• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wow, these fake online gunshop websites are getting really good

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
It used to be a snap to identify a phony take your money, fake website. They're getting crazy better. I was looking for a threaded barrel for a Beretta 92 and they're sold out everywhere. I finally find a place and although I've never dealt with them the website looks absolutely authentic. The price isn't insanely cheap, which was always a dead giveaway before, and the array of products they have looked in line with selling a Beretta barrel. They're not selling washing machines and mobility scooters.

I drop the barrel in my cart and go to check out and there it is, the dead 100%, sure thing giveaway that this is a scam site. The only way to pay is through freakin' Bitcoin or Zelle. There's no option for Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or PayPal. They almost had me. If they ever figure out a way to spoof Visa this is going to get really ugly.

Yup I've seen many like that.

They will contact after you place your order and ask you this send private info in a text.

Doc

I’ve also called a business next door to the business in question. Also you can see a discrepancy with the website name or phone number between website and the streetview information.

well you can only try and fail so many times before a person will try to do something and get it right if they learn there previous mistakes though the basics always remain zilla , no credit cards , bit coin big red flags and pay pal f/f lol that one is funny
products no one else in the country can get and in crazy quantities that no one else could get In a shop where if you look them up has only been in business for a couple days or weeks and when you google the address it takes you to a field in the middle of nowhere unless corn has taken up selling reloading supplies or is secretly planning a revolt . it's probably a scam not much creativity there not a lot of thought given to there scam .

Reactions: AKMarty
You have to Whois the domain. These fake sites often are carbon copies of legit sites. They’ll even leave the real address and phone numbers so if you try to look either up it’ll look legit, or if you call you’ll get the real shop. The domains are also generally close enough that they are phonetically the same or a misspelling of the actual.

They’ll also pay for actual advertising so they might show up on deal sites or whatever.

Like I said, best bet is internic whois and see if it traces back to a legit business. If not, I’d avoid the site.

It used to be really easy to spot them. They were like the old catfish emails, full of misspellings and grammar that wouldn't get you past the 5th grade, cut and paste graphics that looked like

Come on man, somebody has to try the newest hottest Nigerian pop-up crypto-fueled cloud-based virtual Obtanium dealer!

• Haha
Reactions: Milo 2.5
Somewhat off topic but try Barsto barrels they make probably the best pistol barrel money can buy however they are pricey. Irv Stone the owner is a great guy family owned business.

Somewhat off topic but try Barsto barrels they make probably the best pistol barrel money can buy however they are pricey. Irv Stone the owner is a great guy family owned business.

Funny you should mention Barsto barrels. I did turn to them and ordered one. Unfortunately, it will take 3 to 3-1/2 months to get. Oh well, hopefully, I won't catch the latest, greatest covid variant by then.

Barsto said they are busier than they have ever been.

I ran into a similar scam 3-4 years ago, looking for a Barrett M107A1 + case, suppressor and accessories.
The scammer “Brad” used the FFL License and business address of a legit brick and mortar gun store in Arkansas. Had a similar email address as the real shop.
Brad said they took credit cards, bitcoin and Western Union.
I waited a day and the price was all of a sudden
1/2 price. If I pay in the next day by Western Union. YEA!!! ….. then…. WTF???

I look up the shop online and call them.
They don’t sell Barrett but they keep receiving calls for “Brad” who doesn’t work there.
I went back and looked at the full headers on his emails and they were coming from a domain in India.
Clearly a scam but hey let’s have some fun.

Emailed “Brad” back and asked him If he could supply a dozen Barretts? Yes.

Asked if he could ship to a PO Box in Nuevo Laredo Mexico. Yes.

Asked if I could pay extra for no ATF and export paperwork. Yes, he said my emails seemed like I was an honest man.

He quit responding when I asked if he could take (a white powdery substance) in trade. :)

Picking up the phone and calling, while nobody seems to want to do it these days, is a good way to get a bit of a clue about who you might be dealing with.

I ran into a similar scam 3-4 years ago, looking for a Barrett M107A1 + case, suppressor and accessories.
The scammer “Brad” used the FFL License and business address of a legit brick and mortar gun store in Arkansas. Had a similar email address as the real shop.
Brad said they took credit cards, bitcoin and Western Union.
I waited a day and the price was all of a sudden
1/2 price. If I pay in the next day by Western Union. YEA!!! ….. then…. WTF???

I look up the shop online and call them.
They don’t sell Barrett but they keep receiving calls for “Brad” who doesn’t work there.
I went back and looked at the full headers on his emails and they were coming from a domain in India.
Clearly a scam but hey let’s have some fun.

Emailed “Brad” back and asked him If he could supply a dozen Barretts? Yes.

Asked if he could ship to a PO Box in Nuevo Laredo Mexico. Yes.

Asked if I could pay extra for no ATF and export paperwork. Yes, he said my emails seemed like I was an honest man.

He quit responding when I asked if he could take (a white powdery substance) in trade. :)
That's hilarious. Too bad you can't take opportunities like that all the way and mail him 5 pounds of dog shit.

Reactions: Pbgt
Maybe we should start a list with the names of these sites...

Handloading Supply seems fishy to me.

Maybe we should start a list with the names of these sites...

Handloading Supply seems fishy to me.
As does this.

2023-01-02 10_24_21-Window.png

its crazy how many places have pay with Zelle or crypto currency.
It used to be a snap to identify a phony take your money, fake website. They're getting crazy better. I was looking for a threaded barrel for a Beretta 92 and they're sold out everywhere. I finally find a place and although I've never dealt with them the website looks absolutely authentic. The price isn't insanely cheap, which was always a dead giveaway before, and the array of products they have looked in line with selling a Beretta barrel. They're not selling washing machines and mobility scooters.

I drop the barrel in my cart and go to check out and there it is, the dead 100%, sure thing giveaway that this is a scam site. The only way to pay is through freakin' Bitcoin or Zelle. There's no option for Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or PayPal. They almost had me. If they ever figure out a way to spoof Visa this is going to get really ugly.
I totally agree I’ve been looking for a S&W 7.5” barrel 460 bone collector. Find a ton of sites That say they have them to only get to check out and see the Zelle or bitcoin. I’ve found a few on gunbroker but they are way overpriced.

its crazy how many places have pay with Zelle or crypto currency.

I totally agree I’ve been looking for a S&W 7.5” barrel 460 bone collector. Find a ton of sites That say they have them to only get to check out and see the Zelle or bitcoin. I’ve found a few on gunbroker but they are way overpriced.

Zelle or Crypto or other such payment services as the only options for an online store pretty much scream fraud in big flashing lights.