• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wow FX Panthera

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    We started down the Air Rifle Rabbit Hole,

IMG_0733.JPG

Utah Air Rifles Sent Chris the FX Panthera for us to try and work with, Precision air rifles has some much potential, but dang I was not expecting this level of accuracy.

IMG_0740.JPG

So first time out with the Panthera, and Chris stacks 7 shots into this 3/4" dot at 100 yards, this is incredible accuracy,
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-06-10 12:44:22.390786.jpeg

So .6" at 100 yards, and we have wind on our range, so definitely impressive. Learning this system the air, the gauges, the point you have to recharge, super cool

IMG_0734.JPG

Lot of potential here

What caliber is that? I have a Beeman Kodiak 25 cal that is far less sophisticated than that, but crazy fun and accurate. I could see something like that in my future.

Reactions: Mike Weldon
    What’s the air gun equivalent of a suppressor on the end of it and how much of a difference does it actually make in terms of sound? I looked on their site but couldn’t find it mentioned.

Reactions: Defender32
    Yeah, just fuck yeah.... I have been resisting this rabbit hole until now... thinking I will order a Panthera 700 in .25

What’s the air gun equivalent of a suppressor on the end of it and how much of a difference does it actually make in terms of sound? I looked on their site but couldn’t find it mentioned.
    @CMP70306 They’re commonly called “moderators” and they’re made for use exclusively in airguns. The sound differences vary greatly between moderator brands and the air rifles they’re affixed to. They can make a substantial difference in sound reduction to where some people can shoot .25 caliber and lower airguns in their suburban yards. Some moderators can dampen sound to the point of most of what you will hear are the parts of the action, mainly the hammer striking the valve. What’s strange is usually what’s loud to the shooter can’t really be heard by people 50 yards away. When you get up to the .30 and up, it’s becomes more difficult to tame the bark, especially with .357, .45, and .50 calibers. I hope this gives you some sort of a better idea.

Some brands to look into are Donny FL, Hugget, and 0 DB. There are others, but these are good places to start.

Last edited:
    Those are awesome results you are getting out of that rifle! I'm looking into getting into air rifles and wonder if this model would be a good starter rifle ?

Those are awesome results you are getting out of that rifle! I'm looking into getting into air rifles and wonder if this model would be a good starter rifle ?
    @RTuba71 What type of shooting would you like to do with an air rifle? At which range(s)? Also keep in mind that getting into PCP (precharged pnuematic) air rifles you will need a fill source for clean, dry, high-pressure air. Common fill sources are SCBA tanks, high-pressure air compressors, a high-pressure air hand pump, or both SCBA tank and HPA compressor. I said that to say expect to spend additional money aside from what the airgun costs.

I've been watching these things for several years now. Eventually I will more than likely jump into this game.

@CMP70306 They’re commonly called “moderators” and they’re made for use exclusively in airguns. The sound differences vary greatly between moderator brands and the air rifles they’re affixed to. They can make a substantial difference in sound reduction to where some people can shoot .25 caliber and lower airguns in their suburban yards. Some moderators can dampen sound to the point of most of what you will hear are the parts of the action, mainly the hammer striking the valve. What’s strange is usually what’s loud to the shooter can’t really be heard by people 50 yards away. When you get up to the .30 and up, it’s becomes more difficult to tame the bark, especially with .357, .45, and .50 calibers. I hope this gives you some sort of a better idea.

Some brands to look into are Donny FL, Hugget, and 0 DB. There are others, but these are good places to start.

Interesting, I have rifle suppressors but my only experience with air guns is a crossman break action and a crossman pump BB gun. Never got into them because I always thought they were terribly inaccurate.

That FX on the other hand has my full attention, I’ve been kicking around a precision .22 LR build but that looks way more interesting to me as I’m not stuck searching for certain lots of ammo.

Interesting, I have rifle suppressors but my only experience with air guns is a crossman break action and a crossman pump BB gun. Never got into them because I always thought they were terribly inaccurate.

That FX on the other hand has my full attention, I’ve been kicking around a precision .22 LR build but that looks way more interesting to me as I’m not stuck searching for certain lots of ammo.
    @CMP70306 Precision shooting is one thing. There are several airgun brands and models that come to mind that are up to the task. Range is a serious factor to consider coming from a powder burner background. In the airgun world, 100 yards is considered long range. Competitions like the Extreme Bench Rest competition (EBR) and the Rocky Mountain Airgun Challenge (RMAC) are the large national competitive events. The New England Airgun Classic is a new comer. Then they’re are Field Target completions which are another animal.

The FX Panthera is a pretty new air rifle. To my understanding it was designed for these sort of competitions. The FX Impact is tried and true and a very popular air rifle for long-range shooting. It’s currently on its 3rd iteration (the MK3). There is also the Rapid Air Worx (RAW) brand of air rifles that can also compete. They’re made in the USA, but come from British lineage via the Theoben brand. The Daystate Redwolf and Daystate Alpha Wolf rifles are finely crafted air rifles that incorporate electronic components. The American Air Arms Evol is another finely crafted rifle capable of competition out to that range. It’s made in the USA. That’s the gun in my avatar. This is far from a definitive list, but a few examples of upper tier air rifles to look into. When people compete with their rifles, they often have them modified or modify them themselves. As shooter in traditional shooting completions may work to develop loads and match them to complementary barrels, airgunners “tune” or adjust their rifles to certain projectiles. They will also purchase different barrels. Some swage and size their own slugs, others buy commercially available projectiles and have somewhat elaborate processes of selecting the desired projectiles from these commercial made batches.

If you just want to lob out some long shots and ring steel for the challenge, consider looking into Air Force Airguns’ “Texan” line. I have seen them in a .257, .357, .457, and .50 cal. I’m not expert here but these are a few things to look into and consider to better familiarize yourself with what’s out there.

Last edited:
    Reactions: goatboy and lash
    I’m in for one but I have some other irons in the fire. I started looking about a year ago. I figured that I’d have at least as much into a .25 cal air rifle as I have into any of my custom rifles. Then I’d need to spend another $4000 just to be able to recharge the thing. So about $10k if I choose to go with lesser optics. But…no primer shortage…

@RTuba71 What type of shooting would you like to do with an air rifle? At which range(s)? Also keep in mind that getting into PCP (precharged pnuematic) air rifles you will need a fill source for clean, dry, high-pressure air. Common fill sources are SCBA tanks, high-pressure air compressors, a high-pressure air hand pump, or both SCBA tank and HPA compressor. I said that to say expect to spend additional money aside from what the airgun costs.
    Probably just plinking at 100 yards max and maybe some NRL22 stuff locally. I'll look into some of the other guns you mentioned also, I'm already prepared to buy a compressor to fill tank like someone mentioned.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
    Probably just plinking at 100 yards max and maybe some NRL22 stuff locally. I'll look into some of the other guns you mentioned also, I'm already prepared to buy a compressor to fill tank like someone mentioned.
    If you are looking at 100 yards max, you might want to consider something optimized for pellets vs slugs. They are cheaper and generally more consistent than slugs at the distance you mentioned.

As someone else said, if you want backyard friendly a. .22 or .25 is easier to keep quiet compared to a .30 cal. If you don't care as much about the sound, the .30 is really impressive at 100 yards and less. You can also hunt with a .30 in many states. I am 0.5 mile from the GA state line and can hunt turkey or deer in that state with my EVOL 30 PCP. The .30 does use more air per shot and the pellets cost more compared to a 22 or 25, everything is a compromise. Some (like FX) allow a lot of adjustments for tinkering but need to be babied somewhat. Others are more set it and leave it with robust build quality (EVOL) allowing rough and tumble hunting. Figure out what is important to you and do your research.

Not sure if Dairyboy is still active on SH or not. He is incredibly knowledgeable on airguns and has owned most of what is out there.

Last edited:
    That particular moderator is an Impulse Air. They work very well and tame the bark of these high power PCP airguns well.

The Panthera is a BEAST. when you get it balanced at eh 19lb mark, hammering positionally and very consistent. It's a hard one to beat.

70683747362__88FCA03E-B0BA-4095-A14E-416910E0B312.jpeg

IMG_8090.jpeg

2-3 shot groups, 2-5 shot groups and 1-10 shot group all positional from a practice tree. target is a 3/4' circle @50y.
    IMG_7910.jpeg

I’m in for one but I have some other irons in the fire. I started looking about a year ago. I figured that I’d have at least as much into a .25 cal air rifle as I have into any of my custom rifles. Then I’d need to spend another $4000 just to be able to recharge the thing. So about $10k if I choose to go with lesser optics. But…no primer shortage…
    @Aftermath $10k is very steep for someone just starting to get into airguns. For folks that may not be sure that airguns are for them, you can get your feet wet for around half the price and still have a decent setup (look into an FX Impact, FX Maverick, RAW HM1000, AAA Evol, or BRK Ghost, a case for your rifle, a SCBA, tank, a bag for your SCBA tank, a few sleeves of pellets, maybe a couple extra magazines (these can get pricey), a decent bipod or tripod and ball head (if you don’t own one). If you already have decent glass with Mildot or MOA reticles, no need to worry about purchasing an additional scope or rigs/mount. It’s very desirable to have a scope that focuses down to 10 yards on the parallax knob. As for an air source, when I started I purchased and used a carbon fiber 4500 psi SCBA tank for a year making trips to a dive shop once every week or two to refill it. The tank cost me around $500 and refills were $20 to fill from empty and $12 to top it off. Then I bought a small portable compressor that is capable of directly filling an airgun reservoir, I still preferred to fill from my SCBA tank. When I knew I was committed to this hobby, I purchased a dive-quality compressor after much thought and research. This thing should last as long as I am able to shoot.

A top of the line personal compressor capable of filling a 4500 psi SCBA tank would be a Bauer Junior II (German made, distributed out of Virginia) which will probably run you around $5500 new before shipping. An Alkin W31 Mariner (Turkish made, Assembled in New Jersey) is not far behind it and they go for around $4500 before shipping. A slight step down would be a Coltri MCH6 or a Coltri Icon (Italian made, distributed out of California). I’m not sure what Coltris go for now, but I suspect they cost around $3k-$3500 new. These are 60lbs+ compressors, 3-4 stages, running on 220 volts (I recommend the 220V configuration). Shipping should run you $200-$300 on a new HPA compressor. Anything else would be somewhat of a gamble in my eyes, but there are many differing opinions. There are cheaper Chinese made units that start around $400. To me they are a crap shoot. Double check these HPA compressor prices because it’s been awhile since I looked. If you have any questions about getting into airguns, feel free to message me. I’ll try to answer questions that I’m capable of answering. As another member mentioned, Dairyboy is a good guy to ask if he’s around.

Thanks neat. I’m running the older version that’s chrono only.
    Yep. I have that one as well. It stays in the bag for all match outings. Quick reference if needed. This is used for everything else. Actually works on Center Fire up to 4k FPS. I'll be testing that out soon enough on a 6 ARC with 58g pills.

• Love
    Reactions: SkyScrapin
    I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. It is a definite step down from a multi-stage commercial SCUBA compressor. However, it is well made in the UK, smaller, operates on 110V, costs $1500, and does a great job at topping off my air tanks and air guns. It is a great intermediate option between the cheap Chinese compressors and an expensive commercial grade compressor.

Last edited:
    Frank, were you guys using pellets or slugs? For whatever reason the word slug denotes a cast, swaged, or lathe turned, lead bullet in the airgun world?? Don't know how that came about but its what word they use.

The reason I ask is a high BC pellet has a G1 BC of .05-ish which is of course dismal. Man they blow in the wind a lot compared to 22rf.

But there is one 25 caliber slug I know of called Altaros that has a G1 of .21 that a friend recently won a long range event with having a perfect score of 250 and this was out to 265Y IIRC.
    It was also done with a Panthera.
    Altaros also has a .21 BC 22 cal slug as well as a .25 BC 67 grainer in 25 cal.
    These have potential of overcoming 22rf at long range due to the lower ES and higher BC.

Yep airguns have come a long way in the last two decades as far as pcp's go and now the pcp's with appropriate barrel twist rates are coming along really well the last couple years.

As you can tell the Panthera was designed with PRS and NRL22 in mind which was unconventional in the airgun world previously.

Last edited:
    Here's an interesting article on airgun precision.

The .058 moa part is in jest, he's trying to make a point as you will see when you fully read it.

Was shooting the panthera in 22 with the 34 grain javelin slugs. These guns are absolute power houses. They are extremely accurate when tuned correctly and a blast to shoot.

The fx true ballistics chronograph retail for around $1k. A very nice piece of kit as well.

Attachments

• 20230401_181728.jpg
      20230401_181728.jpg
      481.6 KB · Views: 129
    I find the new section on air gunning fascinating. I am trying so hard not to go down that rabbit hole just yet.

I bought a Benjamin Cayden for a budget, put a Ares 2.5-15 on it and it's been great. After zeroing it at 25 I could consistently hit a 3/4 in washer on a fence at 50. Certainly good enough for head shots on squirrels. Put a Huma regulator on it to quiet it down. Since it's a 3K fill I've got plenty of scuba tanks for air.

Reactions: lash
    Just jump into the rabbit hole head first. Much cheaper to shoot and get trigger time. And great for getting the kids to shoot as well, as well as getting the older group into shooting. Hell that would work for some of you old guys here ;)

Attachments

• 20230608_192157.jpg
      20230608_192157.jpg
      886.9 KB · Views: 161
    • 20230516_115732.jpg
      20230516_115732.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 194
    • 20230516_110426.jpg
      20230516_110426.jpg
      946.1 KB · Views: 158
    Last edited:
    Just jump into the rabbit hole head first. Much cheaper to shoot and get trigger time. And great for getting the kids to shoot as well, as well as getting the older group into shooting. Hell that would work for some of you old guys here ;)
    When I was looking at the pic of the red Impact I noticed the back of the pellets in the mag are coated with a orange color. What's up with that if you don't mind sharing??

Reactions: lash
    Even without using a camera it makes seeing the slugs MUCH easier.

I have a tray in 22 and 25, they work for both pellets and slugs. Each try will do 121 in one go. Start with a layer of primer, then your color, then a top coat. I used your typical spray paint but found that my air rush worked much better and didn't cake on the paint on the block as much. And all the paint is water solvable so much easier to clean.

Reactions: lash and steve123
    @Aftermath $10k is very steep for someone just starting to get into airguns. For folks that may not be sure that airguns are for them, you can get your feet wet for around half the price and still have a decent setup (look into an FX Impact, FX Maverick, RAW HM1000, AAA Evol, or BRK Ghost, a case for your rifle, a SCBA, tank, a bag for your SCBA tank, a few sleeves of pellets, maybe a couple extra magazines (these can get pricey), a decent bipod or tripod and ball head (if you don’t own one). If you already have decent glass with Mildot or MOA reticles, no need to worry about purchasing an additional scope or rigs/mount. It’s very desirable to have a scope that focuses down to 10 yards on the parallax knob. As for an air source, when I started I purchased and used a carbon fiber 4500 psi SCBA tank for a year making trips to a dive shop once every week or two to refill it. The tank cost me around $500 and refills were $20 to fill from empty and $12 to top it off. Then I bought a small portable compressor that is capable of directly filling an airgun reservoir, I still preferred to fill from my SCBA tank. When I knew I was committed to this hobby, I purchased a dive-quality compressor after much thought and research. This thing should last as long as I am able to shoot.

A top of the line personal compressor capable of filling a 4500 psi SCBA tank would be a Bauer Junior II (German made, distributed out of Virginia) which will probably run you around $5500 new before shipping. An Alkin W31 Mariner (Turkish made, Assembled in New Jersey) is not far behind it and they go for around $4500 before shipping. A slight step down would be a Coltri MCH6 or a Coltri Icon (Italian made, distributed out of California). I’m not sure what Coltris go for now, but I suspect they cost around $3k-$3500 new. These are 60lbs+ compressors, 3-4 stages, running on 220 volts (I recommend the 220V configuration). Shipping should run you $200-$300 on a new HPA compressor. Anything else would be somewhat of a gamble in my eyes, but there are many differing opinions. There are cheaper Chinese made units that start around $400. To me they are a crap shoot. Double check these HPA compressor prices because it’s been awhile since I looked. If you have any questions about getting into airguns, feel free to message me. I’ll try to answer questions that I’m capable of answering. As another member mentioned, Dairyboy is a good guy to ask if he’s around.
    Yeah....it's not about being out cashish for a new hobby I might not be interested in, it's more that I am in the process of building a house on property that doesn't even have a road yet. Water well, shop, house and ln the meantime, living in a rental with limited storage. Once complete, or at least closer to complete, I will definitely invest because I shoot...and I am going to have 800 plus yards to shoot at my place. Plenty of vermin to take out.

I have a list of common mods to this, so add those in but this was/is my plan:
    Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 05.48.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 05.51.52.png

So....$10k...no dive shops within reasonable driving distance and, besides, I don't want to drive to get fucking air.

We started down the Air Rifle Rabbit Hole,

View attachment 8161026

Lot of potential here

You realize people will see this and the only thing they will get is "I need a scope level" and there are going to be 50 threads on which is the best to buy.

Probably some "WTB" threads even.........maybe some dude will 3D print them and offer them for sale without an account posting also in Mandarin.

Why do you do this to yourself? You should enjoy your Father's Day.....not encourage the prohibited person threads.

• Haha
    Reactions: b6graham and lash
    What bipod are you using and is that an MDT night vision bridge holding it?
    That is a Saber Tactical rail and what appears to be a GRS bipod.

The rail has brass inserts to increase the weight as well as being a much more rigid rail than the stock unit.

What advice do you need?

I have mine shooting the javelin v2 3r grain slugs at 980 fps and getting the same groups as Frank showed. Ver close to the factory settings. Just a few minor tweaks and it shoots great.
    Woogie, if its ok lets move this to pm's and not crap up Franks thread. PM inbound.

Reactions: woogie_man