• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

World's Oldest Light Bulb...Burning After 110yrs

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
These days, bulbs burn out in a matter of weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may not glow brightly, but it sure glows consistently.

Livermore-Pleasanton%20Fire%20Department%20oldest%20bulb.jpg

A light bulb hanging in the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department has been burning steadily for exactly 110 years, according the Centennial Bulb website. Since the "Centennial Bulb" was first turned on, the stock market crashed and was reborn, the nuclear age began, two World Wars were fought, cars and planes were developed … and through it all the bulb kept burning.

In a 2010 interview with the Daily Mail, bulb protector Steve Bunn ascribed the light's success to good old fashioned engineering.

"They certainly don't make them like this anymore, it's a real sign of how some things were better made in the past," he said.
</div></div>

Source - Fox News

Re: World's Oldest Light Bulb...Burning After 110yrs

Good post. Im into high end audio and use vacum tube amplifiers; which is what that is, a vacum tube. The old ones made by Western Electric are probrably the best ever made. Later on came Sylvania, Mullard (Brittish), Telefunken and Seimens (German....Seimens worked on the nuclear bombs for Hitler). The last I heard, all the major US airports still use vacum tubes in their radar systyms, or have them as back up, as a high altitude nuculear blasts electromagnetic pulse can wipe out every chip in a thousand mile or more, radius.

The Ruskies and Chinks still manufacture them but no where as higha quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post. Im into high end audio and use vacum tube amplifiers; which is what that is, a vacum tube. The old ones made by Western Electric are probrably the best ever made. Later on came Sylvania, Mullard (Brittish), Telefunken and Seimens (German....Seimens worked on the nuclear bombs for Hitler). The last I heard, all the major US airports still use vacum tubes in their radar systyms, or have them as back up, as a high altitude nuculear blasts electromagnetic pulse can wipe out every chip in a thousand mile or more, radius.

The Ruskies and Chinks still manufacture them but no where as higha quality. </div></div>

I'm still highly qualified to repair AN/R-390A's
smile.gif

Best damn AM receiver ever made. Used to own one...er, 45 actually but I sold em....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post. Im into high end audio and use vacum tube amplifiers; which is what that is, a vacum tube. The old ones made by Western Electric are probrably the best ever made. Later on came Sylvania, Mullard (Brittish), Telefunken and Seimens (German....Seimens worked on the nuclear bombs for Hitler). The last I heard, all the major US airports still use vacum tubes in their radar systyms, or have them as back up, as a high altitude nuculear blasts electromagnetic pulse can wipe out every chip in a thousand mile or more, radius.

The Ruskies and Chinks still manufacture them but no where as higha quality. </div></div>

I'm still highly qualified to repair AN/R-390A's
smile.gif

Best damn AM receiver ever made. Used to own one...er, 45 actually but I sold em.... </div></div>

So AL, do you know if they are still in use in the airports? I know the US Gov still has millions of VT's in storage and occassionally releases a batch at auction.