• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wrist Coach for PRS match: Not comfortable.... Any alternatives?

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I went to my first PRS style club match a couple of weeks ago. I used the COF paper to write down different info for each stage. It wasn’t practical at all. Some of the guys recommended to buy a wrist coach.

I got this one from Amazon and I don’t like it. I just tried it for 5mn and it irritates the skin. I can’t imagine using it when it gets hot.
What are my alternatives?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ONQJSG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a piece of white duct tape and a sharpie then I have custom notes for each stage. KISS

Last edited:
I prefer the Python from Sidewinder Industries, has never got in the way and is always right where I can see it. For more money you can get a Hawk Hill dope card holder that's rifle mounted, for less money you can make your own rifle mounted card holder.

Sounds like you need to harden up if it irritated your skin. Just kidding. I use the under armor wrist coach which is dry whick so doesn't really bother you. As mentioned the Python from Sidewinder Industries is a good option. But the oldest is the good old blue painters tape on the backside of a scope cover

Thanks for the input.
I also wear long sleeves (UA heatgear type when it's hot).

The Sidewinder seems to be a good option. The access seems to be quicker and it won’t be affected by what you wear.
Quick question: What's the difference between the Python Sidewinder and a Luggage Tag Holders?
Also, what's the 3D Printed Pic Rail option for the Python?

they make ones for soldiers called leaders arm boards. look for one of those

I switched from a wrist coach to the Sidewinder that Marcus makes. Never a shortage of dope/business cards to write on and it is never uncomfortable or in the way. Much prefer weapons mounted right now. The new Garmin watch with AB and the Range Card feature looks pretty great too.

Kydex, Velcro, painters tape. No need to break your cheek weld to look at your dope.

Attachments

• photo73068.jpg
    photo73068.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 227
  • photo73069.jpg
    photo73069.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: Praeger
I switched from a wrist coach to the Sidewinder that Marcus makes. Never a shortage of dope/business cards to write on and it is never uncomfortable or in the way. Much prefer weapons mounted right now. The new Garmin watch with AB and the Range Card feature looks pretty great too.

I'll definitely go with a weapon mount. I was thinking of getting the Python and attach it to my front scope ring. I'm not sure what's the "3D Printed Pic Rail Attachment" option on his site (dropped Marcus an email and asked him the question).

I like it. I'm not sure what's the purpose of the painters tape.
You could make some and sell them here.

I write my dope on the painters tape. Peel it off when stage is finished and write dope for next stage on new tape.

Sidewinder / Python are great !

https://www.bisontactical.com/products/sidewinder
https://www.bisontactical.com/products/python

I have the new ones in stock that are longer, totally clear and double sided.

Also, depending on the type of event, the Tab gear super low profile wrist coach is very nice. It doesn't attach like other wrist coaches, it much nicer. I sell them in my shop, but they aren't on the website yet. Give me a shout and I can explain it if you want.

For example, I shot the Logan, NM NRL match with unknown target locations this past weekend. It was super useful to be able to draw out a diagram of the targets. In normal PRS you wont' need to do this, and the sidewinder/python will work really well, but you should have something you can draw out a diagram on for competitions that have unknown distance, and unidentified targets like Steel Safari etc.

I got the Python with the "3D Printed Pic Rail option".
So, the "the 3D Printed Pic Rail option" is a plastic picatinny rail adaptor that has a hole for the Python to wrap through if you don't want to wrap it around the scope or rings.
The whole setup is pretty nice. I definitely prefer this over the Sidewinder with the Velcro attachment.
Here's a pic.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/4pQXQH7.jpg"}[/IMG2]

As far as I know (I asked Marcus about it) the above 3D printed holder was something he tried out for just a short time, and didn't continue with. I don't think they are available anymore. If you want one, the best bet would be to contact him directly at Sidewinder Industries to verify... Or, I could be remembering wrong and he didn't make them but someone else did?

As far as I know (I asked Marcus about it) the above 3D printed holder was something he tried out for just a short time, and didn't continue with. I don't think they are available anymore. If you want one, the best bet would be to contact him directly at Sidewinder Industries to verify... Or, I could be remembering wrong and he didn't make them but someone else did?

The pic I posted above is my rifle with the Python and 3D printed pic rail I received and installed today. I ordered it directly from his site and there is the option of ordering if with the 3d pic rail adaptor.

http://www.sidewinderindustries.com/

Nice ! Thanks for letting me know, I will have to talk with him about it again, since I obviously didn't get it right :).

The only change I would recommend is getting the new version of the python or sidewinder, I think its nicer (its longer, and clear so you can run it double sided):

I was going to post the link, but I can't seem to find them on his page... I will try to post a pic tomorrow from my rifle.

Here is a picture (all I have in stock now are these new ones):

Attachments

• NewPython.jpg
    NewPython.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I use the Sidewinder and Armageddon armband. The Sidewinder is all I need 90% of the time. Most wrist bands will give you more real estate for when you need to sketch things out.

Blamm Enterprises makes the best one I've seen. The data card is reusable, he includes the wax pencil. Just erase it and reuse on the next stage. The card also comes off the mount, so you detach it and write all your data on it, then put it on the rifle.

No reusing paper or sliding it in and out of a folder.

https://www.blammenterprises.com/

I have the Hawk Hill. It’s pricey but it is awesome. I just use painters tape to write on instead of the included white kydex. I repurposed the kydex to hold tape so I don’t have to carry a whole roll around.

Attachments

• photo75397.jpg
    photo75397.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
If your going that route you might want to give Fred at Bison a ring and get his synthetic paper.. a bit of rain might disassemble that home brew as might moving the rifle.. At least with the other options it is a one hand affair to reposition the cards.. working the clips and paper looks almost like a three-handed afair

Thanks! Yes, the Storm-Proof paper I sell is 100% water proof and if you want I can get it in various thickness - so if you want something to attach directly it can hold its shape better vs using it inside something like the Sidewinder etc.

Here is a link to the paper on my website:
Paper: https://www.bisontactical.com/products/synthetic-paper
Sidewinder Refill packs: https://www.bisontactical.com/products/sidewinder-refill-pack

I use the tab gear dope thing. It's made to go on your sling, but I loop it over a paracord bracelet. I'm right handed and wear it on my left hand. Works great! Use a dry erase marker right on the clear plastic piece and it wipes right off after each stage with an alcohol pad.

I started using this new product called Ballistics DOPE Card that has a leather backing and elastic straps that is very comfortable and stays in place. Very easy to write and erase your dope at each stage.
www.nwballisticsdopecard.com

Reactions: gs98
I've tried a few wrist coaches but I've settled on the Hawk Hill. I like being able to maintain my cheek weld while I view my data. If you use a Spuhr mount, they make one that attaches directly to the mount and not your rail.