• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would I be crazy to chop my 6.5 barrel?

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    I have a really good shooting 24” noveske 6.5 creedmoor barrel fitted for my mws. It doesn’t seem to care for 140s that much but 123 and 130 Elds will generally hold 3/4moa or better and hasn’t been too picky on load development. My go to is hdy brass and 43.7 h4350 which gets me about 2875fps. It’s a rifle length gas system though and to keep from trashing brass I have a FA carrier, xh buffer and adjustable gas block. It’s a boat oar to swing with a can on it. The recoil impulse isn’t bad but it’s fairly drawn out with all that mass and I can feel and see every step of it in the sight picture.

I’m thinking about cutting it to 18” or so to make it handier and with the reduced dwell time I could lighten up the operating system without wrecking brass. I’ve just been afraid to touch it because it has always seemed to shoot so well. If I have to open the port so be it but noveske always seemed to be generous on his gas ports.

I think Dwilson is sleeving some 22” proof +2 6.5 barrels to fit the mws so I could grab one of those later if I wanted some speed back.

Since it’s an MWS, why not just buy a shorter barrel? Then you can swap barrels as needed.

Since it’s an MWS, why not just buy a shorter barrel? Then you can swap barrels as needed.
    Because the only factory 6.5 barrels are 20” rifle gas with pressed on gas blocks and they’re unobtainium. I haven’t seen many 18” off the shelf barrels and the ones I have I wouldn’t trust enough to pay to have converted and hope it’s a shooter.

I think a rifle length gas system with a suppressor would do better with a shorter barrel so even though it groups well it’s not an ideal setup as far as tuning the operating cycle.

eh, barrels arent like they were 10-15 years ago....getting a good shooting barrel now is as simple as ordering a new one.

i say cut it and make it more useful to you....its not like its going to go to 4 MOA.....even if you do lose accuracy, and your group size doubles, you still have a 1.5 MOA rifle....which is still FAR more accuracy than you need for any practical purpose.

Go take a look at what a MWS 6.5 CM barrel costs.

Last one I sold , Sold for $1600. They are unobtainable with a year + wait.

People saying to buy a shorter barrel are out of touch with reality and the market.

It will shoot great chopped down as well. I have an 18” and it shoots awesome. Just be ready to lose a pretty good amount of speed. My 143eldx load which isn’t hot but it’s only going 2,400fps

I think powder valley has some 6.5 Berger’s In stock

Just 153.5 not what he’s looking for though. Probably shoot awesome out of my other 6.5 with 7.5” twist

Reactions: reubenski
    It will shoot great chopped down as well. I have an 18” and it shoots awesome. Just be ready to lose a pretty good amount of speed. My 143eldx load which isn’t hot but it’s only going 2,400fps
    To be fair, that's very slow for an 18" Creedmoor, 2,600 fps should be no great challenge with RL16, RL23 or StaBall, not to mention RL26.

I say if you want it shorter, cut it, life is too short to live with guns you don't really like. I've had a couple good shooting barrels chopped and none of them got less accurate, although their preferred loads often changed somewhat.

Reactions: reubenski
    If I’m a 2850ish now I’m thinking I’d end up around 2650 if I went to 18” which wouldn’t be too bad.

Well it’s technically 2,438. 42.2 gr of h4350. 18” with ultra7. Magnetospeed believe me I wish it was faster and could be if I wanted. It’s a nice accurate load I use for hunting

If I’m a 2850ish now I’m thinking I’d end up around 2650 if I went to 18” which wouldn’t be too bad.
    Maybe with the 130s you would be but from my loadings you would probably have to load pretty hot to hit that with 143s. I couldn’t make power factor for nrl hunter series with 140s I forget exactly what my speed was but I had pressure signs before power factor so I had to use a different rifle. I vaguely remember not being able to get past 2,660ish without pressure signs.

Well it’s technically 2,438. 42.2 gr of h4350. 18” with ultra7. Magnetospeed believe me I wish it was faster and could be if I wanted. It’s a nice accurate load I use for hunting
    What brand barrel and gas system length?

This 24” noveske is a 3 groove and with the same loads it tracks right along the 22” bartlein on my fix for velocity.

Last edited:
    maybe if you were cutting a 28'' barrel down to 4'' id say that pretty crazy other wise it's all been done before enjoy .

I say cut it and be happy with life. I would bet it will be more accurate if you have a good Smith do the work. Shorter barrels are stiffer and easier to find an accurate load for.