• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wtf happened to my rifle?

treymchattie

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Keller, Tx
i took off my muzzle brake for the first time since it was installed 3 months ago on my SPS AAC-SD, and was greeted by a good fun bit of corrosion. i have been using Sweets 7.62 to clean my gun, the bore looks fine. i guess running a few dry patches through wasnt enough, and some of it got into the space between the end of my threads and my brake.

this is partially a question, and partially a warning.

the question part is, what is the best way to remove this corrosion? there is quite a bit of it that has built up, i mean it actually looks like the last bit of my barrel broke off, but i know this to not be true. i can see it has built up on the factory crown.

sorry for the crappy picture!
xcj348.jpg

Re: wtf happened to my rifle?

Are you sure it is corrosion? It looks like carbon build up to me. I'm not really sure how to remove that much. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Hard to tell from the picture but that appears to be carbon build up.

i sure do hope its carbon build up, but i cant just scrape it with my nail. gun has probably had 200 rounds through it with the brake installed. cleaned every 40 rounds or so (every time i shoot it).

guess i will be removing my brake every time i clean it now!

You can get alot of fouling inside a brake. It builds up pretty well in there. Are you saying the metal of the barrel is actually eating away or is it just normal carbon/powder fouling build up from the brake?

As for the Sweets, that's pretty tough stuff. Unless you need it and have a super heavy coppering bore then i would suggest something a little lighter like Butch's Bore Shine or Shooter's Choice.

tried a dental pick, but a razor blade is what did the trick. it was just carbon. i guess i just assumed it was corrosion since i live right across the street from the pacific ocean and EVERYTHING corrodes. you should see my Lee dies.....

yea rob, gunna drop the sweets. you know it might be a tad strong when i open the bottle and the cat will not enter the room.

thanks guys

That's still pretty crazy to see.

I don't yet have an AAC-SD, but this is the rifle I've got my eyes on. I'll have to keep this thread in mind. I'm wondering how many others AAC-SD owners also haven't removed the break with each and every cleaning. I guess I can't say that I would've either... now I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treymchattie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i sure do hope its carbon build up, but i cant just scrape it with my nail. gun has probably had 200 rounds through it with the brake installed. cleaned every 40 rounds or so (every time i shoot it).

guess i will be removing my brake every time i clean it now! </div></div>

You are using to harsh of a chemical to often. Stop cleaning so much.

put some butches bore shine in a shot glass. soak the end of the barrel in it for a few days. scrub with brush.

just put your cleaner of choice on a rag or tooth brush it comes off pretty easy,dont over think it and use a jackhammer or anything,if you think the above pic looks bad,you should take the brake or flashider off of an ar sometime

haha thanks for all the input guys, ill definitely rethink my cleaning situation.

i got most of it off with a razor blade, followed by a cleaning with a plastic brush i had laying around in my dremel kit. looks like the day it came off the lathe. i can see the tool marks and all. i guess naval aviation has taught me to FREAK THE FUCK OUT at the first sign of corrosion, thank goodness it wasnt the case.

i like gunzilla to clean my guns. just soak it with that overnite and clean it with a brush. gunzilla is 100 percent non toxic and made with plants. i like it cuz if my dogs get into the loading room and eat the patches the dont get sick. butches is an excellent product as well but lets not forget hoppes #9 it worked for our grandfathers and still worx today

0000 steel wool maybe? I stopped using Sweets, it works fine but the smell isnt very pleasant, Butch's Bore shine for me, 2-3 wet patches followed by a few wet brush strokes, followed by a wet patch of kroil, then a patch of Militec-1, and a dry patch.

A muzzel brake will cause heavy carbon build up on a perfectly good crown near every time. I've find it to be normal and a pain in the ass. Supressor cans are worse, as I have been told.

I thread off my brake about every 80 to 100 rounds and soak the chunks of near diamond hard carbon build up on the crown with "Carb Out". I let it soak over night. Most of the carbon will wipe off with a patch and the rest of the stubborn stuff I get off with a ScothBright pad. Works good and doesn't take alot of effort. Thread the brake back on making sure not to not to over tighten the brake to the barrel. Just snug it up to make sure the brake timing is exactly back to where it was.

Also, I quit using Sweets 7.62 and use "Wipe Out" bore cleaner. I let it soak over night too. They say you don't need to use a bore brush but I do use a nylon brush and scrub the bore before I patch it dry. The stuff works good for me and I've been using it regularly for 2 years now. I soak the brake in "Wipe Out" over night as well. Really gets the ports and inside of the brake clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for Boretech? </div></div>

Boretech is the shizznit. Love their cleaning line. I use the Carbon Solvent when cleaning excess carbon from my brake. Apply let it soak in, boom carbon gone. Super safe on the rifle.

I took my break and blackout off my rifles in the past and have seen the same thing. I just take a brush and break the carbon off. They leave a little room between the break and muzzle, and i'm not certain why, because it just builds up with crap. Just clean it every few years and you'll be fine.

xdeano

Was your rifle shooting poorly?

I've shot thousands & thousands of rounds, never cleaning the brake. Carbon builds up to a point, reaches equilibrium and the rest gets blown out. As long as the rifle shoots good, it's of no concern to me what the brake or muzzle looks like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was your rifle shooting poorly?

I've shot thousands & thousands of rounds, never cleaning the brake. Carbon builds up to a point, reaches equilibrium and the rest gets blown out. As long as the rifle shoots good, it's of no concern to me what the brake or muzzle looks like. </div></div>

In my case after about 100 rounds it shoots like shit. Real bad. Dope is not good anymore. POI is all over the target. Cleaning crown off puts my rifle back to where it is dead on and the dope works.

Get that same buildup under my cans wen I remove them, which is almost never. Haven t seen it effect anything but I do clean it off.

P.S I don't follow quite the cleaning Regime as others here, when groups open I clean, which often goes many, many hundreds of rounds. My TRG has over 4K with this method and groups are as tight as the day I did the load development. When I DO unscrew the can,carbon is way worse than your Picture.