• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working up loads

FNG

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2005
Allen, TX
I am in the process of working up a load for my 308 spsv. I am using Win brass, 210m, re-15 and 168 amax. I was going to start with 42.5g,42.7g, 43.0, 43.2, 43.5 and so on to 44.7. Is this a good start or should I start a little higher with .5g increments? Also what is the norm for number of rounds per loading 3,5 or? TIA Scott

Re: Working up loads

depends on how carried away you want to get as to how many per group, etc. I just worked up a load yesterday with my sps-v
168smks and 175 smks, started around 39.5 w/ the 175s in .5gr incr. Started the 168s at 42 in 5 gr.
3 rnd groups
the rifle didn't care what bullet as long as i pushed it w/ 42 gr varget.

Thanks guys for the info. dmg308, that was an interesting read. I am going to look at how I was going to do it and will probably follow that guide. Thanks again.

I do 15 rounds and shoot each one at a separate 1/2" dot at 100yd. I never trust load testing and selection to a single group of any increment.

Obviously, this is kind of generous with handloading components, and this is not the best time to be doing such component usage. Unless you don't have even a reasonably accurate load at all for your rifle, I'd stick with what works for now, and leave the non-application handloading for times when components are more available and reasonably priced.

I get the impression you're kinda new to handloading. This can compound the error rate-related component usage. For the purposes of newguy ladder testing, I'd start by selecting loads that load guides recommend as accuracy loads and bracketing that load with one or two charge increments either way.

I would suggest that increments of 1% (in this case .4gr-.5gr) are clearly and adequately small enough for initial ladder testing.

I don't have specific experience with either the propellant or the projectile, so I can't give safe advice regarding charges, but I'm guessing from similar components that your charges don't sound too far out if the ballpark. Where this question is concerned, you need to get the advice of someone (else) who actually knows these components.

Greg