• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Would like opinions on bullet

SingleShot85

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2004
Native Texican (SA)
spanishgourd.com
Ok I going to try the Hornaday 150gr Interbond Bullet. I have a 300wsm and currently shoot 155 lapuas, I know not a "hunting bullet", but I want to save them for my 308.

Question, what do people think as it relates to killing everything North American?

dont want to get into the scenar as a killing or hunting bullet that one has been beat to death.
crazy.gif

thanks.

Re: Would like opinions on bullet

I would either go with the sierra gameking or the nosler ballistic tip. The latter is what i use out of my hunting gun which is a .270 and it puts em down. Whitetail, mulie, coyotes, and 1 elk. Now need to go try and shoot me a pronghorn. But both of those are very good bullets. The hornady interbond is a great hunting bullet. Also it expands pretty decently and retains most of its mass

This is pulled off of a website that talks about alot of hunting projectiles:

Hornady InterBond bullets are visually smilar to Hornady's plastic tipped SST bullets without a cannelure. Internally they are constructed more like a Remington Core-Lokt Ultra. They feature a red plastic tip, a tapered jacket with a very heavy midsection, and a lead core bonded to the jacket. They feature high ballistic coefficients combined with good weight retention. They are a top choice for high velocity calibers and mixed bag CXP2-CXP3 game hunts.

CXP2 class game (deer, antelope, black bear), CXP3 class animals (elk, alg, moose),

Hornady A-max or the SST.
A-max for deer sized and smaller
SST will do an Elk.

O/C you could use a Berger 155. or... keep it really simple and use the Lapuas you are using already.

Ask PGS he's killed oodles of stuff with the 155 Scenar.

I've been rock'n the 155 w/o any probs and love it. But dont't want to use them for hunting anymore.

I want to save them for trainning and competition, thats the only reason for the change.

keep the good info coming.

Go with a Nosler Accubond...

This is a 150gr Nosler Accubond(From a .300 WSM) recovered from a mature Mule deer shot at 379 yards, the bullet was recovered just under the hide on the off side. Stuffed his stuff in the dirt.

DSC02242.jpg

The Interbond is an excellent hunting bullet...it expands quickly but holds together. It does expand to a wider mushroom than some of the others so penetrates less, but terminal damage is good.

In the Hornady family you have a multitude of choices...in order of fragility...A-Max...SST...Interbond...GMX

For light thin skinned game the A-Max is a quick expander that transmits devastating shock to smaller game, and has application for some shots on larger game, but a 150gr would not be my first choice for that use.

The Interbond in 150 gr is much tougher, but it's still a little light on penetration for thick skinned game, due to the large frontal area. You could run a 180gr, but if you need more penetration, the 150 GMX has nearly the same profile and is an easy switch to make.

The GMX performs well as a slower expanding penetrator...it's a good match to the 300 WSM. This bullet looks to have a lot of promise so far, but there is not a large database of results to draw conclusions from with those as of yet...from what I have seen it needs a LOT of velocity, so it's not a good long range candidate.

The Interbond is a good all around choice if you can achieve the accuracy you are looking for. In my experience they won't run with the A-Max. If you can get them to shoot in your rifle/load then you are all set for a variety of situations you might encounter.

If not, there are so many choices in this category you can choose the type of terminal performance you desire.

TC

+1 for Nosler's accubond. Hornady's interbond is the same thing. My 3rd choice would be Nosler's partition.

My choice for a 300wsm for everything in North America would be the 180 accubond.

Swift's Scirocco is a hell of a bullet also.

scan0027-2.jpg

This Whitetail buck was taken with a 25/06 and a 120gr. Nosler partition.

scan0005-1.jpg

This 160+ B&C Whitetail buck was taken with a .257 Weatherby at over 600 meters using a 110gr Nosler Accubond. The bullet completely penetrated both shoulders leaving a 1.5" exit hole.

scan0013.jpg

Record book Caribou I shot with a .243 and a 100gr. Nosler partition. That bullet has never let me down.

I know these are required for Kalifornia, but regardless, they are outstanding hunting bullets. Check out the Barnes TSX, solid copper. Talked to alot of guys whove been using these bullets long before the lead ban and love em. Never recovered one or heard of one being recovered. I killed a Black Tail last year at bout 300 yds runnin away from me. Hit him in the rear hind quarter and came out the front of him. I use the 168gr Match. Ive been shooting groups in the low .3's @ 100yds. They are kinda pricey, bout $45.00 per 50 or so.

What evr grain bullet you normally shoot when shooting lead bullets, drop it by 15 grains when going to copper or youll destroy the meat.

P.S. I believe the BC for the 168 gr Barnes TSX is .415 or so.

For use on all around hunting I think you should try the Swift A frame 180 grain spitzer. $52 a box for component bullets isn't cheap, but they expand well and hold together at high velocities. If they are accurate in your gun, that would be my choice I have taken moose, grizzly, black bear, hogs, caribou and deer with it.

Accubond is the only bullet I hunt with. 25-05 like the whitetail above....110 gr took antelope at 418 yards and 25" mulie at 225 yards. 308 with 150 for whitetails here in Missouri and 200 in 30-06 for hunting late season cow elk in CO.

Well I bought 100 interbond, had to the price was right and half the other stuff you guys mentioned was not available. If they dont work I make another change.

I can't really run the 180's yet, barrel length and twist rate are going to keep me under 165.

thanks for the info.

The Interbond is a good choice. I've had good luck loading them up. The Accubond, Interbond, Scirocco (and more) are all bonded bullets, and will perform about the same on game.

For the applications mentioned here I am in the Hornaday corner. Accubonds and Interbonds/ Interlocks do the job out to 600... nothing further for me yet. I tried the partions and could not keep em under a minute.... got lucky with the Interlocks in my 7mm Mangrum 1/2 minute most days out to 6:)

For a cheap and tough bullet, it is hard to beat a Remington Corelokt. I use them almost exclusively in my 6.5x55 and 308, and I am in the process of of buying some to load for my son's 270.

When I first got into the .260, a good friend gave me a ziplock bag containing most of a hundred 120gr Core-Lokts, for use with case fire forming.

I don't fireform, I just load and go.

Later, as my brass began to age out; I used the retiring brass to cobble up some bottom-of-the-pack standby hunting loads with the Core-Lokts and leftover match development rejected 129 and 140 SST's. Pleasantly surprising; 'chucks, and other, larger critters.

That said; I don't really hold with handloading hunting loads. Win, Rem, and Fed have all the varieties I could ever use. I hold no illusions about my being able to do better than the big boys.

My .30-'06 hunting loads have always been Remington Express Core-Lokt commercial loads.

Greg