• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worth switching to a lighter weight chassis?

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
I do not shoot competitively, just for fun with friends. My 6.5 CM is currently sitting in an AIAT 2.0 folder. I am starting to find that I enjoy shooting from various positions and using my tripod, and now I am finding the weight of the weapon (K624I, M24 26" barrel, Harris bipod, AIAT) is a little high. I understand that weight helps reduce felt recoil, but I am confident I would be able to quickly learn a new system. So my question is will I really shed any noticeable weight by switching to a different chassis (XLR element is saying 22oz)? is there mods you can do to an AI? Other than "MTFU" (no one wants to shoot a 19# rifle off hand if they dont have to) what are some options and or thoughts?

I run a PDC Custom Gen5 Competition chassis on my PRS rifle, and it's fairly light, with the standard Gen5 being a few ounces lighter without the NV rail installed. If I remember right, the base model competition chassis is around 4#.

Bear in mind with the XLR, that the 22oz is for the bare chassis - no buttstock or grip included.

You guys and your electric and gas contraptions.
The problem with them is that they can make good smoked food.

Your killing me !

An offset stick burner must be fired up ahead of time, carefully adjusted, baby sat, hovered around and restoaked all day.

Aka, my off day no to do list day, pretty soon the missis will figure out how to run it and then there goes that day off.

I suggest you throw away any instruction manuals it has.

Now if you will excuse me I have to do some laundry since my wife is out fishing for two days at Lake Fork.

How much detergent do I use? Lol
Bear in mind with the XLR, that the 22oz is for the bare chassis - no buttstock or grip included.

Good point, i over looked that detail. Im going to pull my barreled action and weigh the aiat to see what that actually weighs in at.

I run a krg whisky 3, 26" medium palma, minox zp5 5-25, and a few accessories on the chassis. Weighs about 14.5 pounds with empty mag if i remember correctly, maybe 15 pounds with the chassis accessories.

I've got an almost 20# AT as well. The only time the weight ever bothers me is if I'm walking in half a mile to a box blind, or trying to hoist that heavy bitch out the window. For that reason I'll be downsizing scope (currently have the same one you do) and getting another barrel with a 16" judy chop. If I only used it for range time and target shooting, hell the heavier the better if you ask me! The weight adds stability and makes the fun times more fun.

Nothing wrong with trying something new though. You have to experiment to find what works for you. I will say that the XLR buttstock is infinitely adjustable, but I found that making those adjustments usually ended up feeling like an infinite pain in the ass to me.

I've got an almost 20# AT as well. The only time the weight ever bothers me is if I'm walking in half a mile to a box blind, or trying to hoist that heavy bitch out the window. For that reason I'll be downsizing scope (currently have the same one you do) and getting another barrel with a 16" judy chop. If I only used it for range time and target shooting, hell the heavier the better if you ask me! The weight adds stability and makes the fun times more fun.

Nothing wrong with trying something new though. You have to experiment to find what works for you. I will say that the XLR buttstock is infinitely adjustable, but I found that making those adjustments usually ended up feeling like an infinite pain in the ass to me.

In a perfect world I would be able to hunt with this rifle (next year?) And when I was in college I really wanted an AI (but could only afford to true and re-barrel with LRI ?). Then really wanted the K624I, and felt I already have a great rifle, going "True" AI won't gain me anything, but better glass will. Absolutely love the setup even if the weight is a VERY minor inconvenience.

Ultimately I get bored and want to try something new. I had an element when they first came out, and remember how big of a PITA that butt stock was, so I was thinking magpul this time.

IDK I am probably making this more work than needed.

Slightly different application (factory AT vs. AICS), but I put an AT in an MPA chassis. The bare AT folder chassis with skins and Sawtooth rail is only 4oz heaver than the MPA comp (non folder) that I put it in. The MPA is better balanced (AT folder is butt heavy), but other than that there is no measurable difference in the weight when carrying.

Your weight is in your 26" M24 barrel.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
Slightly different application (factory AT vs. AICS), but I put an AT in an MPA chassis. The bare AT folder chassis with skins and Sawtooth rail is only 4oz heaver than the MPA comp (non folder) that I put it in. The MPA is better balanced (AT folder is butt heavy), but other than that there is no measurable difference in the weight when carrying.

yea
That’s a pig of a barrel.

My 7 saum in the nucleus/XLR element with a 28” savage profiled heavy Palma weighs 16ish pounds.
That’s not too bad to lug around and recoil is amazingly low.

Reactions: mzvarner

Yeah I realized that the day the rifle came back from LRI. Thankfully I had them spin up 2 just the other is chambered in 308 for when this one is shot out. So gonna be a few thousand rounds before I can drop any more weight.

I like lighter rifles. I know the heavy stuff helps with recoil but with 6.5 creed having much lower recoil and running a muzzle brake or a suppressor the recoil on a lighter rig is manageable. I do not compete so being able to stay alive with a lighter gun take priority.

Reactions: AverageGrunt