• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WOW RRA with this answer!!!

BOL556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
Recently I posted and tried to attach pics of damage possibly done by a POF roller cam pin. So went back to stock config and fired 50 more rounds and after cleaning the upper and comparing the pics from before it looks like the wear/damage is getting worse. So I emailed RRA with what was going on as well as a link to my facebook with all the pics. This is a killer answer and would love to see if anyone elses AR has the same "wear lines". Gave up on trying to attach pics on a post so here is the link for the comparison pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=100000282004842&aid=49755

Now the good part here is a RRA tech answer to what is in the pics.
"This is a normal wear line that you will see on all AR's, more so on piston converted uppers being caused by the cam pin head riding alone the side. It is a condition since the original design of the AR and can't be remedied. It has been in discussion on the forums for many years."

I have seen and fired many AR as well as carried an M4 for 10 years and have never seen this so called "wear line". Little history on the rifle. I bought my RRA after returning from deployment as a present to myself in Jan 07. Went back to Germany and didnt fire it till returning to the states in mid 08. Since then I might have reached a round count of about 6-8,000 rounds fired and that is a high estimate. So now I would like to see or read from any of the AR owners out there if they have this on there rifles and with in the same amount of rounds fired or more. Does anyone out there
know anyone good to get in contact with from RRA to address the issue to.

Re: WOW RRA with this answer!!!

Sorry cant see its on Facebook... Dont have it, dont want it. Try Photobucket or something similar.

Finish your profile.

Tried photo bucket didnt work so gave up on it. Also my profiel is complete the way I want it.

I've had good luck with RRA'S customer service, I would call and talk to them personally. I can't remember the gentleman I spoke with, but he was easy going and eager to help.

I can't tell much from the photos you linked, but it looks like the carrier is dragging on that side of the receiver. Maybe the BCG is loose fitting and tilting too much during cycling. how do the BCG or cam look? Do they have obvious wear signs (steel vs aluminum so it won't be as bad as the receiver)? How about the transfer key, is it wearing more on one side than the other?

I personally think pistons are best kept in guns designed for them. Also excessive wear on a used and heavily modified AR, doesn't seem like it would be covered under warranty. But as I said, they are nice folks and may help you out if you call them and ask nicely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried photo bucket didnt work so gave up on it. Also my profiel is complete the way I want it. </div></div>

Many folks don't have nor do they want facebook, so if you are trying to share pics for informational purposes or to assist with a description like that in this thread, there are far more effective methods at your disposal. Try tinypic instead of photobucket...it is pretty foolproof.

All my ARs have the "wear line". It stabilizes after the gun is broken with 1000+ rounds.

The BCG does have some new marks on it towards very back (using bolt face as front) other than that nothing else is showing on the BCG of making contact with the area.

It looks like someone didn't seat the firing pin retaining pin in all the way. Is it inline with it? Its hard to tell, the pictures are crap.

I can't figure out what you are saying, and can't see any photos, but there is some truth to cam-pin marks in the upper being common. I don't really agree that you can't do anything to eliminate them, but I do agree they are somewhat normal.

carrier key out of the track? I have seen a few installed from the factory with one side up on the edge of the track, after they wear through the anodizing they will continue to wear.
If it was the roller cam that wore it off or the carrier key being reinstalled after it isn't RRAs problem IMO.

LOL...you post on a website that you need help but then go out of your way to not provide the information needed to provide the help.

In any case, Ive been reading about this issue for years. Ive heard many a manufacturer say its normal.

That is complete nonsense.

I have had no less than 20 different AR's since I first heard some manufacturers make this claim....I have NEVER had this problem.

As I write this, I am looking at the inside of my Larue upper that I was taking apart to duracoat. The inside of the upper has NO scratches, gouges or wear marks.

Ive got 1000+ rounds through that upper.

So to answer your question, I refuse to accept that it is normal wear.

If it was it would happen to every AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might be as simple as a burr on something. </div></div>

That's what I thought looking at it.

I have a RRA had it for 10years, no problems 2000rds.

BUT I`M DISAPOINTED WITH THE IDIOT YOU SPOKE WITH THAT IS NOT NORMAL.

CUSTMER SERVICE IS DEAD

It's common in piston guns as opposed to DGI due to the differences in how the bolt cycles. In DGI the bolt moves initially causing the rotation and eventually the carrier moves back. With a piston rig the carrier moves back, pulling on the bolt. The bolt has to move fast enough (usually from a spring) to move out of lock then travel with the bolt. When this doesn't happen you'll get the wear lines. The H&K 416 is notorious for them and they won't do shit about it. The H&K is so bad that it will commonly shear off bolt lugs due to the bolt not rotating out of lock quick enough because of the piston setup. YMMV.

Copied a couple of them out for you:

196379_201293733223359_100000282004842_731128_2965895_n.jpg

183912_198072293545503_100000282004842_705005_5645908_n.jpg