• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wrongdoing-in-police-dog-training-program

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    This exact thing happened to me the last time I drove through Kansas. Its infuriateing and absolutely nothing you can do about it. Its a credit to the honest officers who stood up to be heard. Wish there were more like them

A Reno lawyer has filed a lawsuit against current Department of Public
    Safety Director Chris Perry that alleges he ruined the state's police dog
    program by training canines to be "trick ponies" and falsely detect the
    presence of drugs on cues from handlers.

Lawyer Ken McKenna said Tuesday he filed the lawsuit in federal court in
    Reno. Perry, who oversees state law enforcement agencies, was formerly the
    chief of the Nevada Highway Patrol.

<span style="color: #CC0000"> McKenna said he represents three "honest" police officers who want the
    canine program cleaned up and Perry immediately fired.</span> By cueing dogs to
    falsely detect drugs, McKenna said Highway Patrol troopers could conduct
    illegal searches of vehicles.

"Perry destroyed the program," McKenna said. "He intentionally committed
    crimes, whether out of jealousy, a power trip or other reasons. The dogs
    now cannot even detect drugs."

Perry did not respond to a call and an email requesting comment . The
    governor's office declined comment and referred the matter to the attorney
    general's office. Representatives for the attorney general refused
    comment. Gov. Brian Sandoval hires and fires agency directors. The
    attorney general's office serves as legal adviser to Perry's department.

Perry, a former Las Vegan who graduated from the University of Nevada, Las
    Vegas, has more than 30 years of law enforcement experience. He became the
    head of the Highway Patrol in 2006 after the previous chief was fired in
    the wake of sexual harassment complaints.

When he was appointed as Highway Patrol chief, Perry promised a higher
    ethical standard for troopers.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Bringing the lawsuit are current Highway Patrol officers Matt Moonin and
    Donn Yarnall and former Los Angeles police officer Erik Lee, who ran the
    state dog training program for two years before Perry replaced him. </span>

The lawsuit also accuses Perry and other top Highway Patrol officers of
    violating the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

According to the lawsuit, former Public Safety Director Jerry Hafen sought
    to replace the existing K-9 program with one that would rank among the
    best in the country. He asked Perry, then head of the Highway Patrol, to
    create the new program. But Hafen was not satisfied with his work and
    assigned another officer to finish the program.

Perry, according to the lawsuit, told other officers he hated Hafen and
    was going to have to fix everything Hafen had messed up. After Hafen
    retired, Perry became public safety director and replaced Lee with a new
    dog trainer willing to train dogs to become "trick ponies," according to
    the lawsuit.

McKenna said Moonin and Yarnell filed complaints with supervisors over
    illegal searches and the deficiencies in the new dog training program but
    were ignored. Yarnell and Moonin were removed as canine officers but
    remain with the Highway Patrol.

Contact reporter Ed Vogel at [email protected] or 775-687-3901.

Re: wrongdoing-in-police-dog-training-program

*raised eyebrow*

Too many opinions , Too few facts.

Please show documented court cases, the "fake hit" command listed as a part of the offical training, etc.

Years ago we'd all say "yeah right" or try to dispel it by looking for proof (which you won't find), but now-days I can actually see trainers doing this as it's a perfect excuse to search anybody's car.

I saw this, and in another state too I think. There was a youtube video of a search and it was being narrated... Sure enough, the guy walked the dog around the car, THE DOG PAYING ATTENTION TO THE HANDLER AT ALL TIMES, and when they were around the side, he told him "good boy" and gave him the treat and they searched the car.

Illegally.

A dog doesn't do right or wrong, it just does. Mine will do whatever I want, whatever it takes to make me happy. Some cops, they are like dogs too. They will do whatever it takes to make their master happy.

But this disgusting shit bottomfeeder of a human DOES know right and wrong, and furthermor they understand dogs. This is unacceptable and the dog should go to a good home and the pig should rot in jail where he belongs with the other trash of society.

That uniform doesn't make you any different from a common murderer, it is your perceptions of right and wrong that do. Also, "just doing your job" doesn't cut it. Some jobs aren't worth doing no matter the compensation. Go find a reputable department to work in where you can face your family in the mornings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw this, and in another state too I think. There was a youtube video of a search and it was being narrated... Sure enough, the guy walked the dog around the car, THE DOG PAYING ATTENTION TO THE HANDLER AT ALL TIMES, and when they were around the side, he told him "good boy" and gave him the treat and they searched the car.

Illegally.

A dog doesn't do right or wrong, it just does. Mine will do whatever I want, whatever it takes to make me happy. Some cops, they are like dogs too. They will do whatever it takes to make their master happy.

But this disgusting shit bottomfeeder of a human DOES know right and wrong, and furthermor they understand dogs. This is unacceptable and the dog should go to a good home and <span style="color: #CC0000">the pig </span> should rot in jail where he belongs with the other trash of society.

That uniform doesn't make you any different from a common murderer, it is your perceptions of right and wrong that do. Also, "just doing your job" doesn't cut it. Some jobs aren't worth doing no matter the compensation. Go find a reputable department to work in where you can face your family in the mornings.</div></div>

As the OP I share your general sentiment, but I think that useing that term, especially on this forum where many LEO's are members, is disrespectful and unacceptable. Hopeing you will change it...just out of respect for the decent boys who are here, and risk their lives everyday. That means you, Slap.
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw this, and in another state too I think. There was a youtube video of a search and it was being narrated... Sure enough, the guy walked the dog around the car, THE DOG PAYING ATTENTION TO THE HANDLER AT ALL TIMES, and when they were around the side, he told him "good boy" and gave him the treat and they searched the car.

Illegally.

But this disgusting shit bottomfeeder of a human DOES know right and wrong, and furthermor they understand dogs. This is unacceptable and the dog should go to a good home and <span style="color: #CC0000">the pig </span> should rot in jail where he belongs with the other trash of society.

That uniform doesn't make you any different from a common murderer, it is your perceptions of right and wrong that do. Also, "just doing your job" doesn't cut it. Some jobs aren't worth doing no matter the compensation. Go find a reputable department to work in where you can face your family in the mornings.</div></div>

As the OP I share your general sentiment, but I think that useing that term, especially on this forum where many LEO's are members, is disrespectful and unacceptable. Hopeing you will change it...just out of respect for the decent boys who are here, and risk their lives everyday. That means you, Slap.
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

Eh, I think it's a well suited use of the derogatory slang, assuming the allegations are accurate. He didn't say LEO's in general are pigs- he was speaking of one specific officer in reference to some exceedingly dirty and unconstitutional actions.

<--- Has a couple of questions:

- The gist of the article is that somehow the head paper pusher has the time to purposefully train dogs to entrap people. That doesn't make a lot sense to me - that he has that kind of time.

- Does LE do the initial training for their pooches? Or is it done by a 3rd party and then on going training is done by individual LEOs?

- Anyone know the job status of the 3 'honest' LEOs just immediately prior to the filing of the suit?

Good luck

Mo_Zam_Beek it's not that the trainer purposefully trains dogs to entrap people, it's that the training system allows for it to happen. The handlers are able to cue their dogs into alerting when, in fact, no drugs are present.

The "outside agencies" in this lawsuit (other than the NHP) use in-house trainers. Some of them have outside businesses where they sell dogs. Some of them sell dogs to their own departments, an obvious conflict of interest.

The NHP had an outside contractor who did the initial training and he trained two handlers to be in-house trainers.

Both of the NHP officers had resigned as K-9 handlers. They were not "removed" as the story states. They were still on the job as troopers. The contractor has moved on to other contracts.