• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Working with Superformance powder - tips?

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I've had uniformly terrible results in two calibers now, with multiple bullets. For those of you using this stuff to good effect, do you have any tips or tricks?

Does it at least make good fertilizer?

I haven’t used it, but you could try a magnum primer and additional neck tension, and maybe anneal the neck correctly.

What issues are you having? Accuracy, speeds, spreads?
1. Velocity is all over the place.
2. Accuracy is poor (compared to H4350 or H4831sc).

Thanks for your posting
Good to know as I’ll stick with other powder

Superformance likes to be at the top end of charge weights. I use it in 30-06 (180gr) and 6.5 Creedmoor (140gr).

In my limited experience with ball powders they seem to perform better with a complete case fill and even slightly compressed. I also use large rifle magnum primers with any ball powder.

Work up slowly to find maximum charge weight.

For my .30-06, I was hoping to maximize performance with 195 TMK and 208 ELD-M. Accuracy wise, the .30-06 had a clear preference for H4831sc and H4350. With the 208s, H4350 and H4831sc were both around 2600 fps and SF yielded around 2675. To be fair, I never saw pressure with the SF, so it might have had more to give. I loaded up to 57.9 grains of SF. Shooting SF, that rifle was a 1 MOA gun. Shooting H4350 (52.9 grains) or H4831sc (58.8 grains), the same rifle was a 1/2 MOA gun.

Anyhow, long story longer, I've since parted ways with the .30-06 (for a song, too) and figured I might revisit the SF behind some 6.5 140s to grab a little performance back on the 20" tube. That was the impetus. I appreciate that Hodgdon lists 43.8 as book max @ 60.5 ksi for an astounding 2820 fps with a Swift A-frame. 2720 fps might be reasonable out of a 20" gun (and I'd certainly be happy with less), but only if it's consistent.

When I developed this load initially, it was doing 2680 fps out of a 22 inch barrel. I loaded from 43.2 grains to 45.2 grains for that final work-up. Settled on 44.2 grains because the two charge increments above showed inconsistent velocity/big ES. I had assumed that's because at/above max the progressive nature of the powder was causing erratic burn/pressure - could be a bad assessment on my part.

I shot it today out of a 20" Proof CF that seems close to my 22" based on some of the other ammo I chrono'd. That said, I clearly missed a trick somewhere. The SF loaded 140 ABs (old school, 1.405" length versus 1.368" for current) were at 2.8 COL. Definitely not in the lands, but the blunt shape of this bullet puts them about 30-40 thou off in a SAAMI cut chamber. My ES today was 151 on a 5 shot string that included an inadvertent pressure test load (which is why it was a five shot string). MV average was 2703 and the "hmm, time to stop now" shot came out at a blistering 2787 fps (LabRadar).

I had read mixed reviews on consistency with SD’s using this powder. I loaded up about forty rounds (20 at 45.0gr) and 20 starting at 43.5 and increasing by 0.2 up to 47.3. The ladder data was unremarkable. I was half a grain over (Hornady published) max at the top end and didn’t see any pressure issues. My numbers were 2,728 starting and 2,977 at the top end (using a Magnetospeed chronicle). I was using Hornady cases, Large Rifle Primers and Hornady 130gr ELD-M in a stock Savage 110 Elite Precision. Where I was disappointed, was in the 20 rounds loaded at 45.0. My SD was 10.97 with an ES of 34. When I’ve used H4350 my SD’s on 130’s are in the ballpark between 6 and 7 and 140’s have been closer to 6. I’ve since read more, and it seems that Superformance powder may be better suited for heavier projectiles (147gr). Thinking I may try it with 147 ELD-M’s, but I’m hesitant to waste bullets (and barrel) in a time of such supply restrictions. I don’t hate the powder, but I currently don’t trust it for low SD’s, especially at lower bullet weights.

Good fertilizer, huh? Send it to me and I will be glad to (safely) dispose of it for you.

I have had no issues using Superformance with 143/144 grain rounds in my 6.5 CM RPR. I really wanted to use lighter bullets in my MPA BA. I found that the MPA shot well with both 144 SMK’s as well as 130 grain Berger VLD Match and Hunting and 130 grain Sierra SMK. Despite what has been said, I have had excellent results using SuperFormance with the 130 grain bullets, both the Berger and the Sierra’s. The MPA shot both brands using a moderate load if 44 grains with the Sierra’s and 44.5 grains with the Berger VLD Match.

Accuracy has exceeded the RPR which was pretty darned good. Velocity has been running at 2830FPS for the Sierra’s and 2840 for the Begers. Slow compared to most, but the velocity that showed the best accuracy in testing for both bullets. As a note, when breaking in the barrel, the 144 SMK’s shot great.

Good fertilizer, huh? Send it to me and I will be glad to (safely) dispose of it for you.

I have had no issues using Superformance with 143/144 grain rounds in my 6.5 CM RPR. I really wanted to use lighter bullets in my MPA BA. I found that the MPA shot well with both 144 SMK’s as well as 130 grain Berger VLD Match and Hunting and 130 grain Sierra SMK. Despite what has been said, I have had excellent results using SuperFormance with the 130 grain bullets, both the Berger and the Sierra’s. The MPA shot both brands using a moderate load if 44 grains with the Sierra’s and 44.5 grains with the Berger VLD Match.

Accuracy has exceeded the RPR which was pretty darned good. Velocity has been running at 2830FPS for the Sierra’s and 2840 for the Begers. Slow compared to most, but the velocity that showed the best accuracy in testing for both bullets. As a note, when breaking in the barrel, the 144 SMK’s shot great.
Boss, if I had the ability to ship Haz I'd have it on the way today. Let me know if you're around SW GA some time ;-). I'll keep working the pound that's open and see if I can escape mediocrity. Also have a bunch of IMR 4955 for trade ;-). Nothing wrong with that powder, but I sold the guns that shoot anything I would load with it... guess I could always try it in the Creed...