• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WRA Rack Grade Garand

Orlando

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2011
Ohio
Went to the North Store last week, everything was very picked over, nothing really spoke to me. Was going to get two barreled receivers and was getting ready to check out and saw the rack of $600.00 WRA Rack Grades. Funny thing is they gauged better than the SA, HRA Field Grade rifles and overall condition was better.
Picked out a nice WRA , looks to be original finish receiver with replacement 1952 SA barrel MW 1.5 TW 3.
A real mixmaster, beveled gas lock, solid pin in lower band , 19 SA Bolt, HRA Op Rod ,pristene all correct 65 series trigger group, nice HRA stock and buttplate. Front handguard has biscut repairs and saw cut gas cylinder will need refinished. Gas cylinders gauges good as does Op Rod.
Not sure why this rifle was Graded a Racker, could have easily been a Field Grade
I put back the two barreled receivers and picked out a receiver for future project
Heres pics of her after I changed the gas cylinder and wiped down the wood with BLO
Picture660.jpg

Picture661.jpg

Picture663.jpg

Picture669.jpg

Picture666.jpg

Picture665.jpg

Picture664.jpg

Picture670.jpg

Picture671.jpg

Picture.jpg

Re: WRA Rack Grade Garand

Nice! That's why I drove 13 hours to the store. Worth the drive
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Orlando,

How does she shoot? </div></div>

I have been working on another Garand and havent had a chance to shoot the WRA yet, maybe tomorrow
Heres what I have been working on for a few weeks using up some spare parts I had laying around.
Used a Boyds/Dupage stock which did require some work to get fitted. Probably spent several hours fitting not including and finishing work
Installed a nice used VAR barrel (MW .5 TW 1.5 ), used a 65 series bolt,did trigger mod so pull is a nice, crisp 5lbs.
Also modified a NOS gas cylinder so the ring doesnt touch the barrel and beveled the lug so there is not handguard contact.
First trip to the range rifle grouped decent but wasnt as good as I had hoped. Brought it home and found there was still some Op Rod contact to the stock and also needed to remove alittle more wood under the receiver as contact wasnt even
Hopefully next trip I can get her dialed in
Picture626.jpg

Picture628.jpg

Picture627.jpg

Picture645.jpg

Picture647.jpg

Picture643-1.jpg

Picture642-1.jpg

Picture641-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Orlando,

How does she shoot? </div></div>

Just got back from the range
100 yds
Bench
1967 Greek HXP surplus
Flier was my fault
Picture078.jpg

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

That's about as good as it gets with garands shooting surplus ammo. Definitely a shooter.

Nice job.

Very nice find, I could never live to close to one of the stores, I would always be broke. Going to the stores is the way to go though. I picked up a Field Grade SA at the south store in 2006 that had a TE of 1.5 and MW of 1.5 with over 90% of the parkerizing present, stock was USGI walnut and in good shape. I still can't figure out why it was a Field Grade, it was nicer than the two Service Grades I've purchased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I picked up a Field Grade SA at the south store in 2006 that had a TE of 1.5 and MW of 1.5 with over 90% of the parkerizing present, stock was USGI walnut and in good shape. I still can't figure out why it was a Field Grade, it was nicer than the two Service Grades I've purchased. </div></div>

Used to be it was easy to find some gems mixed within the lower Grades
Anymore its more the norm for the lesser Grades to be in need of a rebarrel
I remember the days of the Woodless Danes Rack Grades
They had some nice early WWII parts and many made great shooters. I sure miss those days

It's probably at least due to the smattering of non-matching parts. For example, the springfield trigger group. Has the receiver been reParked?

The stock probably isn't original to the rifle, just because it looks so darn good form your pics. But I could be wrong.

If you got a Garand book you should start analyzing how complete/original it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DubGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's probably at least due to the smattering of non-matching parts. For example, the springfield trigger group. Has the receiver been reParked?

The stock probably isn't original to the rifle, just because it looks so darn good form your pics. But I could be wrong.

If you got a Garand book you should start analyzing how complete/original it is. </div></div>

I realize its a complete mixmaster as I stated in my post, only WRA part is reciver. A mixture of parts has nothing to do with grading form Rack to Service Grade
No the stock isnt WRA ,also stated in my original post its a very nice HRA
Receiver appears be original finish

Unfortunately all of the online sales of Winchester rifles are sold out. The last time I was at the south store, the shelves were nearly bare of Winchester's...

Beautiful rifle, and definitely something you can be proud to shoot for decades to come.

I was a little skeptical about that cmp deal. I take it must be ok to deal with? Never have liked buying anything site unseen.

CMP is good to go.

Their customer service is excellent. Rare to get a rifle that doesn't exceed their description, and more rare to get a rifle that fails to at least meet the description. If that happens, they'll take care of you.

Furthermore, once you meet the basic qualifications, they ship right to your house. No FFL needed.

The supply of M1's that'll be available through the CMP is finite. One day, probably fairly soon, they'll run out. Buy now, or cry later.

And OP, great find. She's a beaut!

Called CMP today and got the ball rolling, very good people to work with. Just have to send in my American Legion card and some other minor info, then get to play the waiting game. Pics will follow when she arrives. Thanks for the info guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smp2500</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Called CMP today and got the ball rolling, very good people to work with. Just have to send in my American Legion card and some other minor info, then get to play the waiting game. Pics will follow when she arrives. Thanks for the info guys. </div></div>

I've had great luck with the CMP. You can rest assured that they over-deliver just as former0302 stated. Have you decided on what grade you are going to order?

The field grade, there only $525 and seems that from the description they should be pretty decent. Now I've got the bug and I'm looking at parts already. Thinking of a re-barrel to 308, might be a ways down the road though. I love these older rifles though and this has been on my list for awhile. I already have an enfield and an eddystone, so this is going to be a great addition. Next is my 03 springfield.

Just so you know the Field Grades by description can have very worn barrels and are canidates for rebarrel.
I have handled mnay hundreds of them at the North Store and most have tomato stakes for barrels. That being said "If" you can handpick there are always a few good gems hidden amoung them.
Yes someone will come along and say how they got a rifle with low barrel wear and is a tack driver. While this can happen it isnt the norm.
Usually the wood is also very mismatched and can be cracked.
The best bet for a nice shooter are the $625 Service Grades, WELL worth the $100 more than the Field Grades
If you want a 308 they sell those as complete rifles also, with new Criterion barrels

I didn't notice those on there. I may have to revisit my decision. Thanks

Man seeing ones like this pop up make me want another one. I've had a few from CMP Garands over the years. I might just have to make a road trip to Ohio when home again and sift through the pile.