• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would You Buy a House Next to a School?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I need to move and I have limited choices. Just looked at a house that hit all the marks for the right price --but it's literally right across the street from a high school or middle school, I don't which. It's a corner lot and across from the far back corner of the school property, but nevertheless, if you walk ten feet or so past the mailbox you'll be on school property.

So what would you do?

Can you get an FFL and be that close to a school (in WA state)?

If you moved in the house, would you call the police to introduce yourself? So if/when they got called they wouldn't show up in full on boogie mode once they realized it was "just me"? One up side to being that close to a school would, hopefully, be an increased police presence and lower crime rate... Also guaranteed no pedos for neighbors.

Speaking of, should I introduce myself to the neighbors? You know, beyond just saying "hi" and how would you go about doing that other than saying "hi, I"m moving in next door and I have a shit ton arsenal but don't worry, I don't star on CNN?"

It'd be inevitable that someone would see something eventually, either loading up or unloading rifles from the truck, or the M2HB for a sure-fire attention getter, or opening the garage door revealing something else... There really is no concealment except for the fact my truck would most likely be parked in front of the garage door obscuring some of the view.

I shouldn't have to hide my 2A Rights but at the same time I personally don't wanna advertise around a school for other reasons. I have ridiculous security but I'd still prefer to not have to deal with unwanted visitors. I'd prefer to not be red flagged "just 'cuz" also. What should I do? I know the house has these obvious drawbacks, but just how bad are they? Now I have already called my lawyer, and he didn't have anything to say about it one way or another but real estate isn't his gig.

Is there anything else I should know or be aware of?

Schools are bullshit magnets in this day and age.

1. Oh god that man has a rifle case! SWAT Team now!!!
    2. Get off my lawn you fuckin drug addicts.
    3. No you can’t play Pokémon Go! in my fucking back yard.
    4. No, Susie. You can’t stop by to chat regardless of how much I remind you of your father.
    5. That sounded like someone screaming at someone in Spanish, that this car was already stolen and they can find another! And your car is gone.

Let me summarize this. In an average day, I have maybe 3 neighbors who anything my life. They see what I’m doing, and we know each other. 3-5 more strangers drive by. A day.

Living next door to a school, 700 kids see what you do. Every day. With 500 more parents. All of which have the exact same criminal makeup as the general population.

One cop who is busy as fuck INSIDE the school is busy ignoring whatever you might have needed help with.

My property borders a school-middle school-rural-Trump country. Thing is the school is on a 40 acre chunk-of which almost all of it is baseball fields. Basically my house borders a field. As far as guns and stuff I load and unload in garage specifically and don't advertise etc. Funny I've been there 15 years and never really thought about it until recently.

Fuccckkkk living next to a school.

Why would you call the police to introduce yourself? Are you looking to draw attention to yourself?

Why would you need to introduce yourself to your neighbors other than when you eventually run into them and do the basic “hi I’m ____ yea just getting moved in.” Most people are weirdos and anyone who buys property next to a school is a bit off.

You want to run an FFL out of your house while living across the street from a school...in 2019 America...

Don’t do it dude.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Do not buy a house near a school even if it is the most perfect house in the world
    Buy a lesser house in a better location.

Remember the 3 rules of real estate?

location location location

There is a reason....

yes , I would if the house was just that nice no other wise like the woods far too much need room to breath .

Hope you got the message.

Look at how the school ranks in the academic performance of its students. Parents move into districts with good schools to send their kids to. This will increase the value of your home. On the other hand if the school is full of hood rats stay away. Your home is your largest investment the school can make or break the valve of it.

Don't introduce yourself to anyone, neighbors or police. You will meet your neighbors eventually. Just be friendly . Some will stop by and introduce themselves some won't. Lay low for a while and get a feel for the neighbors and the neighborhood.

Reactions: Alabusa
    Being right next to a school probably means its within some city or town limits. Cities and towns are just another layer of government trying to run your life and tell you what you can and cannot do. If you like freedom like the rest of us on this board, I would pick a location elsewhere in an unincorporated area.

Don't do it. Especially if it is a high school. Seriously just find another place. Does not matter if the place is a "good" school. Ever here of a school that did not have it's share of problem students?

Suggest you re-read The Kings post above. Why would you want hundreds of people you don't know looking over your place on a daily basis?

I don't know you from Adam but it seems to me that you are answering your own question in your post. You are already concerned enough to be talking about strong security, talking to an attorney, talking to local police, worried about what others may see and worried how they would react when they do.... Seems to me that's your gut telling you to walk away and your head is looking for reasons not to listen.

I sincerely hope that what ever choice you make works out wonderfully for you and your family.

Schools are bullshit magnets in this day and age.

1. Oh god that man has a rifle case! SWAT Team now!!!
    2. Get off my lawn you fuckin drug addicts.
    3. No you can’t play Pokémon Go! in my fucking back yard.
    4. No, Susie. You can’t stop by to chat regardless of how much I remind you of your father.
    5. That sounded like someone screaming at someone in Spanish, that this car was already stolen and they can find another! And your car is gone.

Let me summarize this. In an average day, I have maybe 3 neighbors who anything my life. They see what I’m doing, and we know each other. 3-5 more strangers drive by. A day.

Living next door to a school, 700 kids see what you do. Every day. With 500 more parents. All of which have the exact same criminal makeup as the general population.

One cop who is busy as fuck INSIDE the school is busy ignoring whatever you might have needed help with.

This (y)

And, remember, you’re in the greater Puget Sound area..........snowflake central. Nothing but downside.

+1 What the other members have said...

And though I understand you do not want to "hide" your support for the shooting sports, there is no need to let any random stranger know either. No good can come out of that.

No matter how many times you attend a neighbor's BBQ and how many times you smile and say hello to them every morning, they are still technically strangers to you. Because you sure as hell will not confide in them sensitive information about yourself and they also will not confide in you about them. You will not know if they have any skeletons in their closets so why should you let them know ANYTHING about your own personal life aside from what you wear every day as you leave for work and what kind of car you drive (hard to hide that obviously).

Bottom line is: When in doubt, think the worst of people. I don't mean fortify an upper room and hold overwatch 24/7 with an AR in hand, but be wary and think about your own interests, and the interests of your family FIRST AND FOREMOST. Because once someone you are not close to have learned a little too much about you, you have now become vulnerable, from a martial arts and chess standpoint. At best, you might have a neighbor who is high as a weather balloon 23 hours a day and doesn't give a shit about anything other than getting his weed. At worst, you will have a pragmatic potential enemy who has gained substantial leverage over you and in the future when a dispute arises or he/she just want shits and giggles, they can red flag you, SWAT you, and do other nefarious things against your life and character. Be more pragmatic than the most pragmatic motherfucker that you think you might encounter. Before you make a move, any move, consider at least 3 possible negative consequences that can come from that action and ask yourself whether they outweigh the possible benefits, or not.

People who meet me tends to end up with more questions than answers about me, and I intend to keep it that way. Life ain't nothing but a constant card game and I prefer as much of the odds in my favor as possible.

+1 What the other members have said...

And though I understand you do not want to "hide" your support for the shooting sports, there is no need to let any random stranger know either. No good can come out of that.

No matter how many times you attend a neighbor's BBQ and how many times you smile and say hello to them every morning, they are still technically strangers to you. Because you sure as hell will not confide in them sensitive information about yourself and they also will not confide in you about them. You will not know if they have any skeletons in their closets so why should you let them know ANYTHING about your own personal life aside from what you wear every day as you leave for work and what kind of car you drive (hard to hide that obviously).

Bottom line is: When in doubt, think the worst of people. I don't mean fortify an upper room and hold overwatch 24/7 with an AR in hand, but be wary and think about your own interests, and the interests of your family FIRST AND FOREMOST. Because once someone you are not close to have learned a little too much about you, you have now become vulnerable, from a martial arts and chess standpoint. At best, you might have a neighbor who is high as a weather balloon 23 hours a day and doesn't give a shit about anything other than getting his weed. At worst, you will have a pragmatic potential enemy who has gained substantial leverage over you and in the future when a dispute arises or he/she just want shits and giggles, they can red flag you, SWAT you, and do other nefarious things against your life and character. Be more pragmatic than the most pragmatic motherfucker that you think you might encounter. Before you make a move, any move, consider at least 3 possible negative consequences that can come from that action and ask yourself whether they outweigh the possible benefits, or not.

People who meet me tends to end up with more questions than answers about me, and I intend to keep it that way. Life ain't nothing but a constant card game and I prefer as much of the odds in my favor as possible.

“Police find Man with “Massive” weapons and ammunition cache across from school”.....News at Eleven. It’s for the children....

No.
    Fucking.
    Way.

I lived next to a school once. I was driven crazy by all the bus traffic and weekend use of the ball fields and people not caring or knowing where the school property line ended. And you never get a good understanding of who belongs there. Terrible place to live if you're paranoid.

Reactions: 308pirate
    Ignore all the issues related to your shooting hobby, just for the moment. Go check out the traffic around a school at arrival or dismissal. Since no one rides the bus anymore, you've got a bazillion cars zipping around every morning and afternoon - most of which are giant mommy-mobiles being driven by distracted parents. I see it every day around my kids' school, and there is no way in hell I'd want to live amongst that sort of chaos.

If I were single in WA I'd buy a mostly wooded piece of property and put a ~ 800sf cabin like house on it. The fruit loop chicks out there will think you're back to nature cool and want to bang in the cabin in the woods.

If I were single in WA I'd buy a mostly wooded piece of property and put a ~ 800sf cabin like house on it. The fruit loop chicks out there will think you're back to nature cool and want to bang in the cabin in the woods.

Toe fungus, hairy armpits, essence of patchouli oil, do stank, fat and obnoxious. Sounds like a great time :rolleyes:

Signed,

A local....

No.

I didnt even read your post.

Do not buy next to a school.

Friends and shooting buddy is my real estate agent. Said never ever.

I trust her.
    One advantage however of living near schools.....and hospitals......is if your area is prone to power losses, guess which grids get repaired first.

Reactions: oneshot86
    I asked your question to Rebecca without any background to you or anything else.

Her answer was a resounding no.
    Then I told her about your toys and she said never.

Same thought I had...

Reactions: oneshot86
    Toe fungus, hairy armpits, essence of patchouli oil, do stank, fat and obnoxious. Sounds like a great time :rolleyes:

Signed,

A local....
    Just crossed WA off my list of possible places to go if the wife runs me off, which is becoming a greater possibility every day.

Had an apartment across the street from a school for two years. Depending on what time I got home from work there were days that I could see my place but not get to it. And if I could get there I couldn't park because all I had was street parking. Eventually the landlord turned the yard into a parking lot but the soccer moms would just park in front of the driveway.

I guess that I will vote against the crowd.
    Do it!!
    Get a full sized van for your gun hobby/sales and black out the windows. You can store your shooting camera equipment in it. Maybe even paint it like an old ice cream truck.

Back to sanity.
    I have seen several old schools that have been converted into office space or condominium/ rental properties. When the town decides to build a new school they will change the codes/restrictions in order to recoup money with total disregard. Even if they don't sell/restructure the facilities. Who wants an abandoned old school across the street.

I say get the van and the house. At least when your property value hits rock bottom. You can get free accomodations at the iron bar inn

• Haha
    Reactions: M8541Reaper
    There would be only a couple of reasons to buy near a school, you or your spouse is a teacher, or you have school-age kids. If you have neither then don't do it. You are just begging for trouble if you do. I have both my wife is a teacher and my boys are in high school. We made the mistake when we first moved to Colorado of buying a super nice house across the street from the elementary school my sons went to. They got picked on and shunned because I had antlers hanging in a tree in the back yard. It was the lib bullshit "why do you kill animals, why can't you just buy meat at the grocery store". It's just unneeded bullshit in a life that's already full of dealing with it.

I rented one next to a school once. It sucked. The local snowplows turned around there keeping the school parking lot open so imy sidewalk constantly got piled on with snow. Meanwhile I had to keep the sidewalks shoveled for the kids or be fined (I lived in a communist state at the time). Pretty much had to shovel constantly to keep up with the plows. Never had an issue with the kids themselves but they were maybe 5-10 year olds there.

Everyone I know that lived next to a school has had problems. Whether the problems were only increased traffic when parents drop off or pick up their kids, to fraternity parties that block off entire streets with traffic.

A high school and all the kids would especially be a non-starter for me. Just too many issues with kids loitering around at your place, seeing what you are loading or not loading into your vehicle... At some point, some kid is going to recognize gun cases, and let his buddies know that the guy in that house has guns. Someone that knows a thief will eventually find out. Or, someone red flags you because you have guns and they just make shit up.

Even if a house wasn't next to a school, I wouldn't introduce myself to the police unless they were already there, simply because the police would wonder "why the hell is he doing that?"
    I would wait to meet neighbors more naturally when you see each other doing normal stuff, or if they come to your house. Going to someone's house to introduce yourself would likely make them wonder "what's up?"

Unless the house had a six foot stone or masonry fence all around it, and a garage where no one would ever see me loading or unloading guns, I wouldn't do it.

Kids are naturally nosy as hell and tell others what they learned. Word of your gun ownership would get out and make you a target for burglary or harassment.

Last edited:
    Just say no to that house.

For many reasons.

Imho

One advantage however of living near schools.....and hospitals......is if your area is prone to power losses, guess which grids get repaired first.

Fuck living near a school.

1567887783870.png

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Yeah what the FUCK is UP with introducing yourself to the cops?

Seriously, who does that?

Remember Army Jerry? What did he use to say? Yeah, never ever give The Man a reason to be in your life. Inviting him in is about the worst way to follow that advice.

Nope. Fuck that. Had opportunity to buy a nice house next door to a school. Didn't know the location though. Saw the school and called the realtor before she even parked to say NEXT!

nothing but a hassle

Yeah what the FUCK is UP with introducing yourself to the cops?

Seriously, who does that?

Remember Army Jerry? What did he use to say? Yeah, never ever give The Man a reason to be in your life. Inviting him in is about the worst way to follow that advice.
    Inviting LE into your life socially is one thing, professionally is a whole nother deal. JMHO.

Lived in a decent neighborhood for 17 years. One day they opened a school three houses up from me on what was once a very nice dirt lot. Two years later our formerly nice neighborhood was a ghetto and we moved.

Learn from others mistakes.

I met with Strykervet this afternoon and talked with him about this house. I think that I, and many other people on this site didn't get an accurate impression of where the potential house is relative to the school, so I would like to try and help out.

If you imagine a large rectangle laying on it's long side, and starting from the top right corner, call the top right corner the #1 corner. Then moving clockwise around the rectangle there would be corner #2, #3, and #4. The school is on corner #1, and takes up about only a small amount of that block. Behind the school are baseball and soccer fields. Strykervet's possible house is near corner #3...as far as you can get from the school on the rectangle.

I had the impression that the house was on the same street as the school, (ie between corners #1 and #4. The traffic problems I imagined if he was across the street from the school were wrong. He would be on a side street the feeds onto the street where the parents and buses would be unloading and loading kids. The only kids going past his house would be the few that would be walking the 3 blocks from corner #3 to corner #1.

I don't think the traffic would be as bad as I initially imagined, and he wouldn't be within view of kids hanging around in front of the school. The house backs up to the far corner of the soccer field, then other athletic fields, and finally the School.

I have never lived close to a school before, but realized that I had the complete wrong impression, and hopefully, my explanation will help Strykervet get better information and some new opinions. Thanks to all who are trying to help him out...he really is a great guy.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    One of the first houses we looked at when we moved to Utah, we pull up and realize it is directly next door to a mormon church. Like, parking lot ends. your grass starts, next door.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

1567994013724.png

It really doesn't matter in Utah, you're going to be visited often by Mormons, same thing in Idaho.

It's the traffic and the crowds.

As far as the Mormon visitors, dealt with them once in KS: "guys, don't take offense but I'm not interested in discussing any religion with any one". No drama, told them no thank you and goodbye.

personally I wouldn't but if it was a college.... i'd set up a White Claw beverage stand and die a happy man.

• Love
    Reactions: clcustom1911