• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTB 6XCII die

wvlapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Looking to purchase a FL bushing die for 6xcII.

Whitley is the only source I know of, but has yet to return my calls.

I was expecting 6xc standard as well. Then I was putting BA back in my mpa chassis and saw the 6xc II on the barrel. I emailed my smith and he said the II was better because it prevented the sticky bolt lift the standard is known to have. I have already purchased a whidden 6xc set of dies. He did say the alpha brass is sized as 6xcII. Ive got 300 cases to fire form so hopefully Ill find a 6xcII redding S by then.

PVA did my barrel I just replaced. Lets just say my smith showed me a video of him removing the barrel from the action and there was a ton of play. Im not totally convinced of PVA’s worksmanship now. I sent my action to them to barrel up and the tolerances should be better than that.

Others with 6xcII say they use the Whidden die without issue. I'd run a few pieces through it and see what it sizes the case web to. I'm sure it will be fine with virgin brass.

My Tubb die didn't touch the body on unfired Norma brass. But sized the web area too much on fired brass. It took it from .472 to .468. measurements taken right next to the extractor groove.

At this point I may just buy a neck sizer and run it until the bolt becomes hard to close.

Redding won't even sell one. They said, unfortunately you have to go through Whitley.

6xcII would become more popular if components were more readily available. I just wish I had known it would be a II before I bought the Tubb dies and fireformed 50 cases.

Last edited:
A few points to consider.
New brass should be smaller than the full length resize die - so a full length resize die will not make a new case any smaller.
The fact that the TUBB die resizes your fired case from .472 to .468 indicates you either are using a set of dial calipers to measure (use a micrometer) and or whoever chamber you rifle didn't do so well (SLOPPY CHAMBER)
The TUBB die adequately small bases your fired piece of brass which will only make it shoot better groups and your bolt open easily.
Also I have yet to encounter a piece of brass which was small based each and every time and failed at the web because of this .
The reason the a piece of brass fails at the web is because the body of the case is being overly stretched (when fired) and then full length resized based on too short of a headspace measurement.

A few points to consider.
New brass should be smaller than the full length resize die - so a full length resize die will not make a new case any smaller.
The fact that the TUBB die resizes your fired case from .472 to .468 indicates you either are using a set of dial calipers to measure (use a micrometer) and or whoever chamber you rifle didn't do so well (SLOPPY CHAMBER)
The TUBB die adequately small bases your fired piece of brass which will only make it shoot better groups and your bolt open easily.
Also I have yet to encounter a piece of brass which was small based each and every time and failed at the web because of this .
The reason the a piece of brass fails at the web is because the body of the case is being overly stretched (when fired) and then full length resized based on too short of a headspace measurement.

Yes, using calipers. My chamber is a 6xcII. Measured .200 up from the extractor groove it is .471 on fired cases. I'll check the resized pieces when I get home tonight. Pretty sure they came out of the die .468 although, that was taken right next to to groove.