• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing WTF my Walther P22 Blew UP!!!

beretta989

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
South Dakota Huron area
After 7,278rds My walther P22 Shit the BED!!!The slide broke clean off and smoked me in the chest in the middle of a mag dump on one of my steel targets Talk about almost making a mess in my pants!!!! Here is the Damage Guess I'll call Walther and see what they say. I'm still in shock this pistol has been tough as nails and has done everything short of loading itself. Just got off the phone with walther they said to send it In and they will take care of me 100%. So I guess off to the local gunshop I go. And yes I'm fine just sad my pistol is dead.
DSC00343.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

Re: WTF my Walther P22 Blew UP!!!

Pot metal slide...I hope mine survives. Glad you're okay.

Pot metal crap anyway (yes I have a couple), it doesn't surprise me at all. Buy a Ruger and be done with it.

You are probably one of the .01% that has ever shot that many rounds through one. Esp. suppressed.

Yeah, they're junk, but damned fun junk. There was a "Shop gun" that was generally laying about and supressed. It developed stress cracks and the barrel was a smooth bore in the 5-6k round count area. Had similar wear with the Sig Mosquito, just at a slower rate. Ruger is the way to go for long service life (can't believe I just typed that).

I had a Ruger mark 3 wasn't impressed just didn't run worth a crap. Mags were junk all ways seemed to jam with good and cheap ammo. I'll stand by my Walther P22 its my go to .22 Pistol.

Yeah, the Ruger 22's are kinda like old 1911's in that manner. They can be picky, and have to be dealt with using patience and soft tones.

I just wish the P22 was still reasonably priced. Popularity ruined it, and I won't buy a used one for the exact reasons shown in your pics.

I am glad that Walther says they'll do you right though. Keep us posted.

I was kinda wondering when He only asked how old it was and how many rounds it had through it. Me ya I'm fine thanks for asking no I'm not gonna Sue you.

Die cast slide I believe and its broken now.

Eyes and fingers are not easily replaced.
Gun parts can.

Glad your OK.

Pretty common on the Walthers. I went with an old Ruger MK1 and won't go back. Somebody should machine a proper slide for those P22's cause they are damn fun.

Glad you didnt get hurt... Nice that Walthers is fixing it for you as well. Nice to see a company stand behind its product

$250 dollar gun or $2.5 million dollar lawsuit? Walther made the right call.

Maybe their engineering guys will take another look at the design, before somebody gets smoked.

With a .22 they can't very well blame it on reloads.

This has happened to hundreds if not thousands of the p22's. They aren't doing shit about it besides replacing the slides. Mine did it after about 3000 rounds. Most of the time it just cracks but sometimes it lets loose.

broke two suppressed. one snapped off at the threads and the other was identical to your pic.

there isn't a lot holding that together as the slide and barrel flop around... i've been threading the rugers now, setting the sight back just over 1/2" and the sight covers the original hole nicely so it isn't seen. nothing tougher than a ruger for something like a can. the little browning buckmark isn't bad either for this, just not as easy to work on.

this is one i kept for myself... somewhere in the neighborhood of 24K rounds before i just revamped it:

224099_10150243500071584_88228341583_8804061_5262463_n.jpg

224787_10150243499551584_88228341583_8804046_8160290_n.jpg

thanks... let me know if you need some help. by the way, i'd heard, but never bothered myself, that there had been some warranty for these breakages. you might check into it. if nothing else, you could get it running and sell it to offset the cost of doing a ruger up...

Walther is asking for some bad mojo, if they let this thing keep going without a recall.

I run a Tactical Solutions upper on a Ruger frame with a screw on Johns Guns can. Haven't had any trouble with my set up, but I worry about the aluminum threads being a little fragile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren't the Walther slides MiM? </div></div>
Yes, made of zinc. Would be good on my boat hull.

If the slide is zinc or aluminum, it is likely formed with a standard die-casting process (not MIM).

Given the fact that this slide broke at a spot of minimum cross-section, it is kinda hard to pin the failure solely on the manufacturing process.

Now ill be waiting for the impact in my chest the next time I take the P22 out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the slide is zinc or aluminum, it is likely formed with a standard die-casting process (not MIM).

Given the fact that this slide broke at a spot of minimum cross-section, it is kinda hard to pin the failure solely on the manufacturing process. </div></div>

True but it is de rigueur to pick on MiM whenever possible so I was just doing my part. I looked it up and the slide and serial numbered frame inserts are MiM on the P22. The munufacturing process may have had nothing to do with it but it sure is fun and easy to blame MiM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Merc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now ill be waiting for the impact in my chest the next time I take the P22 out! </div></div>

It was about like getting hit with a paintball gun from 10ft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Merc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now ill be waiting for the impact in my chest the next time I take the P22 out! </div></div>

It was about like getting hit with a paintball gun from 10ft.</div></div>

Wear a SAAPI plate. You wont feel a thing.

I had the sam thing happen on my gun after 4k or so. It flew right past my head! Walther made it right and replaced my slide as well. I went with the ruger as well. (You can't look cool when you flinch everytime you pull the trigger on a 22)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300winman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (You can't look cool when you flinch everytime you pull the trigger on a 22) </div></div>

Hahaha, true.

I have a P22/outback combo, might be time to look at the Ruger.
Anyone try the Sig version?

glad your alright and i hope walther makes good on it. my partner had his walther pps blow up and walter said it was faulty ammunition and didnt cover it. however cabelas made good on it because that where i bought the ammo and they replaced the gun for free. I thought the p22 slides were made out of zinc?

Zinc (AKA potmetal) is diecast, a totally different method from MIM (which can be VERY high quality).

I thought it would be a good idea to make a broken slide retainer (ALA Beretta 92)for these guns.

These will be available in grey for $1.99 and black or OD (shown in pic for clarity) for an add'l $1.00 upcharge, (shipping and handling will be $8.95).

Don't tell anyone as I don't have all the patent work done on these, yet.

2011-05-23_10-12-54_493.jpg

I'll get a hold of Lowlight and donate a roll....I mean 100 of these to the SH Cup so I don't get in trouble for advertising here.

Must be something with suppressed auto pistols ... I saw a Sig with a can on it break in the same spot a couple weeks ago. My buds P22 also broke in the same place at about 5k rounds. Yah I know a 22 and a 9mm Sig are worlds apart but a can on a auto loader pistol must put additional stress on the slide in that area. Im no suppressor guru by any means ... just kind of seeing a trend in that spot. Glad your okay and that Walther is gonna take care of it.

Reloads are to blame....obviously. guns don't blow up or break with factory ammo....

I've wanted a Sig or Walther 22 for some time but the failures kept me away. I picked up a .22 slide for my Sig P220 yesterday. Now this seems like it will last forever. More what you would expect from Sig, AND dont have to deal with a gun not really big enough for my hand. If its half as accurate as the 220 in .45 its GTG. I'm happy to put it next to my S&W 41, 46 and Buckmark.

Dang. I have a at least 5k rounds threw mine now and last 2k have been suppressed.

Its really too bad that this has to be happening, as the P22 is a wonderful host. While I say its mine it was actually picked out by my wife as her valentines day present about 5 or 6yrs ago. I as starting to rethink letting her shoot it. I don't think she would get over it very well if it hit her in the titty. O'well as long as the S&W 38spl ladysmiths don't start kaboom'ing she'll be ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: damoncali</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ouch. What ammo were you using? </div></div>

CCI Mini-Mag 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose

WOW, glad you are OK. I was seriously considering getting one for my wife, until I saw this. I've never shot or handled a p22, but I think I'm gonna go with a buckmark for my wife. I have one that I've had for 10+ years and love it. She would never shoot again if she had a gun come apart on her.

piss on ruger mk2 or 3s had them get a browning buckmark and call it a day just my 02 cents

Not mine as I don't have a pic handy.
images_48294.jpg

If you are looking for a hardworking .22 pistol to put a can on, look no further than the Whitney Wolverine. Have personally put over 15k rounds through mine and the only thing I ever had to replace was the firing pin ($10). Not too shabby for a pistol made over 50 years ago. Fixed barrel comes pre-threaded for a can due to the spring retainer design, and it runs great suppressed. The only downside is the price of spare mags ($40). I was told Olympic arms even started making them again a few years ago with a polymer receiver and integral forward rail. Though the new ones are supposedly less reliable.

Yeah , with what shipping is nowadays...(what, $50 minimum for the ridiculous overnight everyone requires?) HAVING to eat it makes sending anything in for repairs a matter of deciding whether a local gunsmith repairing a firearm is cheaper or not. Granted in this case...that wasn't an option.

Knowing of a potential issue makes it difficult for me to buy that pistol.

Sounds like you got a good deal on a "previously enjoyed" pistol. I would have been more than happy to have paid $9.75.