• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

would you buy an AIAW or DR SRS scout

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I know you guys hate this, but ima throw it out there just for fun. Here are the stipulations:

Would you rather have a AIAW .308 in a 1.5 chassis with nothin else or a DR SRS in .308 with a premier heritage scope.

Where is 5500 better spent between these two choices.... for those of you that were goona mess this thread up with "neither, id buy a KMW or a patriot arms or a gap, or a badger m2008 build" those dont count for this threads purpose
smile.gif

I love the AIAW. its proven itself over the years, but the SRS seems to have it all. I wish there were more write ups on it.

Re: would you buy an AIAW or DR SRS scout

Yes to the AIAW. Mine is in .308 with S&B PMII 3-12...Not the cheapest but certainly the best rifle I've ever bought/owned. Never disappoints (despite my best efforts to let it down..), never had any problems, never fails to make me smile.

The SRS is certainly a rifle I'd like in the collection and is next on my list....but, better than an AIAW? That is a BIG ask.

thanks for them messages guys. to be honest. I have an AW but still have not fired it due to glass coming from USO. I got one of those special edition GEn2XR reticles back in JAn. I was thinking if I sold the AW, I could buy a SRS with all the trimmings and be shooting. Right now all i can do it go look at it. I missed all thr matches this year and love the way the SRS looks. With an AAC cyclone it would stll be shorter then the AW. PLus you can pop the barrles out and change calibers and it should make cleaning an ease also.

Id know Id prob never be able to get another AW.

There's nothing worse than having a gun and not being able to shoot it. HAve you thought about getting the AI BUIS? I have them on mine and I know that even if I wreck the scope I can still get rounds down range.

You can do the barrel changes on the AW...but the kit is not cheap and I don't know if it is easier than the SRS.

Also cleaning is no problem on the AW...I have a fixed stock but use a 48" rod and it works a treat. Easier if you have a folder though.....

The SRS has an edge in terms of size and mobility I think....

One more for the AIAW

How many of the folks who are choosing the AIAW have shot the SRS?

If I was going to stake a life on it, at this point I'd still take a AIAW simply because it has years of reliable service behind it. For playing games I actually prefer the SRS. The stock fits me well, the weight and balance are lightyears ahead of the AIAW, I can run both short or long action with switch barrels, length with suppressor is the same as the AIAW without, and I genuinely expect it to shoot .5 center-to-center or better 5rd groups including cold bore every time. I can't think of a specific instance where it hasn't but I'm sure they've happened; I don't get out the calipers and measure every group.

The AIAW certainly are nice. I do like the ergo's of the thumbhole, the action is impressive, and the magazines are a much heartier and mature design than the SRS IMHO, but I just feel like I'm handling a field piece every time I pick one up. I'm not a fan of the forearm for positional shooting, and I genuinely feel sorry anytime I'm at a class and I have to watch some poor bloke have to hold the thing up for a full 5 rd group. Take a 22 or 24" pipe and hang another 8-9" suppressor off the end of it and you start to look more like a pole-vaulter than a shooter.

I've got an AW and every so often I've considered selling it and getting the SRS. The funny thing is the previous owner of my rifle did the same thing.

What I like about the SRS is how much lighter it is than the AW and how much better the ballance appears, mostly for reasons of shooting in positions other than prone supported.

Being able to swap out to larger (or smaller) chamberings is nice too. And I certainly like the very generous OAL for the .338LM.

I would however like to see the provision for adding an accu-shot monopod.

Still, I hang on to the AW because it's so well proven by people and environments much harsher than I'll ever be, and I find that comforting.

I'd say hold what you've got if you're happy with .308 and other '08 boltface cartridges; the AW is still the king of the hill. But if you are thinking about eventually getting a .300WM or .338LM you might be better off with the SRS.

The opinions expressed above are the same reasons I still hold on to my AIAW. It is tempting but.... who knows what tommorow brings. The zombies may just come yet so I stick with battle proven
smile.gif

I'm still curious about a shooter's ability to get a good position behind the glass with the SRS. From the pictures, it seems like a take-it or leave-it position based on the chassis.

Yea ther is no adjustable cheek rest for the srs atm so eye better align with your scope. I have read that one of the biggest complaint of the srs. Perhaps the best option is to just save more coin up for the srs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read that one of the biggest complaint of the srs</div></div>

Where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starvin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would however like to see the provision for adding an accu-shot monopod.
</div></div>

I agree with you here. This is something that I asked about specifically when I placed my order for the SRS. My understanding is that there is nothing in the works to either accept a monopod or for a proprietary monopod. I placed my order but I would still like to be able to use a monopod. FWIW

For the money, the SRS in a 308 (or 243) and the 338 caliber change would be a hard package to beat for doing everything from 100 to 2000 yards.

I like the compact bulpup design of the SRS but the action being so far back seems like it would be a chore to manipulate. I have never shot one before so I am just guessing.

I do have an AIAW and I totally love it!

I am also curious as to whether the bolt maniulation will be awkward due to the bullpup design. I should know for sure once I get my rifle in the next several weeks. If it just a takes a little re-training to be familiar with this platform, I still think that the compact nature, balance, and easy caliber change option will make the system well worth it.

The SRS is designed with its stock and scope mount to put the eye in the center of the socpe. It does it quite nicely. You don't need adjustments unless you are a elf or Andre the Giant.

Or have a jaw structure like mine! I have yet to get behind a rifle without an adjustable cheek rest and be GTG. I had asked for a measurment from the top of the cheek area to center of optic so that I could compare to where my cheek rest is set on my rifle but I am sure they are very busy and probably forgot. I have since decided to stick with my AI and have not pursued this further. However, if anyone has the info handy, it sure would satisfy some curiosity!

The rifle is designed very well. I have had no problems with any of the concerns posted here.

Keep the factory or new brass you shoot for it specifically. It has a tight chamber and some resised brass fired from other .338 LM's chamber to tight or not at all.

The benefits outweigh the concerns by far, i would recommend shooting one before passing judgment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read that one of the biggest complaint of the srs</div></div>

Where?</div></div>

personal PMS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea ther is no adjustable cheek rest for the srs atm so eye better align with your scope. I have read that one of the biggest complaint of the srs. Perhaps the best option is to just save more coin up for the srs. </div></div>

Obviously this "complaint" is from those who have not shot the rifle.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea ther is no adjustable cheek rest for the srs atm so eye better align with your scope. I have read that one of the biggest complaint of the srs. Perhaps the best option is to just save more coin up for the srs. </div></div>

Obviously this "complaint" is from those who have not shot the rifle.

Take care,Stan </div></div>

Yo stan, I got this from an SRs owner. I sent him a PM askinh how he liked it and he loved it. He mentioned he had to get used to it, but said nothing but good about the rifle. I meant this more of a statement suggesting that the rifle is so good that it ahs been difficult to find anything wrong with it.

This is whats making it so hard not to sell the AW and but an SRS and a premier scope for the same price.

Is It just me , This is like , Apples vs Oranges RE the cal .

The AI AW is a 308 system

The SRS , I feel is a 300WM or 338LM based system ( Primary ), ( yes I know they make it in 308 cal as well , BUT thats like building a 308 on a Long Action )

SO maybe IT should be MORE like , SRS vs AWSM .

Later Chris

Well I own an AW an AWM and I'm waiting to take delivery of my SRS. I've been anxious pit them all up side by side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vette447</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am also curious as to whether the bolt maniulation will be awkward due to the bullpup design. I should know for sure once I get my rifle in the next several weeks. If it just a takes a little re-training to be familiar with this platform, I still think that the compact nature, balance, and easy caliber change option will make the system well worth it. </div></div>

The different bolt location was really a non-issue for me. Magazine changes required more muscle memory training that the bolt manipulation, by far.

Never owned either, but if I were buying, AIAW...

It's just a proven winner.

Not to metion, +1 on what Tigerbikes said, I like to shoot left a lot.

Hi. Just came from FinnSniper and placed third with my partner. I normally shoot TRG-42 (including this competion), but after the match I had a chance to test a Desert tactical arms Stealth recon Scout in 338LM. Compared to TRG or AIAW the DTA SRS is extremely compact and therefore very handy in the field. If you are judging the rifle purely from the usabilaty from prone the AIAW probaly does as well as DTA. However the compact size of DTA makes it much easier to handle from kneeling, standing and sitting positions. We shot the rifle from various positions, including prone. Due the od export laws of US the rifle came without a muzzle breake and without threads for one. So we used the rifle "naked". Still I was easily able obtain hits up to 750m in 4-6m/s wind. The rifle just came directly back due the straight design. There was a slight jump of the barrel, but the conrollabily without a breake or supressor was better than with TRG-42. For me the bolt operation or lack of cheekpace was no problem, but some of longer gyes were complaeining about it. The trigger is ok, but not as good as in TRG. I am seriously concidering one for my self. Assides from tactical work the rifle would be serious Moose, bear and Boar stopper.

AI AW easy!! I have shot both. I own two AI AW's. I sold a couple of rifles to get the second one.

I have to vote SRS since I just made a deal to get number 2 on the way to my FFL. I see about 4-6 barrel extensions in my future. 338, 308, and the others yet to be named, but one will be a 6.5 of some variety.