• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Would you be satisfied with this 100yd Zero?

Falar

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Midland, TX
Recently when zeroing in a new scope on an AR I had to bring the windage 4.3mils Right to zero it. I was suprised at this because I had used a magnetic boresighter to mount it initially and thought I would be at least on paper. Elevation was within 1 mil from the boresight zero.

I've never had to adjust for this much windage for a 100yd zero before. Anyone think it is a bit much or does it just happen sometimes?

Re: Would you be satisfied with this 100yd Zero?

Gonna need some more info...like:

Rifle?

Scope (brand, specs, etc.)? Was it new from the factory or used?

Mount/Rings?

How much did you move the scope's windage while boresighting it? (i.e. - Your boresighter may have screwed up and not necessarily the scope despite getting the elevation close).

Rifle is an AR10.

Scope is a 1.8-10 SN-3

Mounted with USO 30mm rings on a Badger 22 MOA base.

I didn't touch the windage when I boresighted, I just adjusted the rings.

Personally, I'd return it to optical center then use the rings to get it at least within 0.5Mrad before I started mucking with the windage on the scope. USO rings are there so you can have your reticle as near to center as possible in the tube, it sounds like you went to the opposite extreme and used them to move it as far away as possible...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd return it to optical center then use the rings to get it at least within 0.5Mrad before I started mucking with the windage on the scope. USO rings are there so you can have your reticle as near to center as possible in the tube, it sounds like you went to the opposite extreme and used them to move it as far away as possible...

</div></div>

+1

Using the rings to adjust is fine, but like Ratbert said, your scope needs to be at its mechanical center for windage before adjusting with the rings. Recenter the scope's windage adjustments to mechanical zero, then use the rings to get you within at least no more than 1.0mil (or less) right or left, then adjust with the scope from there.

While you may never need the full compliment of windage, you may need the full compliment of elevation and with your scope already turned over 4mils off for windage (or maybe more than that from mechanical center), you are narrowing your elevation range.

I did have the windage at mechanical zero before I adjusted the rings. I guess the boresighter is just not that accurate windage wise because I moved the rings (leaving the windage knob at center) until the reticles overlapped. I still have more than enough elevation travel left than what I need so maybe I'll just let it be. I just wanted to know if it was unusual to be so far off windage wise, especially having boresighted with adjustable rings prior. Considering how very close the elevation was makes it even more puzzling.

Never trust a boresighter, they just aren't able to do more than a very rough ballpark.

Paste a 1" flourescent target dot about 25 yards away, clamp the weapon in something so it won't move and aim thru the bore to center the dot in the bore.
Look thru the scope and adjust elev and wind to match where the bore is pointed.

You should easily be within 1-2" at 100 yards this way.

I've never understood why people spend money for a device that does the above.

Edit:
Oh yea....if you can't see directly thru the bore...use a mirror
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd return it to optical center then use the rings to get it at least within 0.5Mrad before I started mucking with the windage on the scope. USO rings are there so you can have your reticle as near to center as possible in the tube, it sounds like you went to the opposite extreme and used them to move it as far away as possible...

</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

What he says +2

I'm willing to bet the face of my muzzle device not being a "true" surface is what caused it. I fixed it by remounting the bore sight and noting the position of the reticle. The vertical part of the crosshair lined up exactly with the 3rd vertical line to the left of center on the bore sight. I reset the windage knob to mechanical zero and then used the rings to put the reticle back where it was. I put them back to 30 in/lbs and then went to the range and believe it or not I was still zeroed! Thought I would have to make a few small adjustments but this method let me zero with just the rings so that my scope is zeroed windage wise at its mechanical zero.

The best way to boresight a gun is to actually look down the bore. There isn't anyway better to do it.