• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wsm q's

prekarious

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
New to the whole wsm thing and on an impulse buy bought the rifle. Savage 7mm WSM. Now looking at components and everything else has me scratching my head just a bit. For case trimming I can use the pilot for the other wsm's as none seem to be designated for the 7. Have found norma brass for the 270 and 300s but not for the 7. With the 7 having the longest shoulder length not sure if I can put it in my dies and resize to fit my chamber or am I stuck with winchester brass?

Re: wsm q's

Got that much, main question is about brass availabilty. Can I size something else to fit or is win brass my only option

Unless you want to fireform all your brass, your stuck with Winchester.

Just do a full prep with a light turning of the neck and you'll be fine.

I believe that there are other threads that talk about 7mm/300 WSMs. So I believe that you can neck down 300 WSM. I am going to keep an eye on this as I'm planning to build a 7 WSM hunting rifle.

A true 7 WSM chamber is not the same dimensions as simply necking 300 WSM brass down to 7mm (the 300 WSM and the 270 WSM are the same length, if memory serves) . They are different lengths. You should buy and use 7 WSM brass for your 7 WSM.

Lots of folks use a 7/300WSM wildcat chamber, and there are numerous threads about it. Yes the brass choices for 300 are better, but you can certainly get acceptable performance from Winchester brass for a true 7WSM - you just need to prep and sort the brass to do so.

Jeffvn

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you want to fireform all your brass, your stuck with Winchester.

Just do a full prep with a light turning of the neck and you'll be fine. </div></div>

WORD