• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

World's Oldest Sniper Rifle!!! Pic Heavy!!!

USMCSGT0331

🔫
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    www.snipershide.com
    Ok, so it's probably not the world's oldest sniper rifle, but its really old and very accurate for its time period. Here is my Hackenbuchse wall gun from the 15th century:

This thing is an absolute monster! How long is it you ask? 66 1/2 inches or almost as long as a floor lamp:

For another perspective, here it is next to a 19th century percussion rifle:

Alright, now for the details: Of classic 15th century Hackbut/Hackenbuchse form with a very long, extremely well-made, hand forged, smoothbore, heavy, octagonal, 100+ caliber, iron barrel with side-mounted touch-hole and a slightly flared muzzle. An early form of hooded rear "peep" sight; and the underside with its original barrel-pin-loops (for a rudimentary stock). Of early and large size and missing its uppermost hack/loop.

Classic 15th century design with a faceted muzzle and the breech with a rounded breech-plug. Marked on its sides with three, circa 1534, gold-inlayed Papal seals/markings and with several earlier, incised Fleur-de-lis markings of the famed Farnese family. The markings likely that of Alessandro Farnese (1468-1549), who became Pope Paul III in 1534. Additionally marked on the underside of the breech with a large "M/M" within a circular cartouche, maker's mark of classic 15th century style (the marking appears to be un-recorded).

Would like to know how it was deployed and how you acquired it. Calling it a "wall rifle" makes me guess that it was used in defense of a fortified position (castle wall?).

Looking forward to hearing more.

So when can we expect the range report?

LOL ^^^^, want to see that myself.

Neat gun no matter thought.

When I read the topic "worlds oldest sniper" I thought we were going to discuss a little shepherd boy with a sling shot that took out the giant winning the day for Israel.

Would like to know how it was deployed and how you acquired it. Calling it a "wall rifle" makes me guess that it was used in defense of a fortified position (castle wall?).

Looking forward to hearing more.

These archaic guns could be used from a fortified position, such as a castle wall/window, or as a crew served weapon in the field mounted on a saw horse. I acquired it from a fellow collector out on the East Coast and he got it from a European collection.

Here is a etching that was published in Dudley Pope's "Guns" book showing how this Hackenbuchse was deployed:

This massive gun would have originally had a rudimentary stock and needed at least 2 people to operate it. One person would aim and another person would light the charge with either a match or hot wire.

Man! Wish they would have taken better care of the stock. A little linseed oil goes a long way.

All kidding aside, that is a rather BA piece of history.

Ryan