• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you be fine with this??

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    I finally got some time off to shoot my custom rifle (custom barrelled action in AICS w/ NF 3.5-15). I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my windage zeroed (knob bottomed out) and why I had to come up so much to get on paper at 100. Looked at the scope rings and the back one is installed correctly. The front one is on at a angle, with one side lower than the other. This bends the scope up and to the left.

Would you be ok with having to fix this? I could have installed the scope corretctly myself. Thinking about canceling a 7mm I ordered from the same company.

-dan

Re: Would you be fine with this??

if i may ask who did you have build it for you if you didn't do it yourself. i would politely ask whoever built it for you if they could fix it. if not find out who can fix it on here and never use that smith again.

Was going to post pics but that is a PITA for me with low speed net and only a cell phone camera. Just picture the front ring a tiny bit higher on one side and lower than the other.

Not going to post builder info. Really really surprised me that gun came in like this. May be too much business for them?

And I will fix it myself. Not too hard to fix. Just loosen the front ring and ring cap and everything should go down good.
    I don't like shipping stuff. Cost over $100 to ship 2 AICS and 2 NFs due to insurance.

-dan

3419.jpg

Hard to see but the front ring is up.

i bet one of the front base screws is taller than the counterbore and the step in the ring that sits in the recoil groove is hitting it.

but yep, i'd be pissed if i paid someone and got that in return. i am a big fan of giving someone an opportunity to fix their mistakes before posting their name on the internet though. if they don't take care of it to your satisfaction, then it should be known so others know better than to deal with this person.

Good guess, but the scope must have been mounted and then put on a rail. Front rings is a couple degrees twisted. Action/screws look great, everything is where it shoud be.

And it gets better. Just took the scope off and the front ring wasn't even tight. Just finger tight. Rear ring was less than or equal to 65 inch pounds.

Rifle bore was dirty, so must have been test fired, just not using my scope.

You have all the right to be pissed, but here is the thing, if you dont post who the builder was, you are going to piss off a lot of the members here (myself included) because its shit like this that helps us decide which smith gets our business over another!

so please post who it was.

I wouldn't post shit about who it was. That is a minor fluck up that's easy to miss, and easy to fix. Whoever the smith is, I'm sure he'd fix it, but it's probably going to be easier for you to fix rather than send it back.

Offer them up on the net and these jackals will go into a bash frenzy over something I don't see to be a fatal error...

Now on the other hand, I remember a "barreled by Harold" thread (that has since disappeared) in which stuff was so screwed up that there was no mistake of shoddy workmanship. THAT should've been exposed, and it was.

That's scary. If this "builder" can't make sure rings are mounted properly I'd be highly suspect of their ability to build a rifle correctly and precisely. There really is no excuse for this from a "professional". I hope the scope wasn't permanently damaged, bent tube or the like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now on the other hand, I remember a "barreled by Harold" thread (that has since disappeared) in which stuff was so screwed up that there was no mistake of shoddy workmanship. THAT should've been exposed, and it was. </div></div>
    but in this case, i'd let the smith know i was not pleased with the work and see what he wanted to do about it. if he told me to get bent, then maybe i'd let the world know who it was.

Just an outside opinion on this...is it POSSIBLE that it merely got bumped in shipping and thats why it was cocked like that?Maybe the rings were intentionally left loose 'cuz he didn't know where you needed to have it placed for YOUR eyes.Even a new, custom firearm needs to have things checked before we go shooting.You found the bore dirty, at least you looked.Some guys never even check to make sure a foreign object isn't lodged down the pipe before they shoot.

It hasn't disappeared, HERE it is...

Now this is the kind of stuff I want brought to my attention if'n I was shopping for a gun plumber...

A crooked ring, would worry me none. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Rifle bore was dirty, so must have been test fired, just not using my scope.
    </div></div>

Also, some smiths just fire into a trap to check for function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It hasn't disappeared, HERE it is...

Now this is the kind of stuff I want brought to my attention if'n I was shopping for a gun plumber...

A crooked ring, would worry me none. YMMV </div></div>

the worst thing about that deal is he didn't think my rifle looked that bad and he said he liked it the way it was.

Now D got kinda screwed.

At least it shoots good. I fixed the ring and took some red box 168 Hornady TAP and shot a couple groups. First time I have shot in a non hunting situation for a couple months. I am more than a little rusty.

Got on paper and put 3 into .25" ctc then rushed and opened it up to a inch. Next 3 went into 3/8s (.375") outside edge to outside edge. .375-.3 = .075. I have never shot a group that small. I know they aren't 5 shot groups.

Went out to 300 and dialed 5 moa. Shot 5 fairly quickly. 3 went into 1.5" the 4th opened it up to 2.25" and the 5th opened it up to 3.5".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't post shit about who it was. That is a minor fluck up that's easy to miss, and easy to fix. Whoever the smith is, I'm sure he'd fix it, but it's probably going to be easier for you to fix rather than send it back.

Offer them up on the net and these jackals will go into a bash frenzy over something I don't see to be a fatal error...

Now on the other hand, I remember a "barreled by Harold" thread (that has since disappeared) in which stuff was so screwed up that there was no mistake of shoddy workmanship. THAT should've been exposed, and it was. </div></div>

i gotta go with this....if'n you're still looking for opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't post shit about who it was. That is a minor fluck up that's easy to miss, and easy to fix. Whoever the smith is, I'm sure he'd fix it, but it's probably going to be easier for you to fix rather than send it back.

Only way thats easy to miss is if the smith is just slapping parts together without paying attention or giving a damn just to get it out of the door faster. I sure as hell wouldnt want that guy doing work on my rifle. If he "flucked" that up, it makes one wonder if he "flucked" up on other things and said "oh thats good enough"

In my mind being torqued down onto the base in that kind of "bind" would have to have done damage to the scope tube?

He said the front ring was not torqued, so it should not have dammaged the tube.

Question: Where did the smith get the scope? Did you send it, or did he accuire it new/somewhere else?

It is poosible that he was worried about making sure the gun ran properly and figured the optics aliagnment was up to you (hence only one ring torqued).

It is hard for a smith to mount an optic without the end user there to fit it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He said the front ring was not torqued, so it should not have dammaged the tube.

Question: Where did the smith get the scope? Did you send it, or did he accuire it new/somewhere else?

It is poosible that he was worried about making sure the gun ran properly and figured the optics aliagnment was up to you (hence only one ring torqued).

It is hard for a smith to mount an optic without the end user there to fit it. </div></div>

The rear ring was torqued which did stess the scope. ( Couldn't get zeroed due to front ring holding scope up)

Smith got the scope from me. I sent a 3.5-15 w/ TPS rings and a 5.5-22 w/ NF ultra light rings. When scopes arrived, I decided that The NF rings should go on the 3.5-15 and new Badger rings should be put on the 5.5-22.

I didnt read the entire thread, so sorry if this was mentioned...

But this can bend your scope. I know it sounds crazy, but it can.

When you drop the scope into your rings, you might slide it back and forth, and turn it around slightly to see if it's bent.

Or you might even send it in to have it checked.

I dont know how someone could put rings on that wrong.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rear ring was torqued which did stess the scope. ( Couldn't get zeroed due to front ring holding scope up) </div></div>

Ahh, sorry, I missed that. Yeah, if he installed the rings and torqued it down, he could have f'd up the tube.

I would definitely check it (or better yet, have NF check it) even though it is fuctional, it may be bent very slightly. I know guys that run bent tubes, and they work fine. But, if it was someone that you paid and trusted that did it, it needs to be taken care of.

Give the smith a chance to make it right if there is damage to the scope. If the gun shoots good and you're happy with the rest of the work, I don't think a screw-up like that is any reason to disown a smith.

-matt