• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WRA 69 Brass

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Does this brass have a crimp? I would think not but damn if it doesnt appear to.....

Re: WRA 69 Brass

OK, so I am bit confused. I thought only LC (non match) had the crimp. When did Winchester ammo start or stop having crimped pockets? Was it just the WRA versus the WIN headstamps? Did all the vietman era 7.62 ammo have the crimp. I have a couple thousand rounds of TW (Twin City Arsenal), I wounder if it does as well.

Military ammo has a crimp. If it's made by LC, WRA, WCC, RA, or some other foreign mfg. it will 99% of the time have a crimp.

Some of the civie ammo that's made to mil-spec has a crimp on it too.

(I say 99% of the time because I'm sure if I say "always" someone will prove me wrong with something I've never seen or heard of before)

WRA with the last two digits of the year of production is the way Winchester's conglomerate marked its USGI contract ball ammo.

In 5.56 M193 stuff (pre-NATO adoption), Winchester had its WCC division making the mousegun ammo. They might have had others involved, too, but that's all I saw in that caliber. Headstamps are WCC with [XX] year opposite the WCC. All was ball, all was crimped that I've ever seen.

There's a lot more to USGI ammo production than LCAAP, especially during the Vietnam years--a small war in general, yet much larger an operation at its peak (more than a half-million troops IN THEATRE) than our current pathetic efforts to control Iraq and Afghanistan.

Back then, ammo was really in production, at multiple facilities.