• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working up some loads but have some questions

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
This past weekend I was working up some loads to verify my previous results. I was loading for a Rem 700 26" barrel in 1/12 twist. I loaded from a range of 41grn to 45.5 grn IMR 4895 pushing a 155grn AMAX. I moved up in .5 grn increments and shot 9 rounds per increment. The results show that 41-42.5grns yielded decent groups at approxiamately .5 MOA @ 100yrds. 43-43.5 was shooting .25-.30 inch groups. As I moved up to 45.5grns, the groups were opening up dramatically. At 45.5grns, I was shooting 1" groups.

So it seems that the load for my gun is at around 43-43.5grn. This seems awefully low and I'm not sure if the velocity will get it to 1k yards.

I'm wondering what I can do to maintain accuracy while upping the velocity?

Some details of the gun

Rem 700 action blueprinted with 26" Krieger stainless steel barrel in AICS stock.

Hornady A-Max 155grn
Winchester .308 New cases (only neck sized out of the box)
IMR 4895
CCI 200 Primer
Bullet is seated exactly on the lands.

Re: Working up some loads but have some questions

My 700P shoots .33" groups at a 100 yrds. 42.5g of varget, lapua brass, federal 210m primers, 168 gr hornady a-max bullets - sends them out @ 2676fps.

Try shooting your groups farther....say at least 300 yards and 500 would be better. You might be surprised!!

I will try and take it out on a farther range. I might get the chance next month at approx 400 yards. I guess I will load these again and see the outcome. Thanks!