• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Would you trade you bolt gun for a gasser???

TKellogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
South West Michigan
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this since it is the semi auto section but here it goes.

If you could only have one either a bolt gun or gas which would you have?

I'm trying to decide this myself as I have a .308 bolt gun but want to try a .308 AR-10(I'm looking at an armalite). I can only do one at this point in my life so both isn't an option.
I've got a USO 1.8-10 Tpal on order for the bolt gun but find myself looking at an AR-10 and thinking that they may better fit my needs. Quick/rapid engagement out to 550yds.

Let me know what you guys think and why.

Re: Would you trade you bolt gun for a gasser???

I voted no... semi autos are great, in a limited role... in all honesty, a LOT of us can run a bolt just as quickly, because making an accurate shot is the limiting factor on your rate of fire, not the few tenths of a second it takes to manipulate the bolt.

It really depends on the situation. At 550 yards a bolt gun in my opinion will work fine. However at a less than a hundred yards in a battle situation, I will take my AR every time.

What FM said above is spot on. Once you become proficient with a bolt, you can acquire and engage targets as quickly as a semi-auto, if not moreso. It doesn't matter how fast you can cycle the semi if you're not on target with each follow-up shot.

A bolt is much easier to learn and be accurate with than a semi, they're not as heavy, and there's less that can go wrong with a bolt gun than a semi.

Would I trade my POF for a good bolt? You bet I would. I love my POF but I would seriously consider trading it for a DTA SRS chambered in .308.

i just spent alot of money building an long range AR platform.. i kinda regret not building a bolt gun. i guess it depends how what your going to be doing with the rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What FM said above is spot on. Once you become proficient with a bolt, you can acquire and engage targets as quickly as a semi-auto, if not moreso. It doesn't matter how fast you can cycle the semi if you're not on target with each follow-up shot.

A bolt is much easier to learn and be accurate with than a semi, they're not as heavy, and there's less that can go wrong with a bolt gun than a semi.

Would I trade my POF for a good bolt? You bet I would. I love my POF but I would seriously consider trading it for a DTA SRS chambered in .308. </div></div>

Killshot, were you still at the range when I did the demo at 100?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What FM said above is spot on. Once you become proficient with a bolt, you can acquire and engage targets as quickly as a semi-auto, if not moreso. It doesn't matter how fast you can cycle the semi if you're not on target with each follow-up shot.

Would I trade my POF for a good bolt? You bet I would. I love my POF but I would seriously consider trading it for a DTA SRS chambered in .308. </div></div>

Killshot, were you still at the range when I did the demo at 100?</div></div>

Negative.

Both are great in there own right! It comes down to what your doing with it and how you shoot! But you cant go wrong with a good bolt gun! So if I could only have one it would be a bolt.

I really like my POF 308, but lately have been seriously thinking about selling it and buying a GAP.
I like both but find myself shooting bolt guns a little more often.

I voted yes, when limited to a 308 discussion.

I think that with the quality autos available today you're not giving up much of anything of any real importance by going with an auto 308 instead of a bolt gun. Reliability is the one thing that still concerns me with gas 308s but they're getting better all the time.

For me I wouldn't part with my bolt gun because I know that I cant drive my gas gun as well. The gas gun has a pretty big advantage when banging large steel targets, but when I want to go for a sub MOA target at 600 yards I want to be behind the bolt.
Even if I were a better semi auto shooter I'd probably still feel that way.

If I had to pick one short action rifle to be in my safe an only one it would be a gasser. I drive em just as well as a bolt only difference is how much ammo I burn in a day

I vote no, because to me there is no real speed difference when shooting both, acquiring the target is just as fast with either, but I'll take the reliability of a bolt over a gasser any time. That's not to say there's anything wrong with a gasser, my father owns one and its fun to shoot with and rarely has a problem, but if I had to choose between "rarely" and "never" I'll choose never.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CallOfDuty#1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gas gun are more bad ass</div></div>

Really? That's your reason? Stay away from the video games.

I say no
just save and soon enough you will have the money to do what you want,it has taken me about 18 months to build my grendel and know I have both

I do have a grendel build in the future plans as soon as I finish building my wife her AR.

I can shot a standard AR very well(personal opinion) and seen them shoot just as well bolt guns that is why it is such a tough choice for me.

Thank you all for your opinion and keep them coming...my mind is still no made up.

Love my gas guns, I have some decent bolts too.

You will get better accuracy with a bolt, but if you keep with something tried and true, (skip the AR 10 for now IMO) reliability won't be an issue.

The auto will always be faster, if you spend as much time practicing with it that is. Taking your finger off the trigger between shots just isn't as quick. More chance to lose sight picture and all that. But that being said, for most people, that will never matter.

No and the reason is 7wsm won't work in a gasser lol. Really semi autos are great but the bolt guns in my stable will never be replaced by gas guns. Too much of a pain fl sizing ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I voted yes, when limited to a 308 discussion.

I think that with the quality autos available today you're not giving up much of anything of any real importance by going with an auto 308 instead of a bolt gun. Reliability is the one thing that still concerns me with gas 308s but they're getting better all the time.</div></div>

I second this comment. I just traded my bolt action 243 for an AR in 308. I'm giving up a HUGE ballistic advantage for a lighter, shorter package. But comparing a bolt 308 to a semi-auto 308? Gimme a gas gun.

I voted yes so here's my reason. My rifles are a Remy 700 SPS-T with HS stock, and a Leupy MK4 3.5-10x40 for bolt gun and my gasser is Mega MA-Ten w/18 in Rainier bbl, UBR, MK2 3-9x40 and PA Micro. Both my rifles are hefty 308s, they're pigs. But both balance well and are totally managable.

They both have places but I do need some upgrades on my bolt. First thing that needs done is have my bolt gun threaded to put a brake on it. With no true recoil pad it pounds on my scrawny 165 body. Having a brake would tame that. Plus I plan on getting a TBAC soon so I'll need it done anyways.

I would like to get a DBM set up on the bolt but after building my Mega and as cheap as mags are why get a DBM? If I need to put massive amounts of lead I have the gas gun. But lets be honest, how often, other then comps, are 5 rounds not enough?

Another reason is that I've had no formal training on bolt guns. Come April will be my 10 year anniversary in the WY Guard and AR controls have become muscle memory. Two years ago I took my Bolt Elk hunting and used my Gasser this past season. I felt more comfortable with my gas gun.

Its just my personal preference but thats my reasoning, thankfully I have both and other guns for the choping block if I need to get funds.

In your situation..... Give me the AR 308... Specifically an LMT MWS..
smile.gif

I voted YES, since I traded in my bolt and glass for a POF in .308. It has taken some retraining, but the POF is actually more accurate than my stock Savage .308 was.

I like gas guns because of the way they fit me but I;m guessing that a bolt gun would probably feel better if I spent a grand on a manners stock.

I think some of the newer gas guns in calibers like 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5x47, 6XC that allow the use of longer and higher BC bullets have changed the game a bit. Some of the accuracy that is now being achieved from both AR15s, in calibers like the Grendel and 6mm Turbo 40, and AR308 platforms is pretty impressive.

I think the gas gun has yet to see its day.

No. I would not traded away my only bolt gun for a gas gun.
Yes. I would buy another gun to try out. But at 550 yards I would stay with an AR15. No reasoon to go to a .308 for that close work.

I absolutely love my gas guns, but in your case I would say no to the trade. I have 6 AR's, but I keep wanting a "tactical" style .260 or .308 in a bolt gun.

One thing you could do is keep your bolt gun and build a gasser 1 piece at a time. I did this with my first AR. Just a thought.

I've tried the bolt thing a couple times and it just doesn't do it for me. I really want it to work but I just can't seem to get there.

I JUST DID!,so my vote was yes.for extreme long range(900 yds.plus)bolt guns and big cartridges will win out.from 900 and in an accurate ar 10 will do the job wonderfully.personally i absolutely hate 16-20 pound .308 bolt guns.it's like putting a v-6 in funny car.i personally would rather have a gasser,can be made lighter(larue predator,16" fluted barrels,and other models)without beating you to death(gas system helps)repeat shots are faster,period.the fastest bolt ripper in the world ain't getting back on target faster then a a gasser.and the biggest plus to me is you can get a good lower with a good trigger and stock and put caliber upper you want on it.you can have a 6xc,6.5 creedmor,.243,.260,.308,.338 fed.,16",18",20" what ever you want and still have the same trigger and stock and ergonomics cause your using the same lower.big plus for me.16"carbine .308 upper with 20" accurized upper in back pack.all one ammo.the ultimate bug out rig to me.

Depends on the gas gun. If someone offered me a GAP-10 or a KAC M110 (two gas guns i very so desire) then hell yeah in a heartbeat. Other than that no not a chance.

Question: gas or bolt
Available answers: Yes or No

I understand the topic is in the top... but it got me for a min...

No one has mentioned that a bolt rifle is far easier to clean and maintain than a gas rifle.

When on a hunting trip, or at a hotel during an out of town competition, or Heaven forbid during something worse (you never know when knowing how to use a rifle could again become an important social skill), the simpler and easier maintenance can be important. Ever tried to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the various small parts in a gas gun PROPERLY in a hotel room, at night, at a small table, by a telephone that is getting in the way, and a lamp with a 40 watt bulb in it?

Jim G

I voted yes. I just sold off a bolt gun in order to run a gas gun. No regrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I voted yes. I just sold off a bolt gun in order to run a gas gun. No regrets. </div></div>

Got any groups to show of your new GAP 10 6mm Creedmoor?

I like bolt guns because you can shoot as fast as you want to because you don't have to wait for the action to cycle.

From the research and the groups I've been seeing... There isn't much of a difference in a bolt gun and gasser group wise.

My bolt gun is a semi-custom savage and the GAP 10 is really calling my name....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like bolt guns because you can shoot as fast as you want to because you don't have to wait for the action to cycle.</div></div>

I think you're mixed up because a gasser will always cycle faster than you can cycle the action on a bolt gun.

The question is bolt or gas choose one???
There is only one(bolt) and she makes it happen.

Cheers..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CallOfDuty#1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gas gun are more bad ass</div></div>

Really? That's your reason? Stay away from the video games. </div></div>

+1+1+1 lol +1

now if your trading a rem 770 then yes but a good bolt gun, you will be disappointed exotically how fast you will tend to shoot through a wallet full of ammo

On this site you will get keep the bolt if you were at AR15.com they would tell you dump the bolt and get the semi. If you want to bang targets fast the AR is the only way to go. They are harder to shoot accurately as a bolt but they can shoot pretty darn good. As most have said it is very easy to run a bolt fast.

I have a very nice JP gas gun (308) and a Surgeon bolt gun (6.5 Creedmoor). I'd have to say that for me the gas gun is more fun to shoot and is as accurate. So it's a yes and incidentally, I'm selling the surgeon soon to buy another gas gun in 6.5 grendel.

The MATEN group buy that is going on is very tempting... Will GAP work with a MATEN upper and lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CallOfDuty#1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gas gun are more bad ass </div></div>

Very true.. Thats why I would trade my bolt guns. Oh yeah I already have traded them for gas guns...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like bolt guns because you can shoot as fast as you want to because you don't have to wait for the action to cycle.</div></div>

I think you're mixed up because a gasser will always cycle faster than you can cycle the action on a bolt gun. </div></div>

My original post is an old joke in some circles.

The original question is which to choose for quick and rapid engagements out to 550 yards. I shoot both a Remington PSS and an LMT MWS. Quick implies getting on target quickly and rapid implies multiple shots. Both my rifles are capable of sub MOA accuracy but at longer range the LMT is more demanding regarding the fundamentals. Out to 550 yards neither is overly difficult to mount quickly and shoot accurately. Rapidly is another story. The LMT has the advantage. He states "out to 550 yards" which includes anything under 550 yards. Under 300 yards I want a gas gun.

The fact of the matter is that most people honestly can't drive a .308 AR worth a shit, as it takes a much steeper learning curve to master and it's extremely unforgiving when you let your fundamentals and technique slip. On the other hand, generally most folks can learn relatively quickly how to shoot a .308 bolt quite well.

That said, if you can harness the .308 AR than I believe it's every bit as capable as the comparable .308 bolt, and it has so much more modularity, portability, and speed than the bolt has.

Reliability is one to consider with this topic as well, however I truly believe that a LMT MWS, or a KAC EMC is dead nuts reliable. Both are being fielded in large quantities as we speak in combat by the British, New Zealand, and American troops....and both have received nothing but the highest marks thus far. I'm sure there are other very reliable .308 ARs as well.

Lastly, bolts are just so damn boring
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact of the matter is that most people honestly can't drive a .308 AR worth a shit, as it takes a much steeper learning curve to master and it's extremely unforgiving when you let your fundamentals and technique slip. On the other hand, generally most folks can learn relatively quickly how to shoot a .308 bolt quite well.

That said, if you can harness the .308 AR than I believe it's every bit as capable as the comparable .308 bolt, and it has so much more modularity, portability, and speed than the bolt has.

Reliability is one to consider with this topic as well, however I truly believe that a LMT MWS, or a KAC EMC is dead nuts reliable. Both are being fielded in large quantities as we speak in combat by the British, New Zealand, and American troops....and both have received nothing but the highest marks thus far. I'm sure there are other very reliable .308 ARs as well.

grin.gif

</div></div>

Well stated. I learned trigger control and follow through from the Rifles Only's excellent on line training available here on the Hide. I also learned things about placing your head on the stock from a DCM DVD on Designated Marksman training. When I'm doing fundamentals right my CL LMT MWS is an honest 1/2 MOA rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact of the matter is that most people honestly can't drive a .308 AR worth a shit, as it takes a much steeper learning curve to master and it's extremely unforgiving when you let your fundamentals and technique slip. On the other hand, generally most folks can learn relatively quickly how to shoot a .308 bolt quite well.

grin.gif

</div></div>

If I were to have only one and limited to .308, then it would be a MWS. I would prefer a flatter shooting round. But a quality .308 gas platform in the hands of a capable shooter is not giving up much to a quality bolt gun in .308. For the OP it seems versatility is a major factor. I would stick with the Gas gun for now.