• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WTK-Paint Removal on B&L Elite

SDWhirlwind

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
Picked up one of the older B&L Elite 4000 10X scopes off fleabay. It has gloss black paint on it and some FDE looking color on base of turrets. Wondering what will work to remove the paint that won't harm the anodizing on the B&L tube finish and also it same remover will remove the FDE or whatever color below turret knob and not remove the white in the numbers/hashs???

Have no idea what type/kind/brand of paint was used!

Any help appreciated. Figured this is one time to ask BEFORE I try something that causes the aluminum to disappear!
smile.gif

Respectfully,
Dennis

Re: WTK-Paint Removal on B&L Elite

Go to Home Depot and get a can of Kleen Strip paste stripper(red can). Use a toothbrush to apply it and paper towels, qtips and tooth picks to remove it. Go slow and dont get anything on the glass!

I've used fine mesh steel wool with no issues, whatsoever. You don't even need any chemicals, just the elbow grease.

I've used citristrip (orange paste stuff from Walmart) and elbow grease. Tooth brush and old cotton T-shirt. If used to long one place it took some of the gold lettering off a Nikon monarch but overall it worked well and didn't damage the matte black finish.

I have used citri-srip as well, to remove paint and duracoat from a matte finish scopes, like it was never painted. Just make sure not to spray it into or around the adjustment ring.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Got the front half stripped off decent. Now I am probably gonna regret asking/saying this cause I should not better but......any chance these were ever finished from B&L in OD green???

The gloss or semi gloss black paint(yea, why shiney?) softens easy with Brake Cleaner. Spray it on a paper towel and soak up paint then using a popsicle stick to scrape most of it off. The OD green underneath is not into the notches/numbers on the letters etc. A real nice even coat in OD green so is the reason for my stupid "did B&L ever make some in OD green question. Would Duracoat soften with brake cleaner? I know one chance in a thousand the OD is factory but I had to ask!

Will work on the back half here in a bit or wait until tomorrow. Gonna be more time consuming then the front 1/2 with the parallax ring and the eyepiece and its lock ring! Might see about getting some regular paint stripper tomorrow like the citri-strip etc.

Thanks again everyone and have a Super Memorial Day Weekend and don't forget the real reason for the Holiday!

Respectfully,
Dennis