WTF just blew up in Lebanon??

MtnCreek

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 6, 2012
Supposedly a fireworks factory. Pretty damn impressive.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
Gulf Coast, FL
Supposedly a fireworks factory. Pretty damn impressive.
That’s what some are saying but no fucking way. Firework factories have blown up before and they don’t go boom like that.

Being at a port in the capital city and they’re not an exporter of fireworks (at least to my knowledge) I’m betting that’s a cover for the building. My money is on mil storage site either catching on fire or getting hit and something cooking off.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
That’s what some are saying but no fucking way. Firework factories have blown up before and they don’t go boom like that.

Being at a port in the capital city and they’re not an exporter of fireworks (at least to my knowledge) I’m betting that’s a cover for the building. My money is on mil storage site either catching on fire or getting hit and something cooking off.
Another democrat gun running operation to the jihadis gone bad?

Basher

I fly stuff and I know things.
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Dec 13, 2004
Chandler AZ, USA
What the hell is with all the hackjob edited videos?? Why are they all five seconds or shorter, is that all Twitter allows??

Reactions: supercorndogs

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
That big white building is not a hotel, it’s a grain elevator.

Yep just saw this picture

1596560524878.png

Aerosolized solids can blow up "hugely".

Just have to get the perfect air fuel combination and some sort of ignition........boom.

But those containers look intact while everything else looks like shit......wait this might have been a photo of Beirut from a week ago.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Considering that Iran has been having a wave of "unexplained" fires and explosions taking out like all kinds of stuff while the world is worried about Covid19 or whatever, it isn't much of a stretch to think that quite possibly Israel may be making sure the arms network to the local "freedom fighters" suffers a significant "outage".

Mordamer

Professional Know It All
Belligerents
May 11, 2010
Hooker, OK
My money is on Amonium Nitrate fertilizer storage on site.

Many of the largest man made non-nuclear explosions in world history have been from Amonium Nitrate and this explosion will make it on that list. It's an interesting list on Wikipedia if you want some reading material.

navynambu

Peace, if we can manage it.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
Anasazi Land
They use magnesium in fireworks, and as you know it burn fast and white hot!!

I'm seeing a lot of white in the secondary, white sparks that disappear fast.

I'm guessing they had a shitload of magnesium all stored in one place, and that went up all at once.

Thank gods they weren't in the arms business, they could have been quite dangerous!

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
New England Yankee

I'm guessing they had a shitload of magnesium all stored in one place, and that went up all at once.

Thank gods they weren't in the arms business, they could have been quite dangerous!
Never seen Magnesium explode....burn yes but not explode. Even when confined, you would need to propagate that flame front much faster than possible to create that kind of pressure blast

That definitely appears to be an aerosol type of boom. Lots of gas and particles ignite at once in a large but confined area. However, even that is a bit much. The one video that really shows the pressure waves over the water is hinting at something non-accidental. Plus look at the damage in that one photo. Containers are strewn and cranes are utterly destroyed. That blast wave was BIG, BIG, BIG

abn31c

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Grain elevator storing ingredients for weapons my guess.....oh ya , ahem, fireworks.

Reactions: hseII

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Belligerents
Jan 15, 2005
Gulf Coast, FL

The issue is that Lebanon is not a fireworks exporter, literally nothing comes up for them exporting fireworks. So why would they have this material to make fireworks sitting at a port if they weren’t manufacturing them and exporting them. They wouldn’t.

If they were importing them at the port for events I don’t see why they would be storing them on site at the port, let alone have a facility just for that. It just doesn’t make sense.

That’s why I don’t believe the fireworks story. It doesn’t add up.

lariat

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Never seen Magnesium explode....burn yes but not explode. Even when confined, you would need to propagate that flame front much faster than possible to create that kind of pressure blast

That definitely appears to be an aerosol type of boom. Lots of gas and particles ignite at once in a large but confined area. However, even that is a bit much. The one video that really shows the pressure waves over the water is hinting at something non-accidental. Plus look at the damage in that one photo. Containers are strewn and cranes are utterly destroyed. That blast wave was BIG, BIG, BIG
The only way magnesium does that is with nano particles, and that is still being developed to be able to turn it out in meaningful amounts. Most probably not mag on the blast.

BullGear

Private
Belligerents
Nov 29, 2017
Hazzard County
Too many small cook offs for it to be a grain elevator explosion. They go boom all at one time. This is a fire that started a chain reaction until the main fuel source went up. I don't know what exploded, but it was impressive.

2aBaCa

Old Salt
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Behind enemy lines Northern Commiefornia
Reports claim an inbound shipment of fireworks was the initial fire only speculations on the huge explosion.

What I find interesting is the dark reddish brown color of the initial explosion and the smoke/dust clowd immediately after.

UIUCPPQ

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 10, 2012
One of their generals says it was due to “confiscated highly explosive” materials and it would be naive to describe it as “due to fireworks”. Whatever caused it, that’s a lot of broken glass!