• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTK: A good out-of-the-box shooter

SOLO LOBO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2008
Hazard ky
My son is looking to get in to BR shooting .22cal. What is a good bolt action,to start out with? something that's a shooter "out-of-the-box".round or under $800./ I don't want to do a build,until I see that he is going to stay with it.

Re: WTK: A good out-of-the-box shooter

Find a nice used Anschutz.

Go to rimfirecentral.com and do some research on the different models. Might even find a nice gun in the classifieds.

Brad

No experience with BR, but I think that any of the CZs or a Ruger 77/22 would work great.

Go to Benchrest Central and look in the classifieds
Cheapest route is used Anschutz or Suhl
If you can find a 40X or 52D they do well also.
Buy a nice used rig and you wont lose much if any on a resale.
1/2"+ guns wont cut it.

Yep as others have said pick up a good used Anschutz or Suhl 150 under $1000. None of the typical 22's are going to shoot as well as they do and he will need something at least capable of serious accuracy to hope to be competitive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126230677
</div></div>

Someone's gonna get a great deal on that one! </div></div>

$605 isn't bad. I'm watched it untill 2hrs short and backed off. I have to admit I am regretting that.

Look into Remington 504T-HB, Sako Finnfire Hunter and Varmint. All known to be good shooters, good lookers. These go $650-$800 used.You have PM

An Anschutz is gonna be your best bet if you can find a decent used one.

If you still do not want to go with big bucks SAVAGE MK II FVT out of the box are very very accurate under $400 NIB.

There's a Suhl 150 at J&G sales in Prescott AZ right now.I saw it yesterday on the shelf and was wanting it myself but work is slow.It was around $800.

It would be the ultimate 22 for the money!

Steve