• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTF Happened To My Brass??

Birddog1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Peyton, Colorado, USA
I got a bunch of brass for free today. A little over 200 30-06 and .308 once fired. I, let's face it, foolishly dumped all of it into my RCBS vibratory cleaner, and a bunch of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">old</span></span> corn cob media, because it was all that I had on hand. Let it run for about 3 hours, and when I checked it, I couldn't believe what I saw. The brass looks worse now than ever! Much of it was fairly bright and shiny. Now, all of it is dull grey, and almost looks as if it is pitted! What the hell happened, and can I fix it? I plan to get some walnut media as soon as I can get out from the blizzard.

Re: WTF Happened To My Brass??

WTF!! what did you treat your corn cob with?

sounds like you added something to the media that was ammonia based....... dryer sheet, perhaps?

thus, the reason the gun room is sealed when my wifes cats are out. The orange cat (she calls it a calico) likes to plot and stare at my Prometheus. I suspect it is the culprit of eating several of my discount certificates from a few competitions. I shall harvest it's soul.

Alright, so do ya'll think that fresh walnut or cob media will fix the problem? I don't know how one of the cats got into the garage to piss on the old media, but I guess anything is possible.

You might revive it, put a picture of the brass up.

If it's really pitted, and this should be determined after you put it through new media to clean it up, then it's scrap weight brass, use it to offset the cost of some new stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thus, the reason the gun room is sealed when my wifes cats are out. The orange cat (she calls it a calico) likes to plot and stare at my Prometheus. I suspect it is the culprit of eating several of my discount certificates from a few competitions. I shall harvest it's soul. </div></div>

Cats don't have a soul, they are the devil incarnate!

you should add some brass polish to you media, it will shine them up pretty good, not to much though , or it will gunk up inside your cases.

Just a half a cap of brasso and I have factory new looking brass in no time...

I only have one solution for cats though, you probably know what that is.

V/R,
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thus, the reason the gun room is sealed when my wifes cats are out. The orange cat (she calls it a calico) likes to plot and stare at my Prometheus. I suspect it is the culprit of eating several of my discount certificates from a few competitions. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"> I shall harvest it's soul.</span> </span> </div></div>

LMFAO! coffee on the keyboard, thanks CKA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thus, the reason the gun room is sealed when my wifes cats are out. The orange cat (she calls it a calico) likes to plot and stare at my Prometheus. I suspect it is the culprit of eating several of my discount certificates from a few competitions. I shall harvest it's soul. </div></div>

The other white meat. They are great with green peppers, mushrooms, and wild rice. All saute'd with a Thai sauce.

Cats are for barns.

CAT= THE REASON CHINESE TAKE-OUT IS SO GOOD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CAT= THE REASON CHINESE TAKE-OUT IS SO GOOD </div></div>

You sir, owe me a new keyboard! I really shouldnt open a new thread as Im sipping my coffee.

For tips in the harvesting of said soul please refer to this thread for tips:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1704799&gonew=1#UNREAD

Old oxidized case lube remnants in the media can do that.

SOMETIMES a big shot of carb cleaner from about 4 feet back while the tumbler is running will help reduce or even fully remove it. Spray slowly and don't get scared by it looking a little...like a cat just pissed in it for a short while. Put the lid on and go for a half-hour or so.

On the Brasso suggestion, my cautious nature says add a bit of water to it in an open container and let the ammonia "breathe" off for a minimum of 4 hours first. The small quantity might not attack the brass, but if it does the consequences could be pretty bad. Meguire's car polish might do just as well.

" I shall harvest it's soul. "

Or its.
laugh.gif

I talk pretty tough about my wife's cats too. A warning to bachelors: Any woman who owns a one cat is suspect. Any woman who owns more than one cat is not marriage material. If shortly after you are married, she wants to get a cat, say no! I wish I had. We will never get another, but it has been hell waiting for the two we've got to die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I talk pretty tough about my wife's cats too. A warning to bachelors: Any woman who owns a one cat is suspect. Any woman who owns more than one cat is not marriage material. If shortly after you are married, she wants to get a cat, say no! I wish I had. We will never get another, but it has been hell waiting for the two we've got to die. </div></div>

Mine's allergic to them, if she wasn't she'd probably have one. One dog is enough for us though, which is fine with me.

There's lots of ways to speed up those cats, but if you're interested in staying married it might not be a good idea in case she ever finds out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I talk pretty tough about my wife's cats too. A warning to bachelors: Any woman who owns a one cat is suspect. Any woman who owns more than one cat is not marriage material. If shortly after you are married, she wants to get a cat, say no! I wish I had. We will never get another, but it has been hell waiting for the two we've got to die. </div></div>

Mine's allergic to them, if she wasn't she'd probably have one. One dog is enough for us though, which is fine with me.

There's lots of ways to speed up those cats, but if you're interested in staying married it might not be a good idea in case she ever finds out. </div></div>

I'm the one that is alleric. Didn't find out till they were too precious to part with. We are expecting #2 child in a couple months. The cats will be gone when she gets home from the hospital. I figure she'll be distracted and I won't be getting any for quite a while anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pussy tends to mess a lot of things up.

Branden </div></div>
Amen brother!

I've got two cats that made themselves at home, neighbors used to bitch but now my cat is so fat she can't climb thefence - but I have ZERO groundhogs, moles, none of that crap and his yard looks like a WW1 battle zone.

They have their place...:)

+1 on the brasso - I have the dillon precision stuff but it smells the same, acts the same.