• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WOTAC 4-14x50 Review

10nix

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2008
Poughkeepsie, NY
Review.jpg

Now, before I start, let me say, I don't work for and am not associated with Wonders Optics, nor was I compensated in any way beyond personal satisfaction for this review. I am just an amateur marksman who loves to shoot. I have been lurking for some time, and gained a lot of knowledge from this sight. I thought I could share my experience, and hopefully help someone like I have been helped.

I have been putting together a .308 rifle for mid-long range shooting (up to 1000 yards), and am also on a budget. For a rifle, I chose a Fabrique Nationale Patrol Bolt Rifle XP with a 20 inch medium contour, fluted barrel, 20 MOA Badger Base, and full aluminum bedding block. It had everything that I was looking for in a bolt action precision platform, and with a smoking deal from CDNN it was hard to pass up. I added a Karsten kydex adjustable cheek rest, a Rock Mount Bipod (soon to be upgraded), an AccuShot monopod, and a TacOps Cheek pad.

I was left looking for a decent scope. While I would have been thrilled with a S&B, a Nightforce, or USO, they will not be within my budget for the foreseeable future. I was left wading through the low-mid range choices in optics. This is an odd level of the market. While it is possible to walk away with a scope that rivals the quality of those that cost more (not those mentioned before), it is also possible to be drawn in by a scope that is marketed as high speed, low drag, but in reality is a low quality, fragile scope with garbage glass that is dressed up, and marketed to the unsuspecting. After shopping, researching, and reading a lot, I settled on three scopes. I am convinced that any of these three would have suited me very well: SWFA Super Sniper 10x42, Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP, or the WOTAC 4-14x50 SF. I was interested in good glass, side focus, durable and accurate. All three fell in my price range ($300-$400). In the end, I settled on the WOTAC. Here's why:

Wonders Optics is a optic store out of Glenpool OK. They have recently begun producing a in-house brand of scope, available in 10x40 fixed power, and a 4-14x50 variable power scope. Both feature side focus parallax adjustment, a custom MOA ranging Reticle, 80 MOA of elevation adjustment, 30mm one tube construction, and target turrets. After talking to the designer of the scope, and owner of the company, Mathew Wonders, it became clear that he was a shooter, had put a good amount of time and thought into the design of the scope, and was willing to stand behind it 100%. I took advantage of the introductory offer, $295 shipped to my door.

Goodies-1.jpg

When the scope arrived, I was impressed with the quality, fit and finish. The glass looked great, and the scope felt good. The scope came with a 3" sunshade, 2 sets of knobs, bikini covers, flip up caps, instructions on the reticle, extra screws for the knobs, and a tiny little hex wrench for the knobs. I wish that it had come with Butler Creek flip ups, but those were easily acquired (#17 eyepiece, and #43 Objective). The shorter elevation knob that was on it was out of spec. when mounted flush on the turret, the knob 'wobbled' when it spun. I removed and re-mounted it a couple of times to make sure it wasn't just mounted off center, but it was the knob. Fortunately the larger knobs (That I was going to use anyway) worked perfectly. I really like the reticle.

Reticle.jpg

Longshot2.jpg

knobs.jpg

Mounting the scope went off without a hitch using the feeler gauge method. I chose Burris XTR Low rings. They are realy solid, and give ample clearance for the scope and caps. I went to bore sight the rifle, and this is where I ran into trouble. The elevation adjustments of the scope were broken. The bullet impact could be adjusted down, but only 10 or so clicks, and when I tried to adjust it back up, it did not move. If the windage was wiggled back and forth, the reticle would float up, but it was not consistent, and was utterly unusable. I was disappointed to say the least.

I called Matt, and explained what had happened, and he told me just to send it back, and he would send another out. I was worried because I knew that he was sold out, and awaiting the next batch, but he had put a couple aside for warranty, and within a week, I had a replacement scope at my door. The scope I had originally received was tested, and passed quality control. It is most likely that a combination of freezing Northeastern winter temperatures coupled with being manhandled by UPS had jostled the scope into malfunction. It raises some concern about the longevity of the scope, and though only time will tell about this, my impression is that these are solid scopes, and I don't foresee any further problems. I was impressed at how Matt had handled the issue, and his commitment to his customers speaks volumes about his business.

Having mounted and bore sighted the scope once more, I took it to the range to run it through its paces. The clicks are still a bit soft, and with my earplugs in, the tactile feel of the turret clicks didn't translate too well, but the marks on the turrets were accurate enough, and the scope was easy enough to sight in, and run through the box test. The scope tracks perfectly. I ran it through twice, and each time it returned to zero perfectly. The scope ranges at about 7.5x magnification, and there is an indicator 'bump' on the ring that lines up with grooves on the eyepiece to let you know when it is set. For the third generation I would like to see a click set at the power that the reticle ranges, but that is a minor point. It is accurate enough the way it is to get the job done. The glass is really clear, has great light transmission, and is really easy on the eyes.

WOTAC4-14x502.jpg

WOTAC4-14x50.jpg

This scope, for my purposes, is fantastic. It was a great value, and I would recommend it to anyone else. The failure of the original scope could easily have soured me on this scope, but the speed that it was replaced, and the personal attention that I received to 'make it right' reinforced my decision. After 104 rounds, the scope still holds zero, still tracks, and still allows me to see what I am shooting at, and where I have hit it. I'm glad that I got this scope. If you ever decide to get one, I think you will be too.

Here are a couple of 5 shot groups. The one with the "flyer" was all me, I was more of trying to show the accuracy that this rig is capable of, not the accuracy I achieved with it. These are representative average groups.(The best 5 round group of the day was .493") I'm not that good of a shot (only been shooting regularly for a year or so now), but I practice the fundamentals...

41 degrees, light wind from 8:00, prone off of the bipod:

100yrds_pbr.jpg

0314091405.jpg

Re: WOTAC 4-14x50 Review

The best part about these scopes is, they are assembled in the <span style="font-weight: bold">Good Ole USA</span> and made from quality Japanese glass and Japanese & US parts. I have one sitting front of me now and it reminds me of the New Nikon Monarch X 4-16X50 scopes.

The glass is very clear and the moa turrets & moa reticle are nice.

If anyone is looking for a good scope in the $300 price range the <span style="font-weight: bold">Made in the USA WOTAC 4-14x50</span> is an excellent choice.

GC

<span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-size: 23pt">READ !</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10nix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">Wonders Optics is a optic store out of Glenpool OK. They have recently begun producing a in-house brand of scope, available in 10x40 fixed power, and a 4-14x50 variable power scope. </span></span> Both feature side focus parallax adjustment, a custom MOA ranging Reticle, 80 MOA of elevation adjustment, 30mm one tube construction, and target turrets. After talking to the designer of the scope, and owner of the company, Mathew Wonders, it became clear that he was a shooter, had put a good amount of time and thought into the design of the scope, and was willing to stand behind it 100%. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who assembles them in the USA? Which optics factory?</div></div>

You don't need a factory if you have the know how and just assembling parts. If they wanted too the scope repair shops could put together their on brand scope from parts they designed.

GC