• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worn Our Barrel?

triplecelectric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Valencia, Ca.
How can you tell if a barrel is worn out?

Is there a way to bring it back to life?

What is the cost to buy a new one?

What does the smith charge to put it on?

About how many rounds would it be good for?

Caliber is 308.

Re: Worn Our Barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How can you tell if a barrel is worn out? <span style="color: #FF6666">Accuracy is going to be the big hint but there are others.</span>
Is there a way to bring it back to life? <span style="color: #FF6666">Depends but if it's indeed shot out then no.</span>

What is the cost to buy a new one? <span style="color: #FF6666">Depends on whose you buy but right around $300 for the barrel and $200 to $300 to install it.</span>

What does the smith charge to put it on? <span style="color: #FF6666">See above</span>

About how many rounds would it be good for? <span style="color: #FF6666">I've seen some go 10,000 or more and some die at 5000 depends on how you load for it and how you shoot it.</span>

Caliber is 308. </div></div>

If you were the only owner it is easier to tell. By this I mean to can slowly see the accuracy deminish over time. If you are a new owner it is possible the rifle simply hasn't been shooting the right ammo.

A 308 typically will provide 3000 plus rounds of top accuracy considering the loads were not too hot and copper fouling was removed every few hundred rounds.

with a flash light and good eyes you may be able to inspect the throat for considerable erosion. A mgnifine glass can be used to check out the leading edge on the crown aswell.

On a factory barrel or on that has just had a rough life, a bore polish can be used. There is a couple pastes avalable and even a particular brand of ammo made to smooth out rough spots.

A new match grade barrel blank will run about $250 to $350. A reasonable gunsmith will cut, crown, chamber, thread, polish, and head-space for about $200. These prices tend to vary more with who you choose.

At 6mmbr.com you can find a top gunsmith page where you can explore different options without the fear of poor craftmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

+1 HateCA

However, before you decide to make it a tomato stake, try cleaning it throughly. Might just be badly copper fouled. If that doesn't bring it back, you've lost nothing.

WHAT !!! I can't believer YOU said that !!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

+1 HateCA

However, before you decide to make it a tomato stake, try cleaning it throughly. Might just be badly copper fouled. If that doesn't bring it back, you've lost nothing. </div></div>

Theres a product you can use called Otis Life Liner. It's this moly paste (if I remember correctly) that you shoot through your barrel in this process they have you follow. It will coat your bore and fill in gouges/gashes so that it doesn't affect accuracy as much. It also delays throat erosion if you do it properly. However if you actually shoot out a barrel, the lands not the throat, the only thing I can think of to fix that (exspensive mind you) is to get it cut into a larger diameter cartridge (.308 to .338 or something in those lines). Prolly cheaper in the end to get a new barrel if your lands are worn down too much to stabalize the bullet.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. Other questions.

Arclight what is your definition of proper barell cleaning.

I have been using Butches bore shine and the occasional brass brush until my patches come out clean. Usually takes about 10 to 15 patches after every 100 or so rounds.

The crown looks fine to the naked eye by initial inspection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHAT !!! I can't believer YOU said that !!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

+1 HateCA

However, before you decide to make it a tomato stake, try cleaning it throughly. Might just be badly copper fouled. If that doesn't bring it back, you've lost nothing. </div></div> </div></div>

Shooter,

I told him to clean his barrel... not me cleaning my barrel. Cleaning twice in ~2600rds is more than enough.
grin.gif

Since the cleaning thing came up I'll add this.

If you are one that cleans every 20 rounds or so and still have accuracy issues, stop cleaning it. Some barrels will never shoot to their potential until it's a little dirty.

I clean when accuracy drops off and right now the .308 is over 800 and the .243 I lost count.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are one that cleans every 20 rounds or so and still have accuracy issues, stop cleaning it. Some barrels will never shoot to their potential until it's a little dirty.</div></div>

Exactly what I was thinking. I have owned rifles that required 15-20 rounds to settle in and start shooting, if you have one of these barrels and are cleaning right when the rifle starts to shoot.......

Kirk R

OK one other variable. I took the gun to the range and waited a little longer between shots. Instead of 15 to 30 seconds I waited more like a minute. With what I think is the pet load for the rifle it seemed to tighten up some. But of course I didn't have much of that load. What do you guys think is reasonable time between shots and letting the barrel cool? I gave it a big time cleaning last night and put about 30 rounds through it today so I'm gonna try not cleaning it for a couple hundred rounds as well. I can't tell you guys thanks enough for all the feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK one other variable. I took the gun to the range and waited a little longer between shots. Instead of 15 to 30 seconds I waited more like a minute. With what I think is the pet load for the rifle it seemed to tighten up some. But of course I didn't have much of that load. What do you guys think is reasonable time between shots and letting the barrel cool? I gave it a big time cleaning last night and put about 30 rounds through it today so I'm gonna try not cleaning it for a couple hundred rounds as well. I can't tell you guys thanks enough for all the feedback. </div></div>

That will kind of depend on the contour of your barrel, your stock set up, whether it's bedded or not, and a few other variables. A heavy MTU barrel can get smoking hot and not affect accuracy one bit. Some light weight hunting barrels can only take a few rounds before they get smoking hot and start to walk.

What's your rifle set-up?

The rifle is a GAP build. Not sure which barrel only becuase I think it's a little older but it is a full GAP build heavy 25" barrel, McMillan stock, worked trigger, bedding etc. I bought the rifle here and was told it had about 1800 rounds down the tube but I got it third hand so I really don't know what the barrel condition is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What do you guys think is reasonable time between shots and letting the barrel cool? </div></div>

Here's some examples of a good shooting rhythm:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLrsHZSk7XA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLrsHZSk7XA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And a good way to let the barrel cool.......
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJDjyE3mMxs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJDjyE3mMxs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Damn near had me a coronary there for a min. My old buddy recommending cleaning !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WHAT !!! I can't believer YOU said that !!!!

</div></div>

+1 HateCA

However, before you decide to make it a tomato stake, try cleaning it throughly. Might just be badly copper fouled. If that doesn't bring it back, you've lost nothing. </div></div> </div></div>

Shooter,

I told him to clean his barrel... not me cleaning my barrel. Cleaning twice in ~2600rds is more than enough.
grin.gif
</div></div>

SB I can't tell if your being sarcastic over the internet. That is a great post. Would you think that that rate of fire would affect a quality barrels accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle is a GAP build. Not sure which barrel only becuase I think it's a little older but it is a full GAP build heavy 25" barrel, McMillan stock, worked trigger, bedding etc. I bought the rifle here and was told it had about 1800 rounds down the tube but I got it third hand so I really don't know what the barrel condition is. </div></div>

~2000rds should still leave plenty of life for a .308Win and if it was a GAP build then it's most certainly a custom barrel. What kind of groups are you getting? Have you had someone else shoot it? Have you tried different loads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle is a GAP build. Not sure which barrel only becuase I think it's a little older but it is a full GAP build heavy 25" barrel, McMillan stock, worked trigger, bedding etc. I bought the rifle here and was told it had about 1800 rounds down the tube but I got it third hand so I really don't know what the barrel condition is. </div></div>

If this is a GAP then the rifle definitely has the potential. If your optic set-up is top notch then it all comes down to you and how you drive the rifle. I would highly recommend you get some factory FGMM and shoot that to get a rifle baseline so you know what the rifle is capable of and the rifle doesn’t get the blame for "other" questionable factory ammo or your reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK one other variable. I took the gun to the range and waited a little longer between shots. Instead of 15 to 30 seconds I waited more like a minute. With what I think is the pet load for the rifle it seemed to tighten up some. But of course I didn't have much of that load. What do you guys think is reasonable time between shots and letting the barrel cool? I gave it a big time cleaning last night and put about 30 rounds through it today so I'm gonna try not cleaning it for a couple hundred rounds as well. I can't tell you guys thanks enough for all the feedback. </div></div>

Try it out with some FGMM. If it doesn't group, swallow your pride and let someone else shoot it (I do this all the time-I can hold about 3/4 moa at best when shooting groups.....).

It's a little tough to get the tone out of a computer screen sometimes. I just realized I busted my 100 post cherry on this thread.......You guys are a great help and I sincerely appreciate all the shared experience......kinda like AA.

No it wasn't that one. Mine came with the HTG stock. I've put some FGMM match down the tube and think I'm building some good loads that group better and more consistently than the FGMM. Using Lapua Brass Full Case Prep RE15 42.4 grains CCI BR2 primers about 2700FPS. Optics are NF 5.5-22. I'm getting sub MOA out of it at 100 but get the more than occasional flier. I would think I should be able to get consistent 5/8. What I think I should do is post some targets and have you guys look at it. Maybe I'm being too hyper critical? I really like the idea of letting someone with more experience shooting my gun and see what they do.

Honestly, shooting .5-.7moa groups consistently from a gun that will do it is heavily dependent on the trigger puller.
Rifles are easier to make consistent shooters out of than people.....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifles are easier to make consistent shooters out of than people.....</span>

+1 sobrbiker883

How much load development have you performed? The 308 is a fairly forgiving round, but by no means the easiest to load for.

I think the idea of getting a driver with lots of experience behind it would put the rifle or load concern to rest.

Kirk R

I have built no less than 35 different load variations with the following components. The funny thing is the gun HATES 44gr Varget. The best load I found was the one mentioned before. The weather around here has been anywhere betwee 45 and 65. I'm just a little at my whits end. I'm also shooting 5 shot groups.

168 SMK's
175 SMK's
Varget
RE15
Lapua Brass
Federal Brass
Varrying Lengths
Always used the BR2 primers.

I think you're exactly on the right track reloading-wise. Especially with a GAP, you can't go wrong with the SMK. When I was developing a load for my Savage, I played around with the powder charge ALOT....here's what I'd do: (you may have already done some of this)

1. Work up loads in .2-.3gr increments from the "start" grains to the "do not exceed" grains and shoot 4-5 shot groups.
2. Pick your 3 best groups and shoot them out to as far as you're going to be shooting and see if they hold their MOA measurement at 100yds.
3. Pick the load that BEST holds the MOA measurement (not necessarily the tightest at 100....unless that's all you'll ever shoot).
4. Load that final powder charge in .005" increments from the lands out to about .015-.020".
3. Pick the best group and you're pretty close.

You can continue to experiment with what holds MOA the best out at distances, but you should have a good starting point.

My rifle shoots about .5MOA at 100, but holds that out to distance. I have arrived at loads that have consistently shot .3 or better, but, pilot error or not, could not get them as tight out at longer distances (600+ yds).

Another comment about the barrel...I find that I stop shooting because of mirage in my scope before accuracy diminishes.

Oh...your barrel might also be shot. hahaha

YMMV, there are many approaches to reaching a "pet load"
-Erik

Does your group open as the barrel heats? I am no expert but here is what happened to me and I was told this is a sign the barrel is gone. First 3 shots grouped then opened as the barrel got hot. This is from a Warbird so it has a lot of heat. I am done with the Warbird will rebarrel in anothter cal.
P1050568.jpg