• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would like your thoughts...

Btrain

Shooter up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
KS
In all my wisdom, I purchased an unopened case of Eley Match quite awhile back from a member. Just getting into 22 and thought it was a great price on a premium round so leaped before I looked. Now that I have opened the case the Im wondering if its a problem or not - The rounds have a pretty heavy wax that looks a bit weird.

I'm pretty new to rimfire and just want to make sure its ok to run and not something I will regret due to condition

Appreciate the Newb advice

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 85
It is showing some age, but not bad. Eley uses a fairly heavy wax. That is pre-EPS ( I think that is what they call it) ammo. I do not believe you will harm anything, I would clean my barrel then shoot 10 or so rounds listening to the bang and making sure you see a new hole the paper and then start to see it shoots for accuracy.

This is the main reason I don't use Eley ammo, in my experience the wax they use seems to really gum up everything, action, bolt, everything it comes into contact with. Other brands they make (Wolf) have the same waxy lube, for me it's just not worth having to clean all this gummy shit off everything. Have a couple bricks sitting in the safe I don't plan on using except as a last resort.

Reactions: JKW70
Maybe, just send an email to eley...?

I had so old Eley Match the looked about the same. It had the round nose just like yours and I shot it with no issues in my CZ 457 MTR. I can tell you it shot a lot better then the flat nose Eley match shoots in the CZ.

Can’t decide which is worse; eley wax coating the action up, or greasy Lapua coating my hands…

Reactions: learjet and LR1845
I’d put them outside or heat them up to see the melting point of the wax then wipe them down.

Loading precision .22 is annoying with the wax and lube they use.

I'd just remove 'most' of the extra wax. Using a soft brush like a fingernail brush or such. You'll still have to clean very well due to the wax, but 'there's always a price for perfection' . . . or as close as you can get.
As for the 'oily lube on Lapua/SK, I just keep a rag on the bench while shooting. I'd hate to get the 5-oz trigger 'greased' - it's light enuf for me.

Bunch of weirdos in here.

Don't clean it off. It's there for a reason.

Just shoot it. It's fine.

I have a Remington that shoots Eley best so that's what it gets fed. My Bergara likes SK. Lube doesn't matter, shoot the ammo your gun likes.

I have a ton of that ammo. It's the same powder and the current match but with the pistol bullet. If you shoot in really cold temps then it's worth popping them open and hitting them with a hairdryer for 30 seconds or so. If you shoot in warmer temps then it will melt in your bag and melts fine in the chamber, just run it

Reactions: oldrifleman