• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wrong pressure and elevation on 701

fmjfirearms

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2018
Has anybody else experienced the wrong pressure and elevation data on a Garmin 701?
I have checked mine against kestrels, pro weather stations and other devices and it's always different.
Does it really matter for calculating drops?
Cheers
M

how far off,

a few points, like 29.90 vs 29.92 or 29.92 vs 28.92

Which numbers are specifically off and by how much, as that is the determining factor.

Consider DA in these devices, you round DA to the nearest 1000s of a foot, so if it reading 2080ft vs 2059ft that doesn't matter, but if one is reading 2200ft and the other is reading 2800ft that might be enough to see it at longer distances.

Details, in this case, are necessary.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply.
I have just done another check.
The 701 is saying 1015mb & 462ft
A pro weather station is saying 1007mb & 352ft.
Not sure it would matter out to 1500yds?

Cheers
Mark

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the reply.
I have just done another check.
The 701 is saying 1015mb & 462ft
A pro weather station is saying 1007mb & 352ft.
Not sure it would matter out to 1500yds?

Cheers
Mark
Mb or hpa? Where are you Located? US or Europe?

Roughly a DA difference of ~250 feet. You are good to go. That’s well within the tolerance and won’t make a difference really at any practical distance.

I can get the same deviation from a Kestrel and other similar devices. If you or your app is calculating DA then just get a solid temperature reading and start sending.

Hi
As far as I know, but stand to be corrected a 701 does does use DA.
It uses the presure reading at your location and temp with your loaded profile and location for results?

Hi
As far as I know, but stand to be corrected a 701 does does use DA.
It uses the presure reading at your location and temp with your loaded profile and location for results?
While that is what makes up DA, it doesn’t base its trajectory off DA. A given DA can be formulated using many different combinations of pressure temp and humidity.

2000 DA at 80 degrees is different than 100 degrees.