• New Site Changes

View thread We just went through a pretty major site upgrade, so if you see any issues feel free to post them here

WTF just blew up in Lebanon??

ChadL

Learning.
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Just amazing the destruction from it and then harmless when putting it on your lawn.

My first day in thermodynamics was after the okc bombing. We calculated the energy output from that explosion. If you remember they used ammonia nitrate and diesel. It’s scary shit when you put numbers to it.

OldSalty

Just salty.
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2019
  • Haha
Reactions: sandwarrior

Bolo

Apprentice of Disaster
PX Member
Minuteman
ANFO, even when made commercially with premixed prills by commercial companies who have the equipment, raw materials and processes, cannot produce a detonation velocity fast enough to produce the blast wave in any of these videos. That is why the number one user of commercial made ANFO is the mining industry. Low shock sensitivity, very forgiving material with a slow detonation velocity that works well in confined areas (like boreholes). It is designed to shatter rock without causing a mess. It can't produce a pressure wave like that.

Not to mention the age of this stuff. Ammonium Nitrate is EXTREMELY hydrophilic. This was stored for 6 years adjacent to the water and I am supposed to believe that this could spontaneously explode like that. Sure and monkeys will fly out my fucking fat ass.

Not to mention the practical difficulty with detonating a large pile of ANFO packaged in in discrete containers and randomly stored in some fucking building. That the story? Fucking bullshit! Setting off that much ANFO doesn't just happen. These aren't commercial prills carefully mixed in a properly sized borehole in solid rock. This is fucking old fertilizer with an inconsistent amount of ammonium nitrate. Mixing it with diesel and setting it off properly is BALONEY. It would require a huge number of discrete detonators timed properly otherwise you spread a ton of fertilizer all over the inside of that building. It could not happen spontaneously or through a fire or spark. It is complete fucking bullshit.
I will note there are a couple things (I won't say) that can be deliberately added to ANFO or URFO and one chemical (common in drag racing) added to AN that make that nice controlled 2700fps shockwave into a 6500+ fps one, close to TNT.
Screw up mixing ANCP (solid rocket fuel) and you end up with boom, not woosh, and you won't know it until after it's casted and dries (ask me how I know 😉 ).
Add in some very probable impurities and you're left with a couple possibilities sensitive enough to detonate with minimal shock or heat.

None of this occurs naturally. I'm just not buying the fert igniting story, or any story that doesn't involve someone with ill intent. I can only hope this is the logical conclusion of hiding a missile factory next to the bottle rocket depot, but I'll take Mossad intervention as a consolation prize.

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    Can anyone explain the small explosions before the bog one? In one of the videos, it shows small explosions, almost like fireworks going off. Can AN act in this manner?

Kir

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 15, 2019
    Sparks, NV
    Stop speculating and ask donald. He says he knows everything, even though he wasn't even on the scene...and no, his advisors didn't tell him, he doesn't listen to them. He works out everything from his gut...his big fat gut!

Reactions: MinnesotaMulisha

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    Stop speculating and ask donald. He says he knows everything, even though he wasn't even on the scene...and no, his advisors didn't tell him, he doesn't listen to them. He works out everything from his gut...his big fat gut!

Wow, seems like you're ready for a Biden presidency. Good luck with that.

army_eod

Retired Army
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Apr 20, 2008
    AL
    Lots of speculation. I am curious about the sequence. fire and what looks like fireworks or small arms cookoff? Then huge detonation.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    I will note there are a couple things (I won't say) that can be deliberately added to ANFO or URFO and one chemical (common in drag racing) added to AN that make that nice controlled 2700fps shockwave into a 6500+ fps one, close to TNT.
    Agreed

None of this occurs naturally. I'm just not buying the fert igniting story, or any story that doesn't involve someone with ill intent. I can only hope this is the logical conclusion of hiding a missile factory next to the bottle rocket depot, but I'll take Mossad intervention as a consolation prize.

That is my point as well. No accident caused that. There was some added help to this one

Kir

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 15, 2019
    Sparks, NV
    if you are going to make statements like that, you have to post pictures of your fantastic 6 pack. and your age.

you want to criticize him on decisions/policy, groovy. just base it on something legit instead of a dumbass personal attack- it reflects poorly on anyone doing it.

So I guess donald reflects poorly when he calls people names, mispronounces them, can't or won't read...a mind is a terrible thing to waste and I won't say he lost it a long time ago, rather, he never had one to begin with!

MtnCreek

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 6, 2012
    34-0-0 doesn't store for shit, especially in bulk bags. I don't see how that could be there for 6 yrs and not be a pile of mush.

Reactions: spartan67 and Nik H

EGwhisper

Blaster
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2017
    So I guess donald reflects poorly when he calls people names, mispronounces them, can't or won't read...a mind is a terrible thing to waste and I won't say he lost it a long time ago, rather, he never had one to begin with!

Hey, nobody gives a shit about your bashing opinion. Take that shit to the yahoo political forums. Run for president yourself if you don't like the job someone else is doing or at least provide factual info that contributes to the conversation.

MinnesotaMulisha

They call me "Baby Ruth."
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    Hey, nobody gives a shit about your bashing opinion. Take that shit to the yahoo political forums. Run for president yourself if you don't like the job someone else is doing or at least provide factual info that contributes to the conversation.
    Is somebody triggered? Lighten the fuck up already.

On another note, I wonder how much money we are going to borrow from China to send to Lebanon?

• Wow
    Reactions: sandwarrior

navynambu

Peace, if we can manage it.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 5, 2017
    Anasazi Land
    Looks like this CIA guy agrees with you chemical engineers here, that it was a pretty clearly a military propellant factory (given the orange color of the fireball) that went oops, and in any event wasn't just old fertilizer improperly stored:

"This is not just ammonium nitrate," former CIA operative says of explosion
    Robert Baer, a former CIA operative with extensive experience in the Middle East, said videos of Tuesday's blast showed that while ammonium nitrate may have been present in the warehouse, he does not believe it was responsible for the massive explosion that ensued.
    Initial reports blamed the blast on a major fire at a warehouse for firecrackers near the port, according to Lebanese state news agency NNA.
    Lebanon's Prime Minister, Hassan Diab, later said that 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive material used in fertilizers and bombs, had been stored for six years at a port warehouse without safety measures, "endangering the safety of citizens," according to a statement.
    Baer said he thinks that there were military munitions and propellants present. He speculated it could have been a weapons cache, but it's unclear who it belongs to.

"It was clearly a military explosive," he said. "It was not fertilizer like ammonium nitrate. I'm quite sure of that."
    "You look at that orange ball (of fire), and it's clearly, like I said, a military explosive."

Baer noted that white powder seen in the videos of the incident before the major blast are likely an indicator that ammonium nitrate was present and burning. He also noticed a lot of munitions going off ahead of the larger explosion.

No evidence of an attack: Baer said while he believes the explosion does not look like solely ammonium nitrate, there's still no evidence that this was an attack. The government has blamed poor management and vowed to get to the bottom of it.

"It almost looks like an accident," he said. "It was incompetence, and maybe it was corruption, but the question is whether it was military explosives, who was it going to or why was it stored there?"
    Baer isn't confident we'll ever know the truth.

"I've worked in Lebanon for years, and no one is going to want to admit they kept military explosives at the port. It's a stupid thing to do."

Investigation launched: Prime Minister Diab's account appeared to be backed by Lebanon's General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim, who said a "highly explosive material" had been confiscated years earlier and stored in the warehouse, just minutes' walk from Beirut's shopping and nightlife districts.

The Prime Minister has launched an investigation into the explosion, saying he "will not rest until we find those responsible for what happened, hold them accountable, and impose maximum punishment."

As yet, there is no clear evidence to suggest the source of the blast.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Looks like this CIA guy agrees with you chemical engineers here, that it was a pretty clearly a military propellant factory (given the orange color of the fireball) that went oops, and in any event wasn't just old fertilizer improperly stored:

"This is not just ammonium nitrate," former CIA operative says of explosion
    Robert Baer, a former CIA operative with extensive experience in the Middle East, said videos of Tuesday's blast showed that while ammonium nitrate may have been present in the warehouse, he does not believe it was responsible for the massive explosion that ensued.
    Initial reports blamed the blast on a major fire at a warehouse for firecrackers near the port, according to Lebanese state news agency NNA.
    Lebanon's Prime Minister, Hassan Diab, later said that 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive material used in fertilizers and bombs, had been stored for six years at a port warehouse without safety measures, "endangering the safety of citizens," according to a statement.
    Baer said he thinks that there were military munitions and propellants present. He speculated it could have been a weapons cache, but it's unclear who it belongs to.

"It was clearly a military explosive," he said. "It was not fertilizer like ammonium nitrate. I'm quite sure of that."
    "You look at that orange ball (of fire), and it's clearly, like I said, a military explosive."

Baer noted that white powder seen in the videos of the incident before the major blast are likely an indicator that ammonium nitrate was present and burning. He also noticed a lot of munitions going off ahead of the larger explosion.

No evidence of an attack: Baer said while he believes the explosion does not look like solely ammonium nitrate, there's still no evidence that this was an attack. The government has blamed poor management and vowed to get to the bottom of it.

Baer isn't confident we'll ever know the truth.

"I've worked in Lebanon for years, and no one is going to want to admit they kept military explosives at the port. It's a stupid thing to do."

Investigation launched: Prime Minister Diab's account appeared to be backed by Lebanon's General Security chief Abbas Ibrahim, who said a "highly explosive material" had been confiscated years earlier and stored in the warehouse, just minutes' walk from Beirut's shopping and nightlife districts.

The Prime Minister has launched an investigation into the explosion, saying he "will not rest until we find those responsible for what happened, hold them accountable, and impose maximum punishment."

As yet, there is no clear evidence to suggest the source of the blast.
    Wow

I am shocked...LMAO

R0man

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 24, 2019
    You expect lebanese authorities to admit "yeah, we were building some rockets there"?

army_eod

Retired Army
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Apr 20, 2008
    AL
    Still no definitive forensics by anybody I trust. This was a 2KT nuke equivalent yield minus the rad.

Reactions: Bender

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    :(

Yes, now they have a chance to 'regress' and start back again, where they used to be. Long before they 'improved', 'advanced', or 'progressed' into the "society" (and I use that term loosely, very loosely) that they were yesterday.

How does one go from "rock and stick technology" to "modern conveniences and happiness" to "rock and stick technology" and call that "improving"?

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
    Staff member
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    What does the Joker's nut house shaving kit, have to do with this?

Occam....he had a razor. A very simple tool.

LOL! The chicken is channeling his inner VeerG (God rest his soul)... Veer would be proud (and is likely chuckling right now, looking down on this). :LOL:

armorpl8chikn

Sqwirl Consigliere
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 17, 2010
    Western NC

armorpl8chikn

Sqwirl Consigliere
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 17, 2010
    Western NC
    My first day in thermodynamics was after the okc bombing. We calculated the energy output from that explosion. If you remember they used ammonia nitrate and diesel. It’s scary shit when you put numbers to it.

Funny you should mention another impossible explosion.

"ammonia nitrate and diesel"
    And you learned in thermodynamics that this combo would cut steel and shatter concrete?