• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTF with my DPMS LR-6.5

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm almost at my wits end with this rifle. Of course I can never leave anything alone, and like an idiot, I damaged the gas block while putting on a new fore end. So I ordered a JP adjustable block, but the rifle is still not feeding. It will feed maybe 1 in 10 rounds. The adjustment is all the way out. Sometimes it will jam a round in the feed ramp and destroy the brass. The rifle is still fairly new, maybe 150 rounds through it. I put a Magpul PRS on it and thought it was the supplied screw being to long, so I shortened it but that made no difference. I dont know what do. Maybe I damaged the gas tube? It looks fine to me. I've tried every lube oil I have- lots of it, barely any, and no change. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: WTF with my DPMS LR-6.5

I'll ask... is your gas block line up correctly?

The Magpul stock may be your culprit. Did your rifle come with a collapsable stock? If so, you will need to change the buffer and spring or she won't treat you right.
Also, you may not have the gas block matched up right to the vent hole in the barrel.
I do hope you shot it some before you started changing things out so you know whether or not you put the problem on it or it was already there. DPMS QC can be spotty at times.

Yea, it was a great shooter right out of the box. It originally had an A2 stock on in (fixed), but because of knuckle dragger length arms, it didnt feel right, so it was the first to go. Im pretty sure I have the gas hole lined up correctly. I used my Wheeler Level-Level-Level scope level to make sure it was parallel with the rail on the receiver.

Remove the gas block and inspect. You should be able to tell by the carbon build up if it is aligned. I take a pencil and make a mark on the front of the GB that lines up with the gas hole and do the same on the barrel. When the two marks line up you can be pretty sure the holes do too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do hope you shot it some before you started changing things out so you know whether or not you put the problem on it or it was already there. </div></div>

Yup.

I dont know DPMS LR308's intimately, but I know POF's damned sure won't run right with the wrong buffer:
http://www.pof-usa.net/technical/P308FixedStockBuffer.htm

Well, forget about the hour. Here's what I got:
IMAG0032.jpg

I'd say it was lined up pretty well, maybe needs to come forward a little bit.
Here are some of gas tube, both at the block and the bolt. Is the carbon leaking a little excessive?
IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

Have you tried reducing the gas? Often folks think its short stroking and jamming, when its actually overgassed and the bolt speed is too high.

But then again, I know nuhsssinnnghh!!

Never thought of it that way. But wouldn't that affect ejection rather than loading? Once the bolt is all the way back against the buffer, its velocity is zero and its speed back into battery would be determined by the buffer spring, correct?

not saying youd do this but did you get 308 or 556 stock/buffer, sounds like buffer/spring problem

Re-install the gas block and level it with the receiver top. Turn the adjustment screw all the way in and then one turn out. Load one round in the chamber and an empty magazine in the rifle. Fire the round. Your trying to make the bolt lock back on the empty magazine. If it fails to lock back fire one more round but only after opening the gas block one more turn. If you can get the bolt to lock back then the gas block is allowing enough gas to operate the rifle. My LR308 was over gassed at 24" and still is at 20". If the problem persist replace the A2 stock, original buffer and spring and re-test. Your just trying to eliminate the problem by checking one thing at a time.

Trust me, the problem will become apparent going about it this way. Good luck

No, it probably would not.
You have good advice from wnroscoe.
It appeared to me that the holes in the barrel and block were not lined up 100%. Redo with marking and leveling and then follow the procedure outlined by wnroscoe.

Well I put everything back together and went out to the range today. I guess I am over gassing it. I had the port all the way open (and naturally I left the allen wrench to adjust it at home). My softer loads (about 2800fps) where cycling pretty well, a mis-load about every 4-5 rounds (which is a step in the right direction). The hotter the load I put in it, the more the problems began to arise, until the fucking buffer retainer popped out and jammed the bolt. It took me forever to take it down to get that little bastard out. Not sure how it came out either but the little finger on it was bent to shit.
I think Im gonna stick to bolt guns.

"I think Im gonna stick to bolt guns."

In the last two years I've been thru a DPMS and LWRC Reaper in 308. They are both gone to new homes and I have no plans to replace them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I think Im gonna stick to bolt guns."

In the last two years I've been thru a DPMS and LWRC Reaper in 308. They are both gone to new homes and I have no plans to replace them.
</div></div>

They do have a fair degree of certainty. However, I still can imagine how frustrating this all must be for the OP and the issues he's having with his weapon. I know DPMS makes a good rifle, my dad shoots one in .243, and that thing works great, and is a tack driver. I hope the issues work themselves out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I put everything back together and went out to the range today. <span style="color: #3366FF">I guess I am over gassing it.</span> I had the port all the way open (and naturally I left the allen wrench to adjust it at home). My softer loads (about 2800fps) where cycling pretty well, a mis-load about every 4-5 rounds (which is a step in the right direction). The hotter the load I put in it, the more the problems began to arise, until the fucking buffer retainer popped out and jammed the bolt. It took me forever to take it down to get that little bastard out. <span style="color: #3366FF"> Not sure how it came out either but the little finger on it was bent to shit</span>.
I think Im gonna stick to bolt guns. </div></div>

Ya think???

Ummm, start closed and then open one turn at a time until it will cycle and lock back on a mag single loaded as MrRoscoe said. Starting full open and then increasing loads was just asking for trouble, and makes one wonder why you even asked for advice....