• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTK: LC LR vs. LC Match 7.62 brass capacity

colt933

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Tennessee
I recently acquired thousands of rounds of once-fired 7.62 LC Match brass with headstamps varying from the sixties to the eighties. It came out of an ROTC program. Its capacity (water) is almost exactly 95% that of new commercial Winchester .308 brass.

I see many references here to LC LR brass.

What is the case capacity of LC LR brass compared to either commercial Winchester or LC Match?

Thanks!

Re: WTK: LC LR vs. LC Match 7.62 brass capacity

there is no differance, the only thing that changed was the head stamp markings and the ridges around the base of the case.

Re: WTK: LC LR vs. LC Match 7.62 brass capacity

I'm too old (and cheap this year) to have any of that newfangled LR brass.

Send me 10 and I can compare them for you, either fired in my chamber compared to the old LC and FA fired in my chamber, or all resized in the same die. I do it all.

Or I can send you 10 of mine. PM with delivery info, whichever you prefer.

My notes spreadsheet is puked, but I remember that the LC 86 and FA 63 stuff I have is pretty much identical, and more recent FC commercial was within less than 1 grain of water capacity, older FC clustered around two points of more capacity, and Hornady Match brass was quite a bit more roomy.

Since the legends of FC brass being more spacious than USGI are now false, I'd verify everything now.