• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

World Championship Gold Medal Winning 300 Meter Rifle.

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Margaret Murdock, Olympic and World Champion, recently passed away. I had the opportunity to purchase her 300m Free Rifle that was presented to her by the Officers and Men of the USAMTU upon her leaving the Army. The rifle had the stock used by her to win the Team Gold Medal in the 300m Free Rifle Competition at the 1966 World Shooting Championships in Wiesbaden, Germany. The rifle still has the "Kontrolle" sticker on it from the competition. She also used the rifle to win Gold and Silver medals at the 40th World Shooting Championships in Phoenix, Arizona. I suspect the barrelled action was purchased by the unit and built up by them and presented to her. I had to re-inlet and bed the stock to fit the new barrelled action, make a new forward action screw, and mount a new rail to accept Anschutz sights. It does have a unit marked Kenyon trigger. The gun is shooting about 1/4 minute of angle. I have a lot of shooting memorabilia from past champions that were my contemporaries. I have Lones Wigger's Anschutz prone rifle that I used last year to win the Texas State Outdoor Prone Championship. I have a Walther GX-1 that belonged to Olympic Gold medalist David Kimes, and a Prone rifle of Herb Hollister's that he gave to Lones Wigger.

DSCF0406.JPG

Kontrolle sticker, 1966 World Shooting Championship, Wiesbaden Germany
    DSCF0407.JPG

Cpt Murdock shooting this rifle and on her way to winning medals in the 300m Free Rifle event at the 40th World Shooting Champonships in Phoenix, AZ
    murdock 40th world championship jpeg.jpg

DSCF0408.JPG

DSCF0409.JPG

DSCF0413.JPG

DSCF0414.JPG

DSCF0416.JPG

margaret-murdock-amu.jpg
    margaret-murdock-on-podium.jpg

murdock 4.jpg

Thanks for posting.
    Can you please clarify why you re bedded or “new barreled action”
    I might have missed something.

Thank you.!

Margaret Murdock, Olympic and World Champion, recently passed away. I had the opportunity to purchase her 300m Free Rifle that was presented to her by the Officers and Men of the USAMTU upon her leaving the Army. The rifle had the stock used by her to win the Team Gold Medal in the 300m Free Rifle Competition at the 1966 World Shooting Championships in Wiesbaden, Germany. The rifle still has the "Kontrolle" sticker on it from the competition. She also used the rifle to win Gold and Silver medals at the 40th World Shooting Championships in Phoenix, Arizona. I suspect the barrelled action was purchased by the unit and built up by them and presented to her. I had to re-inlet and bed the stock to fit the new barrelled action, make a new forward action screw, and mount a new rail to accept Anschutz sights. It does have a unit marked Kenyon trigger. The gun is shooting about 1/4 minute of angle. I have a lot of shooting memorabilia from past champions that were my contemporaries. I have Lones Wigger's Anschutz prone rifle that I used last year to win the Texas State Outdoor Prone Championship. I have a Walther GX-1 that belonged to Olympic Gold medalist David Kimes, and a Prone rifle of Herb Hollister's that he gave to Lones Wigger.

View attachment 8403219

Kontrolle sticker, 1966 World Shooting Championship, Wiesbaden Germany
    View attachment 8403220

Cpt Murdock shooting this rifle and on her way to winning medals in the 300m Free Rifle event at the 40th World Shooting Champonships in Phoenix, AZ
    View attachment 8403239

View attachment 8403221

View attachment 8403223

View attachment 8403228

View attachment 8403229

View attachment 8403240

View attachment 8403232View attachment 8403234

View attachment 8403235
    I never met Ms Murdock but I have met and did a bit of work with Lanny Bassham a good number of years ago. He was still extraordinarily complimentary of her and told us, as he apparently said at every opportunity, that he didn’t feel he beat her at the ‘76 Olympics and that’s why he shared the top spot on the podium with her. A class move, IMO.

1714000560644.jpeg

Thanks for posting.
    Can you please clarify why you re bedded or “new barreled action”
    I might have missed something.

Thank you.!
    The rifle came from her estate as a barrelled action and stock. I assume at some point CPT Murdock had the rifle rebarrelled but never got around to putting it back in the stock. The new barrel had a much larger recoil lug.

From the estate:
    The Rifles of Margaret Thompson Murdock - ‘76 Olympic Silver-21 Gold Int’l Medals.
    #1 USAMU Presentation 300 International 300 Meter Rifle--Remington 700 action, .308
    Caliber, Stainless Steel Barrel-1 in 14” twist, Kenyon trigger, LOP -12 1/2, Anschutz Thumb
    hole stock extendable-2”, Curved rubber butt plate, hook, brass presentation plaque, never
    fired. Shipping Included. Storage oil in barrel. FFL Required

1714002500344.png