• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WOTAC test drive...

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
OK guys, got a chance to shoot through the WOTAC 4-14x50 yesterday and here's my report...

Rifle used was my DTECH 6x45, 20" Shilen, fluted, comped, PRS stock. This rifle is stooopid accurate, a prime candidate for scope testing. Shooting off Harris bipod and rear bag, 70gr Blitzkings...
April09004.jpg

Two shots to zero then performed a box test. Shot at 50yds with 10MOA adjustments. I made small dots 5" in each direction to gauge the travel of the adjustments. As you know it's not EXACT, but 10MOA @ 50yds should be VERY close to those 5" dots if the scope is tracking true.

Here is the shot sequence.

zero at bottom dot.

Aim and shoot at center dot (marked 1 on target). The center dot will be my p.o.a. (point of aim) for all of the subsequent shots, dialing the box clockwise from top left...

Dial 10MOA up, 10MOA left (for top left impact marked 1)

Dial over to 10MOA right (for top right impact marked 1)

Dial down to 10MOA down (for bottm right impact marked 1)

Dial over to 10 MOA left (for bottom left impact marked 1)

Dial back to ZERO and shoot ( center impact marked 2)

Pic of target...
April09001.jpg

As you can see from the pics, the UP adjustments look to be at least 1 MOA short. The DOWN adjustments were all over the place on the 1st time 'round...

Around we go again, same adjustments. Impacts marked with a 2.
Pic of target...
April09002.jpg

UP groups are consistent, but not true. DOWN shots got closer 2nd time, but still not true either...

One more time around. Impacts marked with a 3.
April09003.jpg

The UP groups are bugholing, so the scope is tracking repeatably, but not to the correct height. The DOWN groups settled closely after the 1st round, but they are not where they should be either. Looks like the scope returns to ZERO pretty good though...

I figured that 10 MOA in every direction may be too much to ask for this scope, so I stapled up one of my homemade targets and shot the box with 5 MOA adjustments dialed. This corresponds to this target's five bullseyes being 2.5" away from center. Here's how that went...
April09005.jpg

I was thinking ahead when I stapled the PM target up and put the center bull EXACTLY over the center dot of the first box test. Check out how the inconsistent impacts on the PM target mirror what was happening on the larger target behind...
April09006.jpg

Overall, not real thrilled with the box test results. But they could be worse. It almost looks as though the turrets want to settle in, but I'm still leery about not getting all the UP travel. The windage doesn't bother me too much, I prefer to hold it anyway...

I confirmed the mag setting for the reticle to range correctly and that turned out to be just shy of 8X. There the stadia subtend 2MOA so I made a mark on the knob for future reference.
April09007.jpg

At least I could use the reticle to hold over in lieu of dialing...

Well the gun was zeroed, so I wanted to look through the glass in the field and maybe spot & smack a woodchuck with a Blitzking. Off I went and set up next to a round bale for cover to spy a spot I know had some chuck holes last year...
April09011.jpg

Upon looking through the glass, I'd consider the WOTAC on par with Burris FFII in the glass dept. The AO could not focus out the fuzz at max power and I backed the scope down on 10x to see clearly. Otherwise, a slight bluish haze was present Eye relief became very critical toward 14X as well...

Well, it only took about 15 min for a chuck to pop out and give me a shot. 179yds, put a Blitzking right in his ear
smile.gif
and spun him half around
grin.gif
:thumb:
Here's what he looked like through the scope...
April09010.jpg

Here's a look back to my 'hide (top center round bale)...
April09012.jpg

My $.02on the WOTAC...

Glass is on par with the price range.
AO works OK.
Turrets seem repeatable, but not TRUE to MOA value.
The MOA reticle is cool! Can use it to holdover on ~8X magnification.

I'm going to move the WOTAC over to my 10/17Mach2. Then I will figure and make a BDC label for the ele. knob and use it for plinking and popping tree rats...

I'm by no means an optics expert, so this report is nothing more than my own personal observations & opinion.
Hope you guys can get some mileage out of it...

Re: WOTAC test drive...

As a followup, I recevied an email from Matt Wonders. He is going to replace this scope at no charge. Very standup and professional, IMHO...

Could be mistaken but weren't some guys here curious about this scope's performance?

I have been interested in this scope. I am currently trying to decide between this one or a Falcon Menace....Im kinda leaning twoards the Falcon Menace. Appreciate the report though, good info.

Fred,

Good report. You should have kept that USO!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fred,

Good report. You should have kept that USO!! </div></div>

OR?

Shawn,
Oh no....I didn't get the WOTAC to replace the USO. Got a Heritage on the way to fill that void
smile.gif

Figured the WOTAC would be a decent valued scope with a reticle and knobs similar to my five NXS scopes. It will most likely end up on a precision 'trainer' rimfire...

Thanks for the great review and pics. I just mounted my WOTAC on my AR SPRish build and hopefully will be able to hit the range this weekend to try it out.

Thanks a bunch for the great review! Any chance you have time to give us a follow up on how the replacement scope performed?

Soon as I get the replacement, I'll follow up...