depth test in the same fashion , but instead of .4 gn increments , change it to .005 increments ( .025 , .020, .015 , .010 , .005 behind the lands)

be careful , good luck