• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Wow. ARF has been sold.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Looks like to some group affiliated with Brownells. While I personally don't mind Brownells as an online vendor, I can't possibly see anything good coming out of this.

I mean, lets just play the averages. When is the last time you remember an exisiting entity being bought by someone and it enhancing that entity for you? Honestly, I can't ever remember that happening. Their explanation and 'excitment' about it reminds me a lot of the initial announcment threads about the Scout shitshow, even though Frank was much less rah rah rah about it than the ARF ownership is trying (almost too hard) to appear as.

Can't wait to see the implosion of industry partners and sponsors because Brownell's doesn't want to own a platform that promotes opposing marketshare competition. And I'm counting the days before they amend the rules to basically allow you to be banned because you said something negative and don't share a Brownell's approved message.

Honestly never thought they'd sell out.

well what you going to do ? wait and see if its better or worse apparently the original company did not care enough to run there buisness well enough to make it work , something non magical happened , maybe they just got too greedy or did not invest properly who knows . The new people could be a shite company , but they could also maybe run things better or improve what failed before them . or they shut it down and someone else buys it and the cycle continues .

well what you going to do ? wait and see if its better or worse apparently the original company did not care enough to run there buisness well enough to make it work , something non magical happened , maybe they just got too greedy or did not invest properly who knows . The new people could be a shite company , but they could also maybe run things better or improve what failed before them . or they shut it down and someone else buys it and the cycle continues .
    Face it. All forum owners eventually view their “baby” as a business. Eventually, a situation comes up wherein an attractive $$$$$$ offer is the right price at the right time, and they move on. Almost everyone here would do the same thing. I’ve seen it a number of times before.

Reactions: Stooxie
    Operating a BBS can be a pain in the ass. I also don't like the term "selling out" when it comes to a BBS. If it becomes a popular asset than it has value with demand and with that comes offers. A BBS is not a welfare program. Even the gays at Salon.com are upset because it was sold. Please don't be gay. A lot of them migrated here asking questions like which brake to put on a .308.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Not on ARFCOM but be prepared to have your speech suppressed. As much as I like Brownells I don’t see this as a good move for anyone except the owners of ARFCOM who no doubt got paid well.

Reactions: bobke and Potss
    At least it wasn’t bought by a liberal PAC
    I’ve been on ARFcom (and most other forums) since dial up. None of them (including SH) are the same as they were.
    Some of the HP and Sillywet based forums have resisted change better than most but they are niche markets.
    Precision rifle used to be a niche market, but even most of the industry partners that made it what it is today have suffered the conglomerate fate.
    The world changes, oh well.
    I’ll be over here contacting my “elected” representatives, voting with my wallet, and doing my thing...

Reactions: Steel+Killer
    I’m not surprised it was bought. I’m just surprised by Brownells. Those are two shooting entities I wouldn’t have put together. I’d love to know what the thinking was, but I bet it was pure numbers driven.

Both are businesses and they are there to make money

Anyone a member on the bullet before and after monty sold it?

Reactions: VSP968
    Spent years on the M 14 Forum..... About 5 years ago it was sold out to a Canadian company..... Yep, the Canadians were moderating an American site.... LOL..... and you know how Canada views weapons... Getting "Warnings" became more frequent with threats to send me to the "Banned Camp". I gathered up the email addresses of the Good Guys and told the Canadians where to stick it.... Again, more "Good Guys" than good BB owners...

Hobo

ArfTards have diluted the knowledge base of SH enough already

SNORT. I guess the Hide is now the final gathering place for this merry band of good old, heavy drinkin' and hard ridin' long drive cattlemen. Just like in Open Range...Trying to keep the old ways even as the railroad barons, barbed wire and homesteaders keep taking over more and more of the last pieces of prime pasture land remaining... :LOL:

^in the good old days this place was filled with RKI. If someone wasn't knowledgable they either didn't respond or qualified their response with their limited experience.

Now you have gamers arguing with BTDT types. You have these yards running off the real knowledgable people. They don't post much because they are too busy doing real stuff then they come on here and have some 3gunner talk down to them about gear and its durability or lack thereof.

IE the thread about LPVO

Lowlight is looking for people to ban over there.

Posted by Dog1 @Arf:

----------
    Well crap. Every gun board that I've ever belong to that was sold to a larger organization turned to crap.

Hope that doesn't happen here.
    ----------

I guess no more talking shit about the NRA and their lack of spine in the face of statist parasites or face a vacation or permaban???

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    SNORT. I guess the Hide is now the final gathering place for this merry band of good old, heavy drinkin' and hard ridin' long drive cattlemen. Just like in Open Range...Trying to keep the old ways even as the railroad barons, barbed wire and homesteaders keep taking over more and more of the last pieces of prime pasture land remaining... :LOL:

Wtf is a long drive cattleman?

Wtf is a long drive cattleman?

The earlier cowboys who actually took their herds for hundreds of miles across state and territorial lines, living off the land and being adventurers in the truest sense. Like Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call's band in Lonesome Dove. Their livelihoods were slowly vanquished when railroads became profitable for transporting herds and barbed wire made free-ranging hazardous for both livestock and horses. The lives of these guys were not exactly romantic, dashing or comfortable, but I was just making a comparison for this thread's discussion.

The earlier cowboys who actually took their herds for hundreds of miles across state and territorial lines, living off the land and being adventurers in the truest sense. Like Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call's band in Lonesome Dove. Their livelihoods were slowly vanquished when railroads became profitable for transporting herds and barbed wire made free-ranging hazardous for both livestock and horses. The lives of these guys were not exactly romantic, dashing or comfortable, but I was just making a comparison for this thread's discussion.
    Good description.

There are still plenty of cattleman/cattlewomen.. Just the drive has been reduced.

My son goes to school at the University of Wyoming. Between Gillette, EWC, Colorado State, Casper College and UOW... you have some real talented young men and women even in the College system away from the ranch.. Many coming from generations of ranch families. Not to mention the ones that stayed back to work the business.

Hell my shooter partner for this upcoming match is a professional cattleman & Farrier and we are in California.

Just saying - cowboys are alive and well

Looks like to some group affiliated with Brownells. While I personally don't mind Brownells as an online vendor, I can't possibly see anything good coming out of this.

I mean, lets just play the averages. When is the last time you remember an exisiting entity being bought by someone and it enhancing that entity for you? Honestly, I can't ever remember that happening. Their explanation and 'excitment' about it reminds me a lot of the initial announcment threads about the Scout shitshow, even though Frank was much less rah rah rah about it than the ARF ownership is trying (almost too hard) to appear as.

Can't wait to see the implosion of industry partners and sponsors because Brownell's doesn't want to own a platform that promotes opposing marketshare competition. And I'm counting the days before they amend the rules to basically allow you to be banned because you said something negative and don't share a Brownell's approved message.

Honestly never thought they'd sell out.
    I got perma banned about 15 years ago, and I do not even know why. Perhaps when the transition is complete, I'll make another attempt to register. Brownell's, in my opnion, is probably not seeking to control the message but rather to get closer to the customer.

I got perma banned about 15 years ago, and I do not even know why. Perhaps when the transition is complete, I'll make another attempt to register. Brownell's, in my opnion, is probably not seeking to control the message but rather to get closer to the customer.

A lot of SJW-esque behavior has taken over the boards over there. The gun-specific forums still have good discussions and topics but you can't even have some good normal chillaxing fun in GD. You can post a joke and it runs the risk of offending some snowflake. And god forbid you post a pic showing even a bit of cleavage. A lot of guys have been booted just for posting shit that you can find in any celebrity or sports magazine. It's like the basement dwellers that inhabit 87% of GD have never seen titties before and are mortally offended by the sight of them...

Last edited:
    My son goes to school at the University of Wyoming. Between Gillette, EWC, Colorado State, Casper College and UOW... you have some real talented young men and women even in the College system away from the ranch.. Many coming from generations of ranch families. Not to mention the ones that stayed back to work the business.

Big thumbs up for your son attending UW - where I got my undergrad and just over the mountain from where I grew up. Cowboying is still alive and well here and many places in the west. Still viewed by many as romantic but most won't last long doing it - definitely a way of life, when it is viewed as a job and nothing more the romance is gone quickly lol.

Big thumbs up for your son attending UW - where I got my undergrad and just over the mountain from where I grew up. Cowboying is still alive and well here and many places in the west. Still viewed by many as romantic but most won't last long doing it - definitely a way of life, when it is viewed as a job and nothing more the romance is gone quickly lol.

Thanks -- great country and people.. The wind and never ending winter a bit tough..

Year end Formal -- Pretty sure they all have boots on :) Some of the young people still view it as Romantic :) Hell it might out last 2a at the rate we are going.
    Unknown-6.jpeg

Funny thing my Son on the right is in China on an exchange program, finishing his Mandarin minor (Freshman year). He brought running shoes and his boots.. I asked him if he get funny looks speaking during school. His answer ~ "No, but my boots seem to"

Last edited:
    Year end Formal -- Pretty sure they all have boots on :) Some of the young people still view it as Romantic :) He'll it might out last 2a at the rate we are going.

Funny thing my Son on the right is in China on an exchange program, finishing his Mandarin minor (Freshman year). He brought running shoes and his boots.. I asked him if he get funny looks speaking during school. His answer ~ "No, but my boots seem to"
    It is kids like yours that give me a little hope for the future. Great that he is getting out and seeing some of the world - makes you appreciate the freedoms we have and hopefully provides some desire to work to keep them.

Reactions: Diver160651
    ^in the good old days this place was filled with RKI. If someone wasn't knowledgable they either didn't respond or qualified their response with their limited experience.

Now you have gamers arguing with BTDT types. You have these yards running off the real knowledgable people. They don't post much because they are too busy doing real stuff then they come on here and have some 3gunner talk down to them about gear and its durability or lack thereof.

IE the thread about LPVO

You're right, but we also have a pretty good track record at shaming 'em or running 'em off; shaming 'em down to the point they either fit in or leave. Most of the BTDT types on here plan on staying here, this is home.

My fear is that it could fuck up the good thing we have going --like the tight brotherhood and friendships. The things we do for those in need, etc. Some random fuck who wants to argue about which high speed gear is best for "Force on force urban back yard training ops" surely isn't gonna give a shit about donating money to a long time member in need.

We just don't wanna let that be tainted or die out. It's saved my ass for sure, and I've helped save some other since, and if it meant half as much to them as it did me, then it's totally worth continuing. Not to mention the tighter bonds it forges.

Hopefully the barfcom types stay where they are, and the ones more suited to this place migrate here. That'd be the best of both worlds.

You're right, but we also have a pretty good track record at shaming 'em or running 'em off; shaming 'em down to the point they either fit in or leave. Most of the BTDT types on here plan on staying here, this is home.

My fear is that it could fuck up the good thing we have going --like the tight brotherhood and friendships. The things we do for those in need, etc. Some random fuck who wants to argue about which high speed gear is best for "Force on force urban back yard training ops" surely isn't gonna give a shit about donating money to a long time member in need.

We just don't wanna let that be tainted or die out. It's saved my ass for sure, and I've helped save some other since, and if it meant half as much to them as it did me, then it's totally worth continuing. Not to mention the tighter bonds it forges.

Hopefully the barfcom types stay where they are, and the ones more suited to this place migrate here. That'd be the best of both worlds.
    You said taint

As long as it ain’t some brokeback mountain romance...

A lot of SJW-esque behavior has taken over the boards over there. The gun-specific forums still have good discussions and topics but you can't even have some good normal chillaxing fun in GD. You can post a joke and it runs the risk of offending some snowflake. And god forbid you post a pic showing even a bit of cleavage. A lot of guys have been booted just for posting shit that you can find in any celebrity or sports magazine. It's like the basement dwellers that inhabit 87% of GD have never seen titties before and are mortally offended by the sight of them...

I was only on ARF for a few weeks and the only posts I had made were about shooting not the more wide ranging discussions I often have here. While due to the time that has passed I do not recall details of my particular posts, but generally I only talk about my personal experience or knowledge.

Fuck, another one of those things on this Joe Stalin computer??? SOLD THE SITE??
    Frank has made a few going Scout but probably paid a lot more to bail out. and good for that right there.
    So a sale really ain't shit, just wait for the rules to change. Then Bitch or Bailout.

ALL of those peckerwoods wil bel bitching and screamin like a cat under a fanbelt about their post count or join-up date as if ANYbody gives a FUCK>

I read ARF for the news. They have people everywhere. If something happens, they are right on it.
    There are a lot of people on there and they are entertaining but a lot of them I call young , as in playing games that go on forever.. learn a new word that means something besides dag.

I can only imagine about a post count or join date to those Young WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!!!

Think back as to what went on here. Who gives a Fuck

Powder River, an inch deep and a Mile Wide.. Let her Buck.

I was only on ARF for a few weeks and the only posts I had made were about shooting not the more wide ranging discussions I often have here. While due to the time that has passed I do not recall details of my particular posts, but generally I only talk about my personal experience or knowledge.

You probably reside in a location where a banned member with considerable notoriety lived. They saw your IP/geographical info and mistaken you as that other person trying to rejoin. That actually happened to more than a few other folks on there and they had to plead their cases to the site staff and show proof that they were not the previously banned member before their accounts were cleared again. I am taking a guess but I am almost certain that this was what happened to you.

Reactions: diverdon
    Operating a BBS can be a pain in the ass. I also don't like the term "selling out" when it comes to a BBS. If it becomes a popular asset than it has value with demand and with that comes offers. A BBS is not a welfare program. Even the gays at Salon.com are upset because it was sold. Please don't be gay. A lot of them migrated here asking questions like which brake to put on a .308.

Now I would of thought the gays would want to know how long and thick the brake is.

Reactions: Bender
    First thing they ask. Lots of people reply too.

I’m not surprised it was bought. I’m just surprised by Brownells. Those are two shooting entities I wouldn’t have put together. I’d love to know what the thinking was, but I bet it was pure numbers driven.

Big box shooting company buys popular forum, preferentially advertises brands they carry as well as their own store, discount programs for members, etc. dominates more market share. Eventually sells packets of customer behavioral profiles to interested parties for individualized marketing. Business in America as usual.

LMAO leadership over there in full Iraq PR guy mode have now just equated selling to inflicting 'change' and relating 'negative people' to Americans in 1776 that instead said 'let things stay the same' with the Brits.

Epic level strawman.

The only thing wrong with that thought process is that in their anology, the people in 1776 had fought the British 500+ times in the past and knew the outcome was going to end up horrible for them and didn't want horrible outcome #501 because they had seen it already so many times.

Full speed ahead into the wall.

so whats this jalopy site worth considering the income level and buying power of the average member here is 10 time of more than that kiddie site.
    AJ, you remember that Aussie with his milsim gear he wanted an opinion on? He thought he was posting there. At arf.com, that shit is operator AF.

There are still plenty of cattleman/cattlewomen.. Just the drive has been reduced.

Hell my shooter partner for this upcoming match is a professional cattleman & Farrier and we are in California.

Just saying - cowboys are alive and well
    Shut

Yer

Mouth

About

WYOMING.