• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories WTB Tikka Proof Carbon .284 blank (help finding would be great)

Mxracer532

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
WA State
After all my issues with the smith that just finished my carbon 7SAUM I am headed back 3.5hrs to have it tore back apart and get a refund. So I am need of a Proof barrel ASAP. This rifle was to be my backup plan for my once in a lifetime Washington State Bull moose tag in October. I know it's a loooooong shot but let me know. Thanks.

You use a throating reamer to cut only the throat deeper.
Time not included, how much would you guess it costs to send a blank and fit it up at the smith with threads on both ends vs buying a prefit and getting the throat reamed deeper to new specs? Not looking for a price quote, just which would be most expensivr? And is there a risk the chamber wont be symmetrical after all is said and done?

If you send a blank to a smith with a dummy round And want that to be touching, he’s probably going to use a standard reamer and a separate throater he’s not going to order a custom reamer for your rifle and wait 4 months to get it so it sits on the shelf never to be used again. So you can probably bet you’re going to be quoted the cost of that operation in the price you get. If you buy a prefit and save a couple hundred bucks you’re looking at $60 or so shipping round trip plus $50-100+ for the throating. Or you could buy a PTG unithroater kit for <$200 and do it yourself and on every prefit you ever get again.

If you send a blank to a smith with a dummy round And want that to be touching, he’s probably going to use a standard reamer and a separate throater he’s not going to order a custom reamer for your rifle and wait 4 months to get it so it sits on the shelf never to be used again. So you can probably bet you’re going to be quoted the cost of that operation in the price you get. If you buy a prefit and save a couple hundred bucks you’re looking at $60 or so shipping round trip plus $50-100+ for the throating. Or you could buy a PTG unithroater kit for <$200 and do it yourself and on every prefit you ever get again.

Ok, I'm going to do everything I can to find a prefit.
Thanks for all your help man.

Straightjacket also does the Sherman prefits, I tell you the 7 Sherman Short Mag is amazing, even fireforming from Saum brass.

Love the 7 magnums, SAUM or Sherman.

LRI and PVA might be others to do a prefit.

Reactions: Mxracer532