• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worst firearm you've ever purchased, and the one that surprised you?

jpop8807

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2022
    Pueblo, CO
    I was just reading the thread on what all do you own and your gun journey, and all the funny responses it got me thinking of my firearm journey. So if you would like to join in go for it.

Worst purchase-When stationed at Hood this guy in 2nd Brigade was selling his deployment gun. A sig 556xi, with his OIF dates engraved and that stupid logo Rakasan people put on everything they walk by. I zeroed the irons, the rear site was almost all the way right, but I got it zeroed, Then I put on a old Trijicon rm-01 trijicon. No matter what I did I couldn't zero it. Turns out the whole front rail was canted. Sig told me if I am the original owner I could sent it in for warranty work, apparently, this was a known issue. I asked if I wasn't how much would this cost? They told me if its just the rail not too much, but the rail piston system and all that could be off which would cost me damn near what I paid for the gun. I think it's at a pawn shop in Colorado Springs now. unless a 101 guy saw it with that logo then it's in thier possession lol.

Surprisingly good impulse buy- Walther PPK. I saw one at my gunsmiths for sale, and I immediately imagined myself in a suit, surrounded by sexy women, and with a British accent, my Aston Martin parked outside. I got it for a good price (can't believe new those fuckers go for like 8-900 dollars). I purchased it then after realizing I'm fat, don't own a suit, drive a dodge, and my gf is pretty but not James bond girl pretty. It was used, I took it out to the mountains, I was honestly surprised at how accurate it was for a little .380. Also, it ate everything I put in it.

Worst:

Hands down Serbu BFG 50. Looked like it was assembled from drain pipes, 30 moa base came installed backwards, trigger was over 9 lbs and bolt hung up on the trigger hammer which eventually had to be pushed down by hand to close the bolt

Most surprising:

I shouldn’t say most surprising but one I should have bought sooner and would saved money on many other builds. My Accuracy International AT. Hands down the best impulse decision to sell other rifles and pay for. The one gun that is a pleasure to shoot, dead nuts accurate and reliable. Built like an absolute tank and since I bought here in the px for about $3k it’s one I truly feel like the money I spent was absolutely worth it

Worst: 1891 Argentina Mauser that someone had cut down to carbine size and done a poor job trying to bend the bolt. I was young and dumb at the time and the internet wasn’t even though of yet, so I could not quickly surmise that a 1891 Mauser could not be worked over like a ‘98 Mauser. All I know was I had $60 to burn and burn I did. I still have it because it would probably cost me $60 or more just to get rid of it. I need to pay more attention to these gun “buy back” offers and dump it at one of those, then take the money and buy something decent from someone else in line.

Most Surprising: I actually have two that tie for this slot. I picked up a used two barrel set Sig R93 in 2001 for only $2100. I had no idea how much they would appreciate in price nor how much I would fall in love with the gun. Stupid accurate and pleasure to carry in the field. The second surprise is a Marlin Cowboy 336 30-30. It shoots 1 moa or less with just about anything I put in it, it’s easy on the shoulder, and it balances nice with the heavier octagon barrel. I didn’t know lever guns could be this accurate.

Last edited:
    Worst, Benelli supernova.

Ran fine for 1 day. I was ready to throw it in the river shooting geese the second day because the elevator would stick up and shells would just drop out of the bottom when the pump was cycled.

I eventually took it apart and fixed the catch in the trigger group so it wouldn't hang. Not until it sat in a closet for 10 years because I hated it, but didn't want to just pass the problem on.

Best? Damn Springfield XD. 4" service model. It has eaten everything I've ever put in it, has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and gets oiled every 5 years.
    Surprised me for a "not a Glock" $450 pistol.

Worst -> HK VP70...no competition
    Most Surprising - Ruger Mini 14...I had bad luck with Ruger hunting rifles but couldn't afford an M1A. So I bought this kind of ugly rifle in 1983 for $225 used. It shot pretty damn well though. Wish I still had it

Well, I didn't "purchase" it, but Llama 1911 in .45. A buddy gave it to me, it was a POS, I gave it back to him the same day...not sure what ever happened to it, he probably gave it to another one of our buddies.
    LMFAO I have one like that but I kept it my brother in law was sucking on money but he never just takes my cash. I gave him 60 bucks and he gave me a berretta .25acp the one that looks like a m9 but fits in your hand and the barrel pops up. I looked it up on gunbroker they go for 300-400. I think they don't make them anymore. I can't hit much accurately past 10 feet. My GF likes it. I told her if she has to use it shoot all ten bullets and run just in case.

Most Surprising - Ruger Mini 14...I had bad luck with Ruger hunting rifles but couldn't afford an M1A. So I bought this kind of ugly rifle in 1983 for $225 used. It shot pretty damn well though. Wish I still had it
    I’m impressed you owned a VP70 regardless of anything else. I‘ve wanted a P9S or an HK4 for years…just to have.

Worst:

Hands down Serbu BFG 50. Looked like it was assembled from drain pipes, 30 moa base came installed backwards, trigger was over 9 lbs and bolt hung up on the trigger hammer which eventually had to be pushed down by hand to close the bolt

Most surprising:

I shouldn’t say most surprising but one I should have bought sooner and would saved money on many other builds. My Accuracy International AT. Hands down the best impulse decision to sell other rifles and pay for. The one gun that is a pleasure to shoot, dead nuts accurate and reliable. Built like an absolute tank and since I bought here in the px for about $3k it’s one I truly feel like the money I spent was absolutely worth it
    Bro but that allows you to shoot 30 moa lower than you could on a 0 moa incase all you do is down-mountain shooting lmfao. I had to google it. How much was that thing?

OOO nice I'm jealous. After stumbling on the AI thread and seeing how much they go for, and how many of you on this site own them. I was about to break out my old basic training knee pads you know the shitty ones that make your knees sweat. Figured it might be the only way to get to shoot one. LMFAO

10mm Kriss Vector. Worst.
    1982 Anschütz Mod Mark 2000. Aperture peep sights and the first group I shot with it at 50 yards was under an inch. Surprised.
    Oh no how come? I've never shot a vector of any type. I feel like all the gun tubers are always on the nuts of both 10mm and the vector. I figured that would be a match made in heaven.

Nice I hear those are actually really good rifles. Hell ya man.

Worst - AMT Hardballer. Jamamatic.

Most surprising - Star Model 28. Not that accurate but dependable/durable.

Most disappointing - Wilson CQB. Should be renamed CQT (Close Quarters Target) Extremely accurate but not dependable unless you are shooting Wilson mfg ammo, mild target loads. Forget Winchester Ranger or Federal defense loads. Wilson Combat? Nope. Wilson Target.

That is funny because the biggest piece of shit I ever owned was a Ruger Mini 14. This was MOP. Minute of Pie Plate. That thing was absolutely terrible. Only good thing about that gun was it was a factory folder so I sold it for much more than I paid for it.

Most suprising - an imbel FAL that is freakishly accurate

Reactions: BLEE and jpop8807
    I’m impressed you owned a VP70 regardless of anything else. I‘ve wanted a P9S or an HK4 for years…just to have.
    I have owned pretty much all of their pistols. The ones I regret selling are the P9S Sport Package I had and the USP Match. I am down to just the ones that I truly found to be special

worst: Kimber Solo.

most surprising: Kimber Raptor II
    I actually just bought my first 1911. This was before I sold my house and was sucking on money. ( I don't make the best choices in life). I asked my gun smith about Kimber he said the same thing. They can be hit or miss. I asked him if he had a 1911 I could afford, I told him it didn't have to be hi-speed I kinda like the ww1/2 looks. He had a new auto ordinance sitting out from the new manufacture in MA. Its like the 1911A1 type. That thing actually shoots great for the price I got it. Only issue it ejects straight up, and sometimes back. I now wear eyepro everytime I shoot after catching a hot 45 brass to my right eyeball.....and crying alot.

Reactions: Darayavaus
    Worst gun CZ52 trigger would slap so hard your finger would sting, lots of bests but I have to give it to my
    Bull barrel Ruger MKII pistol that SOB just runs anything any weather any time.

Reactions: jpop8807
    Worst: 1891 Argentina Mauser that someone had cut down to carbine size and done a poor job trying to bend the bolt. I was young and dumb at the time and the internet wasn’t even though of yet, so I could not quickly surmise that a 1891 Mauser could not be worked over like a ‘98 Mauser. All I know was I had $60 to burn and burn I did. I still have it because it would probably cost me $60 or more just to get rid of it. I need to pay more attention to these gun “buy back” offers and dump it at one of those, then take the money and buy something decent from someone else in line.

Most Surprising: I actually have two that tie for this slot. I picked up a used two barrel set Sig R93 in 2001 for only $2100 in 2001. I had no idea how much they would appreciate nor how much I would fall in love with the gun. Stupid accurate and pleasure to carry in the field. The second surprise is a Marlin Cowboy 336 30-30. It shoots 1 moa or less with just about anything I put in it, it’s easy on the shoulder, and it balances nice with the heavier octagon barrel. I didn’t know lever guns could be this accurate.
    Thats the funniest shit I've heard. Such a good idea on how to get rid of lemons. Do you give you like a gunbroker/what the guns worth price lol.

I had to google the R93 badass looking rifle. Great job on that one. I've been wanting a lever action 30-30 they look fun. Downside it seems like most cowboy action calibers are expensive like the rounds.

Reactions: KYAggie
    Toss up, cannot choose just one:
    Rem 11-87
    Weatherby Vanguard 22-250 with 1.5" accuracy guarantee, it used every available millimeter of the guarantee.
    Glock 48 for a kid, I need to own part of that one.

A Thompson Center semi auto 22LR surprised me, wish I had never dumped it.

Worst : Remington 870. The thing would jam and fail to eject constantly. Called Remington, they said I had to shoot Remington shells from it.

Most surprising: Ruger mkiv.
    DUUUUDDDEEEE I have a 870 tactical its one of the older ones with the bead site. I had the same issue. Buck and slug no problem. ANY bird/target shot I would have to slammed it as hard as I can on the ground to get the shell to eject. I had a better experience with remington though this was 2014. They had me ship it in they paid for everything. Turns out anything build on the 870 express of that time frame had to have something honed out so when bird shot opened up with the crimped ends it wouldn't get stuck. I got it back and now no issues.

I've been looking into buying a mkiv are they known for having issues? I hear they are super accurate.

I bought a Custom 9mm bolt gun a while back that was a disappointment.
    3 or 4 years ago I bought a Norinco .22 bolt gun for $90. Shoots fantastic
    and is my official around the house suppressed rifle.

Worst, Benelli supernova.

Ran fine for 1 day. I was ready to throw it in the river shooting geese the second day because the elevator would stick up and shells would just drop out of the bottom when the pump was cycled.

I eventually took it apart and fixed the catch in the trigger group so it wouldn't hang. Not until it sat in a closet for 10 years because I hated it, but didn't want to just pass the problem on.

Best? Damn Springfield XD. 4" service model. It has eaten everything I've ever put in it, has tens of thousands of rounds through it, and gets oiled every 5 years.
    Surprised me for a "not a Glock" $450 pistol.
    Shit I was actually thinking of buying one of those before I got my 870 just to say I own a benelli :ROFLMAO:. That's funny as hell you're a better man than I.

You know what PSA had the XDM on steriods on said the one with the optics cut threaded barrel FDE for like 450 for black friday. I don't know why they aren't more popular. From those people that I have met that run them. They love them. Like no issues, I mean I read that they aren't even springfield some European company design that doesn't have any issues.

I actually just watched a review on TFB on the mini 14 he said that some of the old ones were very unaccurate but they run great. That a certain serial number and up shoot great, and accurately. I kinda dig the looks same here I don't have m1a money but now the mini 14 is pricey.

I love all my guns for one reason or another , I only dislike the firearms I do not yet own grr they just make me so mad they are not in my collection where they belong yet . lol

That is funny because the biggest piece of shit I ever owned was a Ruger Mini 14. This was MOP. Minute of Pie Plate. That thing was absolutely terrible. Only good thing about that gun was it was a factory folder so I sold it for much more than I paid for it.

Most suprising - an imbel FAL that is freakishly accurate
    That's exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. I hear the accuracy has been greatly improved on the newer ones but I can't see spending over 1k on a mini 14.

I always hear good stuff on FALs definitely on my to-buy list.

DUUUUDDDEEEE I have a 870 tactical its one of the older ones with the bead site. I had the same issue. Buck and slug no problem. ANY bird/target shot I would have to slammed it as hard as I can on the ground to get the shell to eject. I had a better experience with remington though this was 2014. They had me ship it in they paid for everything. Turns out anything build on the 870 express of that time frame had to have something honed out so when bird shot opened up with the crimped ends it wouldn't get stuck. I got it back and now no issues.

I've been looking into buying a mkiv are they known for having issues? I hear they are super accurate.
    Glad to hear you got better CS than me. Remington's demise was inevitable IMO. And the mkiv is awesome. I got the tactical and it's an incredibly fun gun to shoot. And compared to the previous versions, it's so easy to clean.

Circa 2004 I purchased a Beretta Cougar 8040…couldn’t hit shit. Then I thought that the action was so cool I doubled down and got an 8045 since it was “cheap.” The 8045 could never go through a magazine…regardless of which one I used. I was early in my pistol experiences so I didn’t think about the mag spring; but it didn’t matter. I probably still couldn’t hit the side of a mountain with either of them.

Oh no how come? I've never shot a vector of any type. I feel like all the gun tubers are always on the nuts of both 10mm and the vector. I figured that would be a match made in heaven.

Nice I hear those are actually really good rifles. Hell ya man.
    It’s the only gun I’ve ever had straight up break on me. And it just exudes cheapness.

Worst- Mossberg 500 I won at a WTF banquet, shoot one time then would not cycle/feed/nothing, had to take the damn thing apart and try again. Traded it off to the gunsmith I took it for an OU Mossberg silver reserve.
    Worst pistol- Jennings .25 …because Jennings .25. I had a Raven .25 that shot great!
    Best- Marlin 1895S in 44 magnum, amazingly accurate out of the box.
    best pistol- S&W shield .45, again stoopid accurate, my mostly carried every day gun.
    I just picked up a Sig M18 and am installing a Delta point pro RD so maybe that will become my EDC I dunno.

my worst is gonna piss some off but mine was a JP; absolute shit, sent it back 2x

most surprising was a impulse too cheap to pass up bersa thunder uc 9. fker ate everything, never once malfunctioned, rarely cleaned, just ran like a Russian AK.

Sig 938, a total piece of garbage. Would not feed hollow points at all. Back for warranty repair three times but no luck. Sig said it was fixed but not sure whose gun they were referring to but it was not mine. Took a beating but traded it in on an Sig 365 XL. Excellent pistol. Will shoot anything I put through it. Best would be my Sig 226 and 365 XL and all of my CZ's. Zero issues.

Reactions: Stevo86
    Worst handgun was a AMT/IAI Javelina 10mm long slide. It would consider running only with full house 10mm loads. Even then it was a jamamatic.

Best or most surprising handgun was a W German Sig 226. Had it almost 30 years now and don't recall ever having a single failure in thousands of rounds.

Another good purchase was an early Benelli SBE + Kicks extended extra full choke. I also ordered the ER Shaw heavy rifled slug barrel that was a year + to get. After shooting nothing but pump guns the SBE was a dream. Still is 25 years later, love this gun. When new it didn't like the light trap loads, but once broken in It runs trap - 3.5" T shot or slugs without fail. The Shaw slug barrel shoots lights out with the old Lightfield slugs that they sadly no longer make. I need to find a new slug load it likes.

Worst: Remington 5r stainless 300 wm.... Actually got the Cabela's used guns guys to give me 30 bucks less than I actually paid out the door .. took that loss happily.... Was still at that Cabela's many years later and is a running joke to see if it's still there 🤣🤣🤣

Best: axmc... I cannot foresee anything that would cause that to leave my safe....

IMAG1732.jpg

Shit I was actually thinking of buying one of those before I got my 870 just to say I own a benelli :ROFLMAO:. That's funny as hell you're a better man than I.

You know what PSA had the XDM on steriods on said the one with the optics cut threaded barrel FDE for like 450 for black friday. I don't know why they aren't more popular. From those people that I have met that run them. They love them. Like no issues, I mean I read that they aren't even springfield some European company design that doesn't have any issues.

I got a brand new 870 20ga for my 12th birthday right before bird season. Would have been a 98 or 99 manufacture.

It's been perfect ever since. I still use it fairly often for birds.

Worst gun, Remington 22 with a firing pin so long and hard that I now need a chamber reamer to clean the burr out of that chamber.

Best buy, well...

I bought this rifle on a whim based on the fact that I had never even seen the operating system before, not just the gun.

I got it for 700 bucks in Afghanistan which was a fortune to the local that had it, but I had a hunch.

Imported it to the states and found out it was the only known example in the world of basically a factory sample gun from Danzig.

Worst: Kimber Montana 30’06, picked it up used for backpack hunting. That F’ing thing won’t feed(looks like somebody used a Dremel to mill the feed ramp), trigger feels like it was lubed with lapping compound mixed with large grain sand, bolt binds constantly. Accuracy was ok for a light rifle, 1.5-2 moa with no matter what went through it, very inconsistent. Was going to send it back to Kimber but after a buddy and I spun his barrel off trying to remove the break, with our hands, I’m done with them.

Most surprising: RR prefix Remington 700 police in 223. That thing just runs, 1/2-3/4 minute gun, with everything I’ve put through it. Load development was a kind of a head scratcher, everything was pretty damn good. Must have a throat like my prom date, because it doesn‘t care what’s in it!

Not sure of a bad one but the best one: S&W Performance Center revolver (can't remember the model) in .45ACP. Damn thing made me reconsider ever buying a semi-auto ever again. I could pop off 6 rounds like it was a semi-auto.

LMFAO I have one like that but I kept it my brother in law was sucking on money but he never just takes my cash. I gave him 60 bucks and he gave me a berretta .25acp the one that looks like a m9 but fits in your hand and the barrel pops up. I looked it up on gunbroker they go for 300-400. I think they don't make them anymore. I can't hit much accurately past 10 feet. My GF likes it. I told her if she has to use it shoot all ten bullets and run just in case.
    I believe it’s a Beretta bobcat

Worst although I didn’t know it at the time would be many many years ago when I bought my first assault rifle, which happened to be an SKS. the one that surprised me the most I recently had a rifle re-barreled the gunsmith has never done a carbon barrel before. Oh boy did he screw it up! He ended up lopping an inch off the chamber and then redoing it. It is still not concentric! He screwed up the threads for my brake and had to chop off the muzzle and re-thread so this barrel can never be set set back and it is not concentric. There are a few dents in the carbon where he did not install it in his lathe properly! But the damn thing shoots! I was gonna get rid of it but now I believe I’ll keep it anyway.

• Wow
    Reactions: BLEE
    Worst- Rossi 92 in 357 mag....it looked like it had been machined by a 5 year old on a sugar high.

Best- Wilson Combat Tac Supergrade.....that thing was a work of art. It was absurdly accurate and would eat anything. Wish I still had it

Worse: Wasr.....some sight cant is okay but I couldn't even zero it.

Most surprising:
    Geissele superduty (when they were cheaper and didnt have qc issues).
    Ruger mark iv tactical (soo much fun)
    Shadow systems MR920 (before their qc fuckery).

Most pleasing:
    CZ Shadow 2 SA....that trigger is absolutely amazing and shooting that pistol is just too much fun. It lived up to the hype.

Generally I hate the words "worst" and "best". I want the words defined, worst made, worst deal, worst groups.....what? But I will give it a go.

Worst
    Ruger 10/22 Not a fan of them and bought one for my boy for Christmas when I thought he was ready for his "own rifle". Never opened the box, it is a 10-22, nothing special about them. Wife is wrapping the gifts and opens the box.

wife- did you open the box to boys rifle?
    me- no
    wife- you need to come see this
    me- why it is a 1022 they are all the same
    wife- not this one.

I get to the box and it looks like the thing was run over by a truck. You could look in the box and see the barrel was bent, your eye could see this. Well hell. Christmas is like a week away. Get on the phone with ruger and the first word out of the gals mouth was "you gonna keep the barrel". Really? I mean I know you build pure garbage but I did not think you built it so badly it was trash out of the box, now I know why you need to toss a catalog at it to make it shoot straight. I hung up. Put it back in the box and go back to the store.

me- looking for another 22 automatic
    owner- you just bought that ruger, you need another.
    me- let me show you that ruger
    owner- that has to be the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen.

Told him about my call to Ruger and he said, I am not suppose to take things back but I am going to take that back, I don't have anything else but this.....An old Winchester 190. Ok that will do.

I really wanted his first rifle to be brand new, but I had no choice that close. it was cool him taking it back.

Best....I struggle with best, I can say the current favorite.....A heritage single action 22. It comes out every trip, along with a super cheapo "cowboy" holster. It is so much fun to play quick draw McGraw. Beep.....ding.....how fast, really the question should be how slow.

It is just so much fun, I do it every trip to the "range". And it is hard to burn 50 rounds in an hour doing that and I have a total ball doing it.

I had a Turkish knockoff of a Colt detective 38. Was just fine, until you tried to shoot double action. Was a 50/50 chance that it would be able to rotate it’s cylinder and function.
    Normally, I would have sold this piece of shit to one of you, but I gave it away.

I had a savage singleshot 223, with a heavy fluted ss barrel, that I picked up on a sale rack. It had a supersniper stock, which was an atrocious plastic mess from the early 2000s.
    I bought it for the nightforce benchrest scope that it had. Paid $400.
    Sold the stock on ebay for $200.
    Restocked the rifle to have a 223 for fun.
    That rifle shot lights out and got me into FTR for a few years.
    I traded the scope for something along the way. Sold the rifle to help fund a custom 223 that didn’t shoot any better.

Reactions: BurtG and jpop8807
    Generally I hate the words "worst" and "best". I want the words defined, worst made, worst deal, worst groups.....what? But I will give it a go.

Worst
    Ruger 10/22 Not a fan of them and bought one for my boy for Christmas when I thought he was ready for his "own rifle". Never opened the box, it is a 10-22, nothing special about them. Wife is wrapping the gifts and opens the box.

wife- did you open the box to boys rifle?
    me- no
    wife- you need to come see this
    me- why it is a 1022 they are all the same
    wife- not this one.

I get to the box and it looks like the thing was run over by a truck. You could look in the box and see the barrel was bent, your eye could see this. Well hell. Christmas is like a week away. Get on the phone with ruger and the first word out of the gals mouth was "you gonna keep the barrel". Really? I mean I know you build pure garbage but I did not think you built it so badly it was trash out of the box, now I know why you need to toss a catalog at it to make it shoot straight. I hung up. Put it back in the box and go back to the store.

me- looking for another 22 automatic
    owner- you just bought that ruger, you need another.
    me- let me show you that ruger
    owner- that has to be the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen.

Told him about my call to Ruger and he said, I am not suppose to take things back but I am going to take that back, I don't have anything else but this.....An old Winchester 190. Ok that will do.

I really wanted his first rifle to be brand new, but I had no choice that close. it was cool him taking it back.

Best....I struggle with best, I can say the current favorite.....A heritage single action 22. It comes out every trip, along with a super cheapo "cowboy" holster. It is so much fun to play quick draw McGraw. Beep.....ding.....how fast, really the question should be how slow.

It is just so much fun, I do it every trip to the "range". And it is hard to burn 50 rounds in an hour doing that and I have a total ball doing it.
    Glad you got your boy a good replacement.
    I have two Heritage revolvers, a 3-1/2" birds head and a 6" standard, Like you I find them to be a hoot to shoot! They always go bang and it's cheap trigger time.
    Back to the subject of best vs worst or in my case I'll say most surprising. I bought a Beretta Neos U-22 several years ago I'd guess after they'd been out for maybe a year. I got it with both the standard barrel/slide and the longer one. I own a couple other Beretta guns and figured it would GTG. I wouldn't quite say it's a jam-o-matic but is very picky about ammo. About the only thing it will feed with any consistency is CCI mini-mag.
    Very disappointing pistol.
    The good surprise is a first generation Hi-Point 9mm carbine that I grabbed on a whim at a local shop about 10 years ago. That thing with it's factory iron sights was dead nuts on and runs like a top. I've since put a red dot on it and bought a couple of Red Ball 15 rd. mags. It's a very reliable, handy little carbine.