• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worth Reloading AR10 .308 Brass ????

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
I just started shooting the AR10 that I had built. The brass gets pretty beat-up. I am just wondering if it's worth saving the brass to reload. The brass gets two scores from the feed ramps on the case neck, and a tear drop shaped dent just past the shoulder on the case body. This doesn't happen to all the brass, but to the vast majority.....

Hugo

Re: Worth Reloading AR10 .308 Brass ????

No ,box it up and send it to me for proper disposal.
Scot

Absolutely! I got 8 firings out of the better part of my Win brass! Most of the issues you state end up being cosmetic. Even some of the brass with a heavy ejector swipe I hit on a grinding wheel to knock the mark down and kept on shooting. Resize ti, tumble it and start over again.

I'd load it, just to see how it shoots.
Probably ought to work fine, though I don't know what your accuracy requirement is for the rifle in question.
CW

Unless there is a crease in the neck reload it. Neck dings are okay, sharp creases make splits. I've been surprised by what will reload into an accurate round.

Reload it.

Consider an adjustable gas block, and/or load tuning to minimize brass damage.

Also, the scratches on the neck can be fixed by removing your barrel and using a dremel with an abrasive-embedded rubber wheel to fare-in and "dull" the leading edges of your barrel extension locking lugs. Works like a charm. My LR308 wasn't too too hard on the brass, but load tuning and the dremel work improved it a lot! Comes out almost as nice as a bolt action.

Thanks guys.... I'll be polishing the edges of the feed ramps this week-end....
laugh.gif

most likely the two scrores are from two locking lugs when ejected not the feed ramp. mark a few rounds with a sharpe load them at 90 degrees to the ejection port and after firing look to see where the scores are in relation to the barrel locking lugs that will tell you where you need to polish. DONT FUCK WITH THE FEED RAMP if feeding is not the problem !!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most likely the two scrores are from two locking lugs when ejected not the feed ramp </div></div>

^ that is what the 2 marks on the neck are from (not feed ramp)

My AR10 did the same thing to my cases. I went with an adjustable gas block and removed a couple spring coils from the ejector plunger spring. Its much easier on the brass now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AR10 did the same thing to my cases. I went with an adjustable gas block and removed a couple spring coils from the ejector plunger spring. Its much easier on the brass now. </div></div>

I did the same to my ejector spring. Still marked, but not nearly as bad.

Id be slightly concerned with positive ejection, cutting coils - but hey, if it works!

Easier than pulling the barrel off to work on the locking lugs.