• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTF is up with Federal 45ACP Brass!!!

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
So I'm just getting into reloading Pistol Calibers. Started with 45ACP. Got Large Pistol Primers. Picked up a bunch of brass the last time I was at the range. Jackpot! Right? WRONG!!! I discovered the hard way that Federal Brass uses SMALL Pistol Primers. I'm going to sound like an Idiot here but I just spent about an Hour trying to figure out why my Progressive Press won't put Large Pistol Primers into Small Pistol Primer Pockets? Went so far as to take the press apart and clean it. Even had one go off on me when I got so frustrated that I pushed it a little harder than I should have. I'm sure this has been covered but I figure it's never bad to bring up things like this every once in a while. Some of us don't dig very deep when we're researching "How-to's"

Re: WTF is up with Federal 45ACP Brass!!!

Yep!

This comes up about twice per month.

Sorry to hear you detonated a primer forcing something you shouldn't have.

Other headstamps with small primers:

Win NT
Blazer brass
Speer (not all)

Some of us pitch 'em, some recycle, some keep separate to load for "lost brass" shoots.

All of us watch what we're picking up at the range.

Develop "the feel" so you'll know immediately whats going on when you atteto prime one with a large primer.

Thanks for the heads up on some of the other brands. My reloading manuals are relatively old and I understand this is a relatively new development. I'll be chuckin' the Federal Brass in the garbage from now on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm just getting into reloading Pistol Calibers. Started with 45ACP. Got Large Pistol Primers. Picked up a bunch of brass the last time I was at the range. Jackpot! Right? WRONG!!! I discovered the hard way that Federal Brass uses SMALL Pistol Primers. I'm going to sound like an Idiot here but I just spent about an Hour trying to figure out why my Progressive Press won't put Large Pistol Primers into Small Pistol Primer Pockets? Went so far as to take the press apart and clean it. Even had one go off on me when I got so frustrated that I pushed it a little harder than I should have. I'm sure this has been covered but I figure it's never bad to bring up things like this every once in a while. Some of us don't dig very deep when we're researching "How-to's" </div></div>

Not only does it copme up, your post looks almost word for word like the last instance of this. I don't think you want me to give you word for word what I told the last guy. I will say this, if you spent an hour figuring this out you have no business with a progressive press. Go back to the begining, do not pass Go and do not collect $200. Learn some basics. Even a kid can figure out a large primer will not go in a small primer pocket in about 5 seconds. Don't mean to be mean but there are lots of folks that did not learn the basics before they took flight.

Nothing wrong with the brass. Start a bin, bag, or shoebox for it. When you get four or five hundred load em up.

A good rule for reloading...

NEVER FORCE ANYTHING!!

Youll only break somethin or blow it up.

Some Federal brass uses small primers. Some use large primers. Federal American Eagle brass uses large primers. Federal Champion (I think) uses small primers.

Glad the primer detonation didn't cause any injury.
If this happened to me a year ago before reading about it in another forum, I would have done the same thing as you. Not being informed, or lack of experience doesn't make one a dumbass.
I had the same train wreck when I encountered crimped .223 brass years ago.
As far as your manuals go, the Hornady 8th edition is the newest I know of and there is no mention of small primers for 45acp.
But I have some advice, unless you watch someone take ammo from new factory boxes, and shoot it, picking up range brass should be a no-no. When I walk away from my brass, there is a reason, I consider it unsafe or unusable. I hope someone takes this statement into consideration.

Just handed my 12 year old 2 empties deprimed. I told her to spot the difference. She spotted it in 14.6 seconds, but then she is a pretty bright kid. We are headed to the gunshow, I don't have time for nonsense this morning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm just getting into reloading Pistol Calibers. Started with 45ACP. Got Large Pistol Primers. Picked up a bunch of brass the last time I was at the range. Jackpot! Right? WRONG!!! I discovered the hard way that Federal Brass uses SMALL Pistol Primers. I'm going to sound like an Idiot here but I just spent about an Hour trying to figure out why my Progressive Press won't put Large Pistol Primers into Small Pistol Primer Pockets? Went so far as to take the press apart and clean it. Even had one go off on me when I got so frustrated that I pushed it a little harder than I should have. I'm sure this has been covered but I figure it's never bad to bring up things like this every once in a while. Some of us don't dig very deep when we're researching "How-to's" </div></div>

Not only does it copme up, your post looks almost word for word like the last instance of this. I don't think you want me to give you word for word what I told the last guy. I will say this, if you spent an hour figuring this out you have no business with a progressive press. <span style="color: #FF0000">Go back to the begining, do not pass Go and do not collect $200.</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">Learn some basics. Even a kid can figure out a large primer will not go in a small primer pocket in about 5 seconds. </span>Don't mean to be mean but there are lots of folks that did not learn the basics before they took flight. </div></div>
With all due respect... ( which really isn't much after those statements)... I don't really care what you told the last guy
smile.gif
I've been reloading long enough to know the basics. Of course anyone can figure out a large primer will not go in a small primer pocket if there's a reason to suspect that. But when every printed manual about reloading that I've seen, and even much of what I've read online, states that 45ACP uses Large Pistol Primers... Why should I suspect the primer pocket on SOME 45ACP Brass uses Small Pistol Primers? There's no need to be condescending about it. I would have appreciated seeing a thread like this ahead of time so I'm just bringing it up as a courtesy to anyone else who might not know this.

First rule of thumb in reloading, never assume anything, even if the so called "expert reloading books" say so. I bet the books don't talk about small primer Lapua or Palma brass for rifles either. They are only a guideline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all due respect... ( which really isn't much after those statements)... I don't really care what you told the last guy
smile.gif
I've been reloading long enough to know the basics. Of course anyone can figure out a large primer will not go in a small primer pocket if there's a reason to suspect that. But when every printed manual about reloading that I've seen, and even much of what I've read online, states that 45ACP uses Large Pistol Primers... Why should I suspect the primer pocket on SOME 45ACP Brass uses Small Pistol Primers? There's no need to be condescending about it. I would have appreciated seeing a thread like this ahead of time so I'm just bringing it up as a courtesy to anyone else who might not know this. </div></div>

Assumption is the mother of all f##k ups.

The same reloading manuals specify which brass they are using and several warnings to inspect your components.

Obviously you are experienced in handloading. Would you assume that a .308 case is a large rifle primer with out looking? At least three companies sell it. Your rifle experience applies to pistol loading. Wait umtil you hit a crimped pistol primer.

This is one reason I'm content with my Dillon SDB and haven't upgraded to a 650 with casefeeder. I inspect each case for two things prior to placing them into the shellplate; I look at what size the primer is and look into the casing to see if there is any debris left over that cleaning hasn't gotten rid of. I buy all my 45ACP brass from online vendors and have found some of this brass to have paper stuck inside them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all due respect... ( which really isn't much after those statements)... I don't really care what you told the last guy
smile.gif
I've been reloading long enough to know the basics. Of course anyone can figure out a large primer will not go in a small primer pocket if there's a reason to suspect that. But when every printed manual about reloading that I've seen, and even much of what I've read online, states that 45ACP uses Large Pistol Primers... Why should I suspect the primer pocket on SOME 45ACP Brass uses Small Pistol Primers? There's no need to be condescending about it. I would have appreciated seeing a thread like this ahead of time so I'm just bringing it up as a courtesy to anyone else who might not know this. </div></div>

Assumption is the mother of all f##k ups.

The same reloading manuals specify which brass they are using and several warnings to inspect your components.

Obviously you are experienced in handloading. Would you assume that a .308 case is a large rifle primer with out looking? At least three companies sell it. Your rifle experience applies to pistol loading. Wait umtil you hit a crimped pistol primer. </div></div>
Good points! Funny thing is since 45ACP is such a staple I figured "why would anyone change it?" I actually do inspect each piece of brass for how clean it is, the length and signs of unsafe damage. But in the case of 45ACP I would have NEVER thought the primer pockets were different sizes. I thought there were standards that every case manufacturer was required to stick to. I guess primer pocket size isn't one of them. When I first realized the primer pockets were a different size I actually thought they were either defective or were something other than 45ACP.
This was picked up brass and I'm not in the habit of using picked up brass but I figured 45 is relatively easy on brass and you can see everything because of the dimensions. I never use picked up brass on my .308 because .308 brass withstands much higher pressure and you never know how abused it could be.

...LESSON LEARNED!

There is nothing wrong with small primer 45 ACP. I have lots of both breeds and never have a problem. I did not know they existed until I bought a box and opened it up to load my mags. If you are going to pick up brass you need to be very careful to inspect it carefully, not just a glancing look. If you are going to leave your brass on the range and you know it has seen its better days, PLEASE, don't be a range slob. Pick up your tired brass and put it in a recycle bucket. I hate fucking range slobs. Maybe because I put 100+ hours a year cutting grass, cleaning up the line, setting up and running matches, pulling down wet targets and generally cleaning up behind these pigs.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE post a sticky warning everyone that 45 brass exists in small and large pocket configurations! If I knew how it would be there already.

I'm still trying to understand how it takes an hour, and detonated primers to discover this.

I was a noob at one point. I went to prime some range pickup 45. The lever was hard to push. I wiggled the case in the shellholder and tried again - no dice. I pulled the case out to look at the pocket and thought "gee, that looks small - I can even see the shiny ring around the pocket, where the primer is hitting...is this pocket too small?" I grabbed my caliper and measured. Yep, too small!

Total elapsed time from fail-to-prime to enlightenment? 2 minutes
Accidental Primer Discharges? Zero

Armor: Maybe that sticky should include a point about crimped primers too? About once a month, someone posts pictures of failed priming attempts on crimped brass, wondering whats wrong - usually mentioning some accidental primer discharges as well.

The ApD is generally not much of a safety concern, until you've got a Dillon 650, which are known for sympathetic detonations that travel back to the magazine and touch off the entire stack.

I know... It sounds like I'm a real knucklehead and I probably am! The one that went off was one of the first ones that I ran across. I just pushed a little too hard. It probably also wasn't quite an hour but it certainly seemed like it. I was so convinced that there could only be large pistol primers in 45ACP that before I even suspected the primer pockets I went through all kinds of contortions. I thought my shell plate alignment was off so I worked on that for a few minutes. I thought the press must be dirty so I took it completely apart and cleaned it. It was only when I happened to look at 2 shells that were next to each other that I realized they were different. Even then I thought the smaller one was either defective or some other caliber. I know... Pretty damn dense!

Once again... Lesson Learned!

I guess we learn something new every day? I did not know Federal was using small pistol primers in 45ACP? Some previous 308 had small rifle primer pockets, since discontinued, as I understand? I'd never pick up range brass unless it was in the original carton and was obviously factory loads and used in revolvers, (like 44Mag & 357) but one that I will pick up is 45; my own.

However, getting to the point, which doesn't mean much to a Dillon operator, (I guess?) is I use a hand priming tool for everything. Kind of jarring for the speed freaks, but I would think you would realize the error right away without disassembling a press? But, I'm not a big volume shooter, I concentrate on producing stuff unavailable from the factories. BB

Take it as a learning experience.

The lesson?

WHENEVER you're working with or using high-speed flammables and combustibles and encounter a stoppage or unanticipated problem, STOP, and don't continue until you've isolated and identified the problem.

We are all guilty of this kind of thing!

I recently had a close call with an uncharged 308 case, where the primer aline launched the bullet into tge throat. With ears on, I heard NO bang, just a click...I figured I hadnt loaded a fresh cartridge - merely recocked my rifle after firing. Ejection of an empty case "confirmed" (WRONGLY) that suspicion. Luckily, my next cartridge wouldn't go into batrery (luckily not even close). Had the bullet been deeper in the barrel, I would have blown up my rifle and most likely damaged/killed myself.

Wake up call! Pay attention!

The thing is, the small primer 45acp has been around for more than a couple years now. I'da thought everyone had gotten the word by now, it is a bit surprising it hasn't shown up in any of the manuals yet.

The reason they f'd with the hundred year old standard was/is to be "greener" don't want anything being exposed to any of that life threatening lead. You know one of the most common and abundant naturally occuring minerals on earth.

Well thanks for the info. Just getting into the 45 Auto reloading and my Son had been given some 45 Brass FED (600 rds) and it has the small primer. Question is ??? What primers do i use. Rem 1 1/2 or 5 1/2 or Fed 100 or 200 I have all of them. Gun is a 4506 S&W 230 JHP. Whats a good powder? Thanks for any help. PS you can send me any you don't want, i'll pay shipping

This actually works out really well for me, the small vs large primers in 45. I have another guy at the range that jumps for 45 brass, he's only interested in large primers (he's got a local dealer who buys large primer pocket 45 brass for something like 5 cents a shell). So I give him all of my large primer 45 brass, and he gives me all the small primer 45 brass, and I only load up small primer 45 brass now. As for xp100's question- I use CCI #500 with Universal Powder- Universal is a great all around pistol powder- especially if you want to go one powder for all pistol calibers (Its "Universal" haha.)

<span style="font-style: italic">"Even had one go off on me when I got so frustrated that I pushed it a little harder than I should have. >>> <span style="text-decoration: underline">... when every printed manual about reloading that I've seen, and even much of what I've read online, states that 45ACP uses Large Pistol Primers...Why should I suspect the primer pocket on SOME 45ACP Brass uses Small Pistol Primers?</span> </span>"

Perhaps immediately when it became obvious something was different when it became difficult/impossible to seat the primer? And, as a caution for the future, our manuals can't possibly spoon feed us for every potential variation in components in detail, no matter what book we read some things still fall under our own responsiblity.

This was enlightening! I haven't loaded 45apc in 25 years and had no idea about this. thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good rule for reloading...

NEVER FORCE ANYTHING!!

Youll only break somethin or blow it up. </div></div>

The funny thing is, this truly is the first rule I give any novice.

I gave the rule to a buddy and then when a pistol primer somehow got sideways, he forced it and the whole stack in the primer tube detonated. Scared the living hell out of him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"Even had one go off on me when I got so frustrated that I pushed it a little harder than I should have. >>> <span style="text-decoration: underline">... when every printed manual about reloading that I've seen, and even much of what I've read online, states that 45ACP uses Large Pistol Primers...Why should I suspect the primer pocket on SOME 45ACP Brass uses Small Pistol Primers?</span> </span>"

Perhaps immediately when it became obvious something was different when it became difficult/impossible to seat the primer? And, as a caution for the future, our manuals can't possibly spoon feed us for every potential variation in components in detail, no matter what book we read some things still fall under our own responsiblity. </div></div>
OK... I know it looks like I'm not taking reloading seriously enough, but that's really not the case. I'm using a relatively inexpensive Lee Pro 1000 progressive press and I think anyone who uses one can tell you they can be finicky. Indexing has been an issue a few times and that's what I initially thought the problem was. The one that went off on me was kind of a shock because it wasn't like I was putting all my weight into it... And I wasn't banging it or anything. I just pushed a little harder after I made sure it was lined up properly and... BANG! I've noticed that powder often somehow spills onto the top of the part that seats the primer. I have to brush it off before almost every primer gets seated or it leaves dents in the primers. I'm thinking that was what set off the one.
Oh, and for the record... Although its a progressive press I feed it brass one-at-a-time and go all the way through before the next shell.
... And as far as manuals "spoon feeding" us... I agree wholeheartedly. But I never expected physical dimensions to be subject to change. It's the same as if you were to find out that some shells marked 45ACP were actually 40 Caliber... Just because.

The small .45 ACP primer/pocket was originally used for the leadsafe ammunition and actually has been around for several years. Now you know it exists it should be easy to find and sort out. In fact I would venture to guess that most of us have learned about it the way you have except for the "detonation" part. I've crunched a few but never had that happen..............yet.