• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Worst Copper Fouling I've ever seen

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
So I bought a used BSF AR-9 carbon wrapped barrel online. Well I went to go clean it and once the carbon came out, I was left with one of the worst looking barrels I've ever seen. The inside of the bore looks like its copper lined. It's crazy how many machine marks there are perpendicular to the bore. I've always heard that you can tell the quality of a barrels manufacturing process by how easy it cleans. Well in this case, BSF definitely wouldn't pass the test for quality IMO.
WIN_20201024_18_46_53_Pro.jpg

WIN_20201024_18_39_22_Pro.jpg

I don't have high expectations for the barrel as it's shooting 9mm through an AR-pistol. I haven't shot it yet either so I don't know how well it shoots. I guess time will tell, but from a borescope perspective this takes the cake for me.

How does it shoot though? :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: Just kidding. I read it.

Get out the J.B paste. Do they make fire lapping bullets for 9mm.

Reactions: tomcatfan
Shoot it don't worry about what it looks like inside. I'm guessing you will be surprised after seeing how rough the barrel is that it shoots so well. I've seen worse tool marks in barrels that shot fine.

The tooling marks are by design. It increases bullet velocity by shedding weight as it travels down the barrel. Based on my experience with barrels like this, your bullets will lose about 15% weight once they leave the muzzle.

For real though, if it shoots, don't worry about it.

Even if it does shoot, it will still be a monster to keep clean. All of my match grade barrels, when I do rarely clean them, it takes less than 10 minutes to do so. I spent 20 minutes just getting the carbon out.

I’ve got a ‘98 Krag with a sewer pipe for a bore.
I’m amazed at how well it shoots with that condition barrel (not that I want one like it for my .22 BR😜).

Yes, try shooting it first. If it shoots poorly, try the various cleaning methods to remove the copper fouling. Fire lapping might be a last resort.
Good luck!

I’ve got some boretech cu remover on the way. I just want to clean it so I’m starting at the same spot when I compare it to the faxon. I don’t have high expectations for either barrel though.

I’ve got some boretech cu remover on the way. I just want to clean it so I’m starting at the same spot when I compare it to the faxon. I don’t have high expectations for either barrel though.

So then why do you keep buying bargain barrels?

If it shoots who cares? Just because it has copper fouling doesn’t make it a poor shooter, in fact I’ve seen plenty of barrels that wouldn’t shoot worth crap until they were fouled I clean when accuracy dictates.

So then why do you keep buying bargain barrels?
The Faxon is what comes on the Faxon Bantam pistol I bought. I picked up the bsf with the intention of doing a build.

After I priced things out, the bantam checked all the boxes I was looking for at the price I was willing to spend. I didnt know much at all about AR-9’s but I found that it can be way cheaper to build a budget AR15 carbine than an AR-9 pistol.