• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing would like your opinion

canuck4570

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
Ile Bizard near Montreal
I have a tikka t3 in 30-06
it has a picatinny rail on it
and I hunt in Quebec Canada
dense wood and open farm land
I am considering the S@B 1-8x24 with the mil dot cc reticle
would that be a good choice
Mil-Dot-CC.png

Re: would like your opinion

for dense woods, yes, and the mildot will help with ranging and using as holdovers for more open area. will probably need some good binocs or spotting scope to confirm the animals legal or trophy status in the open farmland.

although i prefer higher mag for that reason (open farmland), the lower magnification will perform well close up.

have you though about something 4-12, 14 , 16x ish? that power range seems to fit the woods / fields requirement a little better.

I have a NF 3.5-15x50 on it now
find it to big,
reticle to fine I loose it in dense wood
when I say dense wood I meant shot are 10 to 50 yard at the most
farmland are up to maximum 500 yards but mostly 200 to 300
I understand you reasoning because went to Michigan hunting and totally different woods and field specially the farmland there you easily have shots up to 5 to 600 yards where a I was

Should be ok to use. The low end of the scope will offer you quick target aquisition in the dense areas, which is what you want.

8X mag should be enough for open areas, but if your doing any long range shooting you would want something with a higher mag, but thats just my personal preferance.